PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It wouldn't happen to the Koran: Pope attacks Glasgow art gallery's invitation to vandalise a Bible

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1202632/Pope-attacks-art-vandalising-Bible.html#ixzz0MZRZeeQG

The Pope has condemned a ' disgusting' taxpayer-funded exhibition in which visitors are urged to deface the Bible.
Visitors were offered pens by gallery bosses so they could scrawl comments on the text - leading to a host of puerile and obscene remarks.

Pope Benedict XVI believes the stunt would not have been contemplated with a copy of the Koran.

His anger over the show, organised by council-funded arts body Culture
and Sport Glasgow, was expressed by a senior Vatican priest.

The adviser to the Pope said: 'It is disgusting and offensive. They would not think of doing it to the Koran.'
Public complaints about the exhibit at the prestigious Gallery of Modern Art in Glasgow have forced organisers to put the vandalised Bible on show in a locked case, while still allowing visitors to write comments on blank sheets of paper.

The Made In God's Image exhibit is the work of Glasgow artist Anthony Schrag.
He wanted gays and transsexuals who felt left out of religion to 'write their way back in' to the holy text.
Mr Schrag worked with members of the Metropolitan Community Church (MCC) in Edinburgh on the project. But MCC minister Jane Clarke said: 'I had hoped people would show respect for the Bible.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1202632/Pope-attacks-art-vandalising-Bible.html#ixzz0MZRn11Si

Y_Cathol

Ego Sum Servus Iesu Christi - I am an exile.
May 17, 2004
Alberton
Visit site
✟17,424.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You know, My grandmother before she died had taught me to never even put anything on TOP of my Bible, so much respect she had...

I find that highly disrespectful that they'd do things like that, and that people would partake.

I'm glad the Pope spoke out.

Upvote 0

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟14,820.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That's a great endorsement for religion in general and belief in God!
Pope Benedict's measured response is fitting of the religion that he represents, and the response of the jihadists is fitting to the spiritual forces that they are serving as well.

Is the failure to differentiate between the two responses a fitting reflection of where you are at in your own particular faith journey, or is it just politically expedient for you to lump all religious responses into the same basket?

Upvote 0

seeker777

Thinking is not a sin.
Jun 15, 2008
✟9,354.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Why do you hang around here just to make sarcastic comments? Are you a former Catholic? :confused:

Can one be a former Catholic or is one a Catholic forever?

A veteran member on a hardcore Catholic forum ( 1ke) has this to say...

'You are a Catholic forever. As I said, ontologically baptism imparts a character to your soul.

So, yes, if you are baptized a Catholic you are always Catholic.'

:crossrc:

When someone leaves a comment on a public forum, indicating that they believe a person would be willing to murder another who disrespects their Holy Book...then yes, I'm going to make a point of responding to such a comment.

I have the distinct impression, that only like minded posts are appreciated around here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeker777

Thinking is not a sin.
Jun 15, 2008
✟9,354.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Pope Benedict's measured response is fitting of the religion that he represents, and the response of the jihadists is fitting to the spiritual forces that they are serving as well.

It still, generally speaking, reflects very poorly on religion and belief in God. In that people are willing to slaughter each other over a lack of respect shown to a book.

Is the failure to differentiate between the two responses a fitting reflection of where you are at in your own particular faith journey, or is it just politically expedient for you to lump all religious responses into the same basket?

Neither.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

I have the distinct impression, that only like minded posts are appreciated around here.

At the risk of encouraging the idea that thinking is viewed as sin, what is appreciated is when people can discuss current events in the context of their beliefs without being hindered by challenges to those beliefs. People don't go to Comic Con eager to defend their interests, and people post here expecting that certain things are agreed upon for the sake of conversation. At least, that's my observation.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Apostates are not in communion with the Church and excommunicates are also not in the Church.
Confession [with a contrite heart] can mend the problems. But remember contrite is the healer.

When one is far away from a relationship with God due to sin, the grace one can obtain is distant until the relationship is healed by humility and desire to be near God again and crave the graces.

ANYWAY - PassthePeace - this is horrible.
Defacing the Bible to write themselves back in wont work, especially in light of what i just said.

Contrition peeps...contrition. Not disobedience and dissidence.

:hug: to the Pope.
Always the voice of Christianity.

Upvote 0

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟14,820.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It still, generally speaking, reflects very poorly on religion and belief in God. In that people are willing to slaughter each other over a lack of respect shown to a book.
The boorish lack of respect of books that are held in such high esteem by religious people reflects very poorly on the irreligious. Consider how many religious people that the irreligious have been willing to slaughter over lack of respect for the Almighty State, or how listless and banal a life must be that it gains fulfillment by provoking the peaceful.

The lack of respect for a book is one thing. The lack of purpose that leads the listless and the bored to become so engaged is indicative of lives that have been debased to something lower than animals.

Neither. Nothing. Nada.

I agree precisely that this is where you are not at.

Nihilism.

Upvote 0

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟14,820.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Those who perpetrated this event, wouldn't do it with the Koran, because they know they'd be hunted down and killed.

Jim
I personally am very much in agreement that scripture should be tested with a whole host of scientific, literary and historical criticisms.

The blasphemous are actually so pathetically a part of the culture of death that they have no future anyways.

The problem with Islam is not that so many will hunt down and kill the perversely blasphemous— who are all but spiritually dead anyways— but that they will hunt down and kill and imprison,and torture, and maim and terrorize any scholar that dares analyze their scripture in ways not to their liking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟14,820.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Do tell, the suspense is killing me! What's lower than an animal?
Seek, seeker.
Seek and ye shall find.

Or just read what has already been posted. People that get their jollies by scrawling blasphemies across the Bible really, really, really need to get a life.

Reactions: WarriorAngel
Upvote 0
K

KeenanParkerII

Disgusting..

Forget religion. I would harm anyone who would express such disrespect for another's culture and heritage in such a way, no questions asked. And with all due respect I could care less if it's against the rules, or irks someone the wrong way.

To assert that the Bible, the Qur'an, or the Torah is simply a book is absolutely naive. Each represents a focal point of the three most influential cultures on Earth. A man does not disrespect another's culture unless he's gunning for a fight. And while I acknowledge I have never read a word of the Qur'an, I would passionately defend it against anyone intent on defacing it for the sake of entertainment.

That! ..reflects poorly on our society, and anyone who would make light of those actions.

Ugh.. absolutely disgusting..

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.