Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OT is the Jew's history. It's their witnessing and testimonies. It's thus there Canon.

1/3rd of the NT is a direct quote or inference of the OT. Moreover, when a person like Paul says, "all scripture is inspired by God and can be used to teach, correct and instruct" (paraphrased) he is talking about the Scripture of his time... not the NT as that was still 140 years off. In fact, most of the NT works hadn't even been written yet. The "OT" isn't just "their witnessing," it is the basis for the NT and that which testifies of Messiah... he said so himself.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟237,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1/3rd of the NT is a direct quote or inference of the OT. Moreover, when a person like Paul says, "all scripture is inspired by God and can be used to teach, correct and instruct" (paraphrased) he is talking about the Scripture of his time... not the NT as that was still 140 years off. In fact, most of the NT works hadn't even been written yet. The "OT" isn't just "their witnessing," it is the basis for the NT and that which testifies of Messiah... he said so himself.

That's why the Jews are legitimate in canonize the OT, as the OT literally belongs to them.

NT has a different theory disregarding how much is quoted from the OT. God provided the chances for the Jews to own it too. However we all know that it's the Jews who rejected Jesus. Thus Catholics are authenticated with "the key of binding and loosing" for them to canonize the NT (the Canon of OT already existed before that).

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's why the Jews are legitimate in canonize the OT, as the OT literally belongs to them.
If the NT is 1/3rd OT, and it points to all the work of Messiah and things yet to come... then how is it only theirs and belongs only to them? God gave US 66 books and included the Tanach (Torah, Prophets and Writings) because that is what He wanted us to have.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟237,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the NT is 1/3rd OT, and it points to all the work of Messiah and things yet to come... then how is it only theirs and belongs only to them? God gave US 66 books and included the Tanach (Torah, Prophets and Writings) because that is what He wanted us to have.

Belong means they are the legitimate party to canonize it.

NT has a different theory disregarding how much is quoted from the OT. God provided the chances for the Jews to own it too. However we all know that it's the Jews who rejected Jesus. Thus Catholics are authenticated with "the key of binding and loosing" for them to canonize the NT (the Canon of OT already existed before that).

"Binding and loosing" is an authenticating term and bears and in-depth meaning. It marks the point where the authority has been shifted from the Jews to Peter and God's church represented by the Catholics.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟237,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In a nutshell. The Jews are once the earthly representatives of God. They are the the legitimate party to canonize the OT. Similarly, the Catholics are once the earthly representatives of God. They are the thus legitimate party to canonize the NT. The Protestants are authenticated later such that they are the only party who can "own" or keep both an authenticated OT and an authenticated NT Canon.

That's how the in-depth meaning of binding and loosing being reflected.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Belong means they are the legitimate party to canonize it.

"Binding and loosing" is an authenticating term and bears and in-depth meaning. It marks the point where the authority has been shifted from the Jews to Peter and God's church represented by the Catholics.
Binding and loosing has more to do with Halacha but whatever... and Jews rejected Jesus? Uh... Jesus was a Jew... the 12 disciples were Jews, and Acts 21:20 uses the word murias which is the Greek word for 10,000 and it is in plural form. That means that AT LEAST 20,000 of the known 80,000 Jews who lived in and around Jerusalem believed that Yeshua was messiah. That isn't how it is taught today, but that is exactly what the text states.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
However we all know that it's the Jews who rejected Jesus.

Interesting too... the Jews rejected Jesus (and thus the love of the Father) and yet we have this that certainly seems (also) to stand against your point just as Acts 21:20 does:

Rom 3:1 What advantage then has the Jew, or what is the profit of circumcision?
Rom 3:2 Much in every way! Chiefly because to them were committed the oracles of God.

God entrusted his HOLY WORD with a people who rejected Him? That's strange....

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How so? I read nothing in their Bible that changes that. No. Augustine was instrumental in casting it out. And all the Magisterial reformers were slavishly devoted to Augustine. In fact, I would make the arguement that the Reformation of the 16th century was not a back-to-the-Bible movement, but rather a back-to-Augustine movement, and I'm no longer just talking about Biblical canon.

As to the first point, the Book of Enoch is the issue (for me anyway) - there are some really wild things in that book that don't jibe with reality and therefore force an "allegorical" interpretation, like the Catholics use with Genesis 1 and 2.

I agree with you regarding Augustine, and think it's an interesting point. I did not look at it that way before, and I thank you for it.

Theologically, it has struck me that the Protestant religion, or at least the portions of it that I have encountered, is what I describe as "All Paul, all the time." Paul's interpretations seem to pervade every aspect of everything.

Now, the trouble (for me, again), is that when Peter says that "Paul is confusing", I think that Peter is being generous. Paul is contradictory in parts, not just with himself, or with James (in particular), but also the implications of some things Paul says conflict with Jesus.

In my experience, wherever those conflicts arise, Protestants always go with Paul. In every one of those cases, I always go with Jesus. So even when I do "Bible Alone" thinking, to try to not annoy a Protestant interlocutor for the sake of annoying him (I won't bring up Mary, Purgatory, the Papacy, Transubstantiation, prayers to Saints, calling priests "Father" - the old chestnuts of discord - unless he does, then I'll mostly defend all of the Catholic positions), I still end up at loggerheads, because Jesus speaks of degrees of sin (James contradicts Jesus with his "break one law, break 'em all" argument), and Jesus very clearly speaks of judgment based on deeds, and on the importance of deeds, over and over and over again (while Paul is interpreted to mean faith alone).

To me it's a no-brainer that when Jesus speaks, that trumps everything automatically, and that if anybody is going to be read literally, it should be him.

This is so obvious to me I am surprised that there is not a sect of Christianity devoted to that very proposition (there seems to be one devoted to everything else!)

I try not to judge Augustine for what I perceive to be his obnoxious character, but it's fair to say that because I think he's a bad role model, I don't give his doctrines any more than a feather's weight. I find the whole Augustinian and Aquinan justification of violence by officialdom as being in persistent, violent opposition to what God actually gave as law, which (again further) causes me to not bother with Augustine. He's not God, and he says things that I think are pretty stupid.

Obviously, this further estranges me from common ground with Protestants, because I place Paul's letter at the bottom of New Testament authority, and I think Augustine was a jerk with pretty bad ideas.

I suppose to complete the trifecta, Jerome's opinion about Jewish ideas about the canonicity of their Scripture does not strike me as being anything more than the opinion of a guy. The opinion of his employer - Pope Damacus - strikes me as having much greater persuasive authority in selecting what is canon than Jerome's. So, Jerome didn't think certain books were proper canon, because he was a demi-Judaizer whose linguistic ability with Hebrew was the result of extensive contact with Jewish language and thought - and he went a bit native - and was wrong. Pope Damacus was obviously the person with the greater authority to decide such things.

Why, then, the great importance placed on Jerome's (bad) opinion on the matter of canon? Because it gets where some people want to get. Why, then, they don't show the courage of their convictions about Jerome and use his Vulgate as THE authoritative text - given the authority they give his scholarship - is to me just a blatantly obvious case of special pleading.

In general, I would say that the ability of European Christians to translate Hebrew was uniformly bad from the fall of the Roman Empire until the 19th Century, when the post-revolutionary European states tolerated Jews and allowed them prominence in higher education. The notion that some medieval Englishmen or Frenchmen, in countries that had driven their Jews nearly all out, into Eastern Europe, had any particular skill in translating or understanding Hebrew is just preposterous. They didn't. It wasn't until Christians included Jews in the scholarship that the Christians had any creditable translations of Hebrew. Jerome's Vulgate was the best translation of the Hebrew in existence in Western Europe until the 20th Century scholarship brought educated Jews and a plethora of new manuscript discoveries to the fore.

As far as Greek goes, Western European Greek knowledge was not good either. The Byzantine Texts were NEW, which offered the possibility of breaking with some traditions arising from Latin translations. Truth is, to this day the most reliable translations of the Greek New Testament into English are done by Greeks. The Eastern Orthodox Bible New Testament is the most accurate translation into English, in my view, because the Greeks speak their language and understand its nuances better than any non-Greek speakers can, and because the Greek Orthodox have chosen the best manuscripts (and have that ephemeral apostolic authority and promise of grace to have the higher authority to make such a selection). In short, the Patriarchal Text IS the "correct" Greek manuscript of the New Testament, and using anything else is special pleading, in my eyes.

You are a scholarly and knowledgeable person. I think you are the sort of Protestant with whom I could have a real conversation about the aspects of our collective religion that I find interesting, and that you do too.

Everywhere else here it just turns into a fight over Mary and statues. I wouldn't mind actually discussing those things intelligently (in part because they're so peripheral to the way I practice the religion that I'm not really emotionally invested in them, but in larger part to demonstrate that there is in fact a very strong intellectual and factual argument FOR the Catholic practice), but I haven't found the sort of intellectual Protestant who is capable of doing it.

You clearly are that. I like that. I would like to have this discussion with you. I just had to scroll up to see your denomination. I was expecting to see "Lutheran", because I have found Lutherans to be the closest to Catholics (Anglicans would seem to be, but the political business regarding the Papacy and the history of England queer the relationship.) "Baptist" surprises me.

And pleases me. I have generally found Baptists to be the very hardest people to get along with or have a religious conversation with, precisely because of the lack of ability to place academic distance between themselves and the subject matter to be able to discuss it platonicaly or hypothetically.

Given, then, my decision earlier today on a couple of other threads to stink up the pool, shake the dust off my sandals and walk away from any further discussion, I am pleased by the thought of being able to have a really intelligent discussion with a well-educated Baptist.

Perhaps this is not the thread for it. Maybe a "A Baptist and a Catholic Talk over Tea" would be a better thread for it. Maybe I'll start that thread and address it to you.

Only if you're interested, of course.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Of course some have described the reformation as Augustine's Man against Augustine's Church!
Yeah, I can see that.

The problem with Augustine is that he, in particular, provided the rationalization by which the Catholic Church justified becoming murderous.

Having crossed the threshold onto the slippery slope of evil, great gobs of theology justifying execution, and then torture in examination, and then torturous executions, and then feudal wars, and burning witches and heretics - all of that murderous crap that permanently scarred the Church with evil, and that permanently left the claim of infallibility an unsustainable assertion (despite the best efforts to pretend that murdering people by fire was not a "matter of faith and morals" but a "mere" "disciplinary issue") - came into play.

It's a very self-serving argument. Problem is, it is also a pathetically weak one from the basis of law and reason. It's the sort of argument that men can advance when - because of their violence - they have no fear of really being challenged. Luther and Calvin were also responsible for untold deaths, and like the Catholic arguments of that day are likewise weak and full of holes as Swiss cheese. When you render it deathly dangerous for people to challenge your logic, they don't. But then your logic ends up that of a stunted adolescent bully, so that generations later, when societies are free, any trained lawyer in the Western world could make an absolute monkey out of the Renaissance Popes, or Martin Luther, or John Calvin. Their "brilliance" in their age, was solely due to the fact that none of them ever faced cross-examination by anybody they couldn't (or didn't) kill. The net result: a pile of really weak, really crappy arguments, on all sides, reposing on the force of murder, not reason, or logic or fact.

Today, it all hangs on appeals to tradition, because literally any lawyer can tear the violent church arguments to pieces: the theologians were not that good, because they were unchallenged.

The "faith and morals" argument fails, because the question of executing people - the death penalty - deals with primary commandments of God, and as such, is an alpha matter of morality. Asserting the power to inflict death, as a power granted by God, is a matter of morals and of faith. That the Church says "no it isn't" is simply a gratuitous assertion - a self-evidently stupid and false one.

The REASON the Catholic Church had a Reformation in the first place was that sort of evil.

The RESULT of the evil, and the inability of ANY of the Christian churches that came out of the Reformation to admit they were wrong and to renounce the resort to violence, was that, eventually, the Republics of Europe imposed on the Church the same limitation that the Romans imposed on the Jews. The Jews had a law calling for death for blasphemy, but they were denied by the Romans the power to carry it out. Had the Sanhedrin simply taken Jesus out and executed him, the Romans would have arrested and executed the Sanhedrin for rebellion. God may have given them the power, but the Romans took it away, and the Jews did not at that time believe they could take out the Romans.

(Within that same generations the Jews, led to fanaticism by their priests, decided that the Romans COULD be defeated, because God would "never let" his chosen people or his Temple be destroyed. So they attacked the Romans. And, true to Jesus' word, God used the Roman Army to not just level Jerusalem and the Temple and disperse the Jews, but also, in particular, to wipe out the entire priesthood. When Titus breached the walls of Jerusalem and occupied it, the Jewish priesthood holed up on the Temple mount and offered to surrender and become prisoners peacefully. Titus responded: 'No. YOU have been the cause of this rebellion! YOU have been the ones who taught these people that they should fight, rebel, not obey. YOU are the cause of all of this. Therefore, you shall all die." And the Roman Army carried out that sentence. The ENTIRE Jewish priesthood was captured and executed. What THAT means is that even if the Jews rebuilt the Temple, under the law they could never properly renew the sacrifices, unless God chose a new priesthood, because the old bloodline was completely exterminated by the Romans. In this way, Jesus made it such that the Old Covenant "stands" - unchangeable by a letter - and THEREFORE it cannot be followed, because the priesthood and the sacrifices are mandatory, but the law requires the priesthood to be Aaronic, exclusively, and God ensured that the Romans killed them all so they COULD NOT resume anything. Because the law can't be changed, the Temple can NEVER be revived. In that way, God removed the Old Covenant from the world. Not by nullifying it, but making it physically impossible to carry out - and making the carrying out of ALL of it a prerequisite for ANY of it to bring benefits. Obviously the Jews don't accept this logic.)

So, the Jewish priesthood agitated murder, and had the power to kill stripped from them. And the Christian ministry did the same, starting with the Catholics in the time of Augustine. Augustine provided the pseudo-intellectual, and quite evil, fig leaf to start the ball rolling. The French and Latin American Revolutions in particular ended the power of the Church in Europe and Latin America to kill, forever. Now all the Church can do is talk. The murderous fangs were pulled out by civil government.

It would have been best had the church never grown the fangs. The Orthodox Church barely ever did. (Their record is not perfect, but the ecclesial executions that did happen in Orthodox lands were essentially local decisions by what would be said were rogue bishops.) The key is that the Orthodox never had an Augustine to start the ball rolling on grand justification of killing by the Church, and never had an Aquinas to flesh it out, so there are no "Saints" out there with written doctrines that say, in effect, it's ok for the authorities to ram a red hot poker up some heretic's butt because they are the authorities constituted by God, and that's not murder.

Yes, it's murder. Augustine and Aquinas were wrong. They gave the Church false justification for the indefensible. They died, but their doctrines lived on to create hell on earth, for awhile. And then God sent exterior civil forces, from outside the Church, democrat revolutionary forces, to hold the church down and rip her fangs out, and thereby deprive the Devil of his ability to use the Church to kill. In this way God saved the Church from itself, by outside forces, because the concept of "infallibility" and moral certitude was firmly held to even in these most evil doctrines.

That's the problem that the past has left us as a legacy which poisons Christianity to this day. Unfortunately, our churches are NOT pure pillars of white, on a hill. They are stained red with the blood of people our forbears in faith killed unjustly.

All we can do is acknowledge it, admit the ERROR - the FAILING - that is so important, because the attempt to defend the perfection of what is manifestly imperfect just pours more poison on the root and shrivels it further.

We screwed up, bad. Admit it. See how. Fix it. Pledge it won't ever happen again. And make the new doctrine the infallible one...because lots of people will never admit the Church isn't infallible, even in the face of its obvious failings on matters of faith and morals. People are stubborn and partisan. But we don't have to be.

It's good for us to confess our sins. And since the only mouth the Church has is ours, we have to confess for the Church also - and then do penance - and then stride forth to sin no more.

Part of that is throwing Augustine's violent doctrine on the garbage pile where it belongs.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well .... I read this whole thing, Post #1 through Post #39. Each bore out my conclusion that it is all unnecessary insofar as what we Christians need to know vis-à-vis eternal security. Then I read Post 40 et al. Egads! How much more distorted can scripture get?

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Earth-Moon.jpg
  • The Moon
The diameter of the Moon is 2159.14062 miles..

The verse of the scriptures consecutive by miles from Gen 1:1 that this number lands in, Is

• 1) The 2160th vs. Exo 23:15
  • Thou shalt keep the feast of unleavened bread: (thou shalt eat Unleavened Bread Seven days, as I commanded thee, In the Time Appointed of the New Moon (chodesh) Abib; for in it thou camest out from Egypt: and None shall appear before Me empty.
The diameter of the Moon without the decimal by the 31102 verses in the Bible.

• 2) 215914062/31102 Remainder = 3978th vs. Num 9:12
  • They shall leave None of it unto the Morning, nor break any bone of it: According to all the ordinances of 'The Passover' they shall keep it.
(1+2)
  • 3) 2160+3978 ~ 6,138th vs. Jos 12:7 And these are the kings of the country which Joshua and the children of Israel smote on this side Jordan on the west, from Baalgad in the valley of Lebanon even unto the mount Halak, that goeth up to Seir; which Joshua gave unto the tribes of Israel for a possession According to their Divisions;

• (Chapter + Verse)
  • 1) 23+15 = 38
  • 2) 9+12 = 21
  • 3) 12+7 = 19
    • (19*2) 38
~~~~~~~
  • The Earth
The circumference of the Earth north to south through the poles is 24,859.82 miles, the verse number that this number lands in, is
  • 1) The 24,860th vs. Mar 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the Whole Earth ; until the ninth hour.
The circumference of the Earth without decimal.
  • 2) 2485982/31102 Remainder = 28,924th vs. 2 Cor 7:7 And not by his coming only, but by the consolation wherewith he was comforted in you, when he told us your earnest desire, your Mourning, your fervent mind toward me; so that I rejoiced the More.
(1+2)
  • 3) 24860+28924 = 53784/31102 Remainder = 22,682nd vs. Mic 7:17 They shall lick the dust like a serpent, they shall move out of their holes like worms of The Earth Erets: they shall be afraid of YAHUWAH Eloheynu, and shall fear because of thee.

• (Chapter+Verse)
  • 1) 15+33 = 48
  • 2) 7+7 = 14
  • 3) 7+17 = 24
    • (24*2) 48
your post reminds my of the pyramids having interesting measurements.

Upvote 0

Neal of Zebulun

Oct 21, 2017
Texas
✟21,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Every single piece of Scripture that we currently have available to us is a copy.

Anyone who studies the copies in the original languages will eventually come to the realization that the copies are imperfect and have minor errors and sometimes even significant copyist or translational mistakes. Some will even argue there are outright doctrinal errors!

So to discard an entire book, much less an entire set of books because they may have what are usually minor errors is ludicrous, almost the entire Bible would come under question with such a litmus test!

I for one am not willing to throw away the Apocrypha. I haven't even read all of them yet.

And if I was forced to discard either 2 Esdras, which is an "apocryphal" book, or Esther, a "canonical" book, I know I would toss Esther and keep 2 Esdras.

Praise Yahweh we have any Scripture at all!

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You are probably unaware of this... but the Christians came to the OT canon on their own and then compared it to the canon of the Jews and it was the same. To me that reveals God's hand on the matter.
Okay, well if you cannot produce the primary sources for this, I will tell you frankly, your understanding of the way things happened is not correct. Nothing even similar to what you have described in fact occurred.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The book of Revelation tells us that there was a lamb slain from the foundation of the world. In looking at the language, that means that in some manner (probably in the mind of God) a sacrifice happened during the Creation period. This would indicate the need for a sacrifice, an understanding of God that before man was even created, he would fail. A second witness to this would be found in Genesis 1:14. If you place your cursor over the verse you'll see that the sun, moon, and stars were placed in the heavens for a number of reasons, one of which was for 'seasons.' That isn't a very good translation as the underlying Hebrew word is moedim, moed meaning "appointment" or "appointed time" but generally translated everywhere else as "Feast." Of course the "im" ending makes it plural, so Genesis 1:14 is saying the luminaries were place in the sky, in addition to other things, in order to determine when the Feasts would be. Since the Feasts, every one of them, point to various aspects of Messiah's work... then we have a second witness declaring that from the foundation of the world, God knew man would fail and He had already worked out a plan to bring them back to Him.

Knowing man would fail, God still created Adam which means even the creation of Adam was part of God's plan to bring man back to Him. Everything that happened from then on was part of God's redemptive plan... creating Eve, kicking both out of the garden... and every minor and major detail from then on through Sinai, Yeshua, through today.

My point... if God knew we would NEED more of less than the 66 books we have, He would have made that happen. We have what He wanted us to have, or He lacks control and the power to change things. Enoch is a fine addition to STUDY from, weigh in, consider... I use it like I do the Targumim, even to a lesser extend, the Talmud (the latter for cultural context, mainly).

As for proof about the formation of the canon... I will be by our library today and will grab the reference. Regarding use of phrases like "magical understanding of the bible," do you think that promotes good and healthy discussion between Christians... or do you think it might come off to others as snippy, perhaps arrogant and condescending? We are all just trying to grow in the Lord and our words should always edify and reflect the one we serve.. otherwise, we are profaning His name (character/reputation/authority).

Shalom.
Ken
I see your point. You deduce since God is sovereign, we have the exact number of books in the Bible as he ordained. Correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As to the first point, the Book of Enoch is the issue (for me anyway) - there are some really wild things in that book that don't jibe with reality and therefore force an "allegorical" interpretation, like the Catholics use with Genesis 1 and 2.

I agree with you regarding Augustine, and think it's an interesting point. I did not look at it that way before, and I thank you for it.

Theologically, it has struck me that the Protestant religion, or at least the portions of it that I have encountered, is what I describe as "All Paul, all the time." Paul's interpretations seem to pervade every aspect of everything.<snip>
I don't suppose you live anywhere near the San Francisco Bay Area? We could get together for actual coffee. :)

Upvote 0

Grandliseur

Nov 15, 2017
Naha
✟10,561.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't.

The Jews canonized their Bible before the Christians in order to exclude Jews from reading the works of the Apostles. And yet, Protestants include the works of the Apostles.

It is a dishonest position. We Protestants subscribe to a cut & paste canon but cannot admit to it.
The Jews were very strict regarding what books were permitted in their Inspired writings. These we have accepted by divine guidance into our Bibles. We have also accepted the NT in its present format. The book of Enoch and other books which the Jews did not accept, we shouldn't accept either, and the basis for rejection is not just that. The fact is that e.g. the book of Enoch as it is today contains things that are in total opposition to all the other inspired writings. This clearly tells us that this piece of literature has nothing to do with the book of Enoch spoken of by one of the apostles.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ביום ההוא יהיה מזבח ליהוה בתוך ארץ מצרים ומצבה אצל גבולה ליהוה

Verse 18024 | Isa 19:19 In that day shall there be an Altar to YHWH in the

Will explore these verses further when time allows, a little each day... and other interesting pyramid facts as well...

A Sign and a Witness, what could IT possibly be?

I'll probably never find the time to look into this. what do you think about theomatics and Ivan panin?

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Every single piece of Scripture that we currently have available to us is a copy.

Anyone who studies the copies in the original languages will eventually come to the realization that the copies are imperfect and have minor errors and sometimes even significant copyist or translational mistakes. Some will even argue there are outright doctrinal errors!

So to discard an entire book, much less an entire set of books because they may have what are usually minor errors is ludicrous, almost the entire Bible would come under question with such a litmus test!

I for one am not willing to throw away the Apocrypha. I haven't even read all of them yet.

And if I was forced to discard either 2 Esdras, which is an "apocryphal" book, or Esther, a "canonical" book, I know I would toss Esther and keep 2 Esdras.

Praise Yahweh we have any Scripture at all!

You will be forced to discard the extra books outside the protestant bible via KNOWING the proofs ivan panin discovered recently. or you can read a brief on theomatics. if you don't want to discard uninspired writings then skip over this true reply.

Upvote 0