It was too late for Eve, by the time she went to Adam...

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Eve had already eaten the fruit before she went to Adam with it, she did not consult with or talk to or with Adam about it before doing so. I believe this is why Adam did it, even though he was not being deceived by the serpents words, he knew it would be all bad, but also knew it was to late for Eve, and chose to share in her fate afterward, which he knew would be all bad... I don't think it would have happened otherwise...

It probably broke Adam's heart that she had already done it and didn't consult him first. I suspect the serpent had already tried it with Adam sometime prior to that but he knew better. He was probably hurt by her lack of respect of his headship and trusting the serpent more than him or what he had told her about the fruit that God said, and had already eaten of it before coming to him about or with it. He knew it was to late for her and loved her so very much that he didn't want to be separated from her even in her fate that he knew would be all bad. So, he ate...

Is that love?

I've done this with a particular woman. Threw my lot in with hers even though I knew in the depth's of the pit of my soul that she was wrong and it would be, basically, all bad. It's not that I was afraid, or afraid of her or didn't want to argue or fight, although maybe, a few times, in a few moments of weakness, it might have been.

But, primarily, I knew that changing it would require breaking her heart or breaking her spirit and it would not happen overnight and that in order to even try or even attempt to change it, it might and probably would wind or end up in my losing her altogether and I just loved her too damn much.

Eventually, I feel like I was forced into resolving myself to committing to attempting to change it, and, in the process, I did lose her. We both were about to suffer a fate worse than death is what made me decide to attempt to do so, or else, I feel like "someone" was telling me...

God Bless!

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eve had already eaten the fruit before she went to Adam with it, she did not consult with or talk to or with Adam about it before doing so. I believe this is why Adam did it, even though he was not being deceived by the serpents words, he knew it would be all bad, but also knew it was to late for Eve, and chose to share in her fate afterward, which he knew would be all bad... I don't think it would have happened otherwise...

Personally, I think it may have been because he misunderstood God's words and took them literally.
God had said, "on the day you do this, you will die". They did, spiritually; the relationship between them and God was broken. But possibly Adam was expecting Eve to die immediately and physically. When she didn't, he might have thought that there would be no consequences, and ate the fruit.

I don't think he would have deliberately disobeyed God just so that Eve wouldn't be alone in her punishment. There is nothing to suggest that this was the case. In fact when God confronted him and asked what had happened, he tried to blame Eve; the women you created gave me the fruit and I ate it. If what you are suggesting was true, he could have said, "well I saw that Eve had already sinned and brought sickness/death into the world, so my actions wouldn't have made any difference, and I didn't want her to be the only one who was punished." Had he done so, he might have been punished for disobedience, but he would surely have been commended for his love and selflessness.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sww
Personally, I think it may have been because he misunderstood God's words and took them literally.
God had said, "on the day you do this, you will die". They did, spiritually; the relationship between them and God was broken. But possibly Adam was expecting Eve to die immediately and physically. When she didn't, he might have thought that there would be no consequences, and ate the fruit.

I don't think he would have deliberately disobeyed God just so that Eve wouldn't be alone in her punishment. There is nothing to suggest that this was the case. In fact when God confronted him and asked what had happened, he tried to blame Eve; the women you created gave me the fruit and I ate it. If what you are suggesting was true, he could have said, "well I saw that Eve had already sinned and brought sickness/death into the world, so my actions wouldn't have made any difference, and I didn't want her to be the only one who was punished." Had he done so, he might have been punished for disobedience, but he would surely have been commended for his love and selflessness.

Seems also as if he was blaming God for having given him a tempting companion.

Genesis 3:12-15
12 The Man said, “The Woman you gave me as a companion, she gave me fruit from the tree, and, yes, I ate it.”

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Start with the basic truths of the passage:

Eve didn't know she was sinning when she ate the fruit.
Adam did know he was sinning against God when he ate the fruit.
She repeated word for word what she had been told not to do when questioned and hid after she did it.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She repeated word for word what she had been told not to do when questioned and hid after she did it.

She didn't repeat word for word; she added a bit.
And Eve was created after Adam had been given the command from God - there is no evidence that God told Eve directly.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
She didn't repeat word for word; she added a bit.
And Eve was created after Adam had been given the command from God - there is no evidence that God told Eve directly.
If he didn't tell her directly it's because she didn't need to be told;d directly in order to understand, appreciate the moral implications and to obey. If indeed she needed to be told directly in order to remain morally upright and wasn't told directly, then we would be justified in blaming God for what happened as Adam indirectly did. In short, that view would necessitate our envisioning God as unjust.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If he didn't tell her directly it's because she didn't need to be told;d directly in order to understand, appreciate the moral implications and to obey.

No, she didn't. But I'm saying that if she had been told directly - heard God's voice for herself - then she wouldn't have got it wrong when she answered the serpent. She probably wouldn't have been able to be deceived either. Why didn't the serpent tempt Adam? Very likely because Adam had heard the command directly from God; he was in no doubt and had no excuse. Whoever told Eve; she didn't hear/remember what she was told.

That's probably why, centuries later, Paul said that women should be allowed to learn so they could not be deceived like Eve was.

If indeed she needed to be told directly in order to remain morally upright and wasn't told directly, then we would be justified in blaming God for what happened as Adam indirectly did.

God no doubt trusted Adam to be able to explain it to her.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, she didn't. But I'm saying that if she had been told directly - heard God's voice for herself - then she wouldn't have got it wrong when she answered the serpent. She probably wouldn't have been able to be deceived either. Why didn't the serpent tempt Adam? Very likely because Adam had heard the command directly from God; he was in no doubt and had no excuse. Whoever told Eve; she didn't hear/remember what she was told.

That's probably why, centuries later, Paul said that women should be allowed to learn so they could not be deceived like Eve was.

God no doubt trusted Adam to be able to explain it to her.
So are you saying that God entrusted her salvation to Adam's proficiency in explaining that simple command to her and that Adam botched the job?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So are you saying that God entrusted her salvation to Adam's proficiency in explaining that simple command to her and that Adam botched the job?

No; neither of them needed salvation at that point. They had done nothing wrong - sin had not entered the world.
I'm saying that since we are not told that God directly told Eve not to eat from the tree, it's reasonable to assume that Adam told her. Either he passed it on incorrectly, or Eve was talking/not listening at the time - because when she repeated God's command to the serpent, she got it wrong. She did not say, word for word what God had told Adam.
This latter view would also explain why Paul said that women should learn in silence.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No; neither of them needed salvation at that point. They had done nothing wrong - sin had not entered the world.
I'm saying that since we are not told that God directly told Eve not to eat from the tree, it's reasonable to assume that Adam told her. Either he passed it on incorrectly, or Eve was talking/not listening at the time - because when she repeated God's command to the serpent, she got it wrong. She did not say, word for word what God had told Adam.
This latter view would also explain why Paul said that women should learn in silence.
Yes, I know that they were not sinful at that stage. I meant salvation from falling prey to Satan's temptation in reference to the fruit. How are her words and God's instructions different? I always understood them as identical to the way she had been told. Is it the part about not touching the fruit? That additional info could have been added later. In any case, any additional details such as not looking or touching would make the prohibition even more strict and not more amenable to be ignored.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

It probably broke Adam's heart that she had already done it and didn't consult him first. I suspect the serpent had already tried it with Adam sometime prior to that but he knew better. He was probably hurt by her lack of respect of his headship and trusting the serpent more than him or what he had told her about the fruit that God said, and had already eaten of it before coming to him about or with it. He knew it was to late for her and loved her so very much that he didn't want to be separated from her even in her fate that he knew would be all bad. So, he ate...

Is that love?

I've done this with a particular woman. Threw my lot in with hers even though I knew in the depth's of the pit of my soul that she was wrong and it would be, basically, all bad. It's not that I was afraid, or afraid of her or didn't want to argue or fight, although maybe, a few times, in a few moments of weakness, it might have been.

But, primarily, I knew that changing it would require breaking her heart or breaking her spirit and it would not happen overnight and that in order to even try or even attempt to change it, it might and probably would wind or end up in my losing her altogether and I just loved her too damn much.

Eventually, I feel like I was forced into resolving myself to committing to attempting to change it, and, in the process, I did lose her. We both were about to suffer a fate worse than death is what made me decide to attempt to do so, or else, I feel like "someone" was telling me...

God Bless!
I'd like to note that nothing happened to Eve the instant she ate, it wasn't until Adam did also, in that moment, both were changed, I believe cause Adam knew he had just done wrong, but when Eve did, she didn't...

This scripture might shed some light on this: Proverbs 3:20- "This is the way of an adulterous woman: She eats and wipes her mouth, And says, “I have done no wrong.”

Eve was adulterous with the serpent, trusting and believing what it said, over God, and over Adam...

Eve was fully convinced it was not wrong, that's what she believed, so, nothing happened, but, Adam did believe and know it was wrong, and as the head, his belief altered both of their realities...

God Bless!

Reactions: Radrook
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to note that nothing happened to Eve the instant she ate,

Except that she had sinned against God and was separated from him.
This is, I believe, what God meant when he said "on the day you eat it, you will die". Adam saw that Eve had not died - physically - so he went ahead and ate the fruit.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Except that she had sinned against God and was separated from him.
This is, I believe, what God meant when he said "on the day you eat it, you will die". Adam saw that Eve had not died - physically - so he went ahead and ate the fruit.
That's one possible line of thinking about it, but, there are other possibilities...

I think we can guess and theorize, but, since it doesn't specifically say, we shouldn't latch on to anything for sure beyond what the scripture says and can tell us...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Unlikely.

The concept of "Shakespearean love" has not existed yet in the time of Adam.

The "til death do us part" is a pagan/heathen concept of idolizing male-female relationships.

The Israeli culture prior to the corruption of the gentiles is a relatively unemotional culture. Love is more of a duty than an emotion or a feeling.

But Israel tried to force the hand of God to become more like the gentiles. So Israel did become more gentile in culture but it wasn't a favor from God but a curse.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Unlikely.

The concept of "Shakespearean love" has not existed yet in the time of Adam.

The "til death do us part" is a pagan/heathen concept of idolizing male-female relationships.

The Israeli culture prior to the corruption of the gentiles is a relatively unemotional culture. Love is more of a duty than an emotion or a feeling.

But Israel tried to force the hand of God to become more like the gentiles. So Israel did become more gentile in culture but it wasn't a favor from God but a curse.
How do you think you can know what the love between Adam and Eve was like before the fall...?

What your talking about came after the fall... You can't know what the Love between Adam and Eve was like before the fall...?

Their Love was perfect before the fall, and was and is higher and better and greater than anything (Shakespearean Love) we came or have come to know after the fall...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How do you think you can know what the love between Adam and Eve was like before the fall...?

What your talking about came after the fall... You can't know what the Love between Adam and Eve was like before the fall...?

Jesus mentioned it in the Gospels "loving your brothers and sisters in Truth".

That love is often demonstrated through mercy, duty, and Truth above all. Jesus is of the Father and it is the Father who created Adam - in a world before corruption took over. Therefore, that love should be the same.

Their Love was perfect before the fall, and was and is higher and better and greater than anything (Shakespearean Love) we came or have come to know after the fall...

As I've said above. It's more about the results than pleasure or emotions, etc.

If we look at the world today, I'd say we are an extremely unloving species. Driving many animals to extinction, robbing their homes, not doing anything about poverty, loving the corrupt ways of the world.

Upvote 0

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Adam was with her
So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings.

Upvote 0

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Jesus mentioned it in the Gospels "loving your brothers and sisters in Truth".

That love is often demonstrated through mercy, duty, and Truth above all. Jesus is of the Father and it is the Father who created Adam - in a world before corruption took over. Therefore, that love should be the same.

As I've said above. It's more about the results than pleasure or emotions, etc.

If we look at the world today, I'd say we are an extremely unloving species. Driving many animals to extinction, robbing their homes, not doing anything about poverty, loving the corrupt ways of the world.
Adam was with Eve

So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves coverings.

Upvote 0