It is awfully quiet in here

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sadly, egalitarianism isn't as uniform irl for me, especially acceptance of the ordination of women. My own parish is fine, but beyond that it can get "interesting" very fast.
I am sure your experience of that is not unique. Not by a long shot.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,271,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Sadly, egalitarianism isn't as uniform irl for me, especially acceptance of the ordination of women. My own parish is fine, but beyond that it can get "interesting" very fast.
A previous female pastor of ours once told us she averaged about one hate mail letter a month. I’d think they’d be primarily from outside of the congregation. Some people just need to complain I guess.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I get physical hate mail every day I open the mailbox, and after seeing it loaded down with junk, find myself exclaiming, "I hate mail!" Then off to the recycling bin I go!

I've never gotten fishnet stockings before though. Maybe they're afraid I'll wear them on my head during a sermon like I did with a pair of hot pink pants...

It baffles me how people can claim to follow Christ and then do something intentionally hateful to another person though. Though I admit I'm getting pictures in my mind of Grandpa Simpson writing all of his crazy complaint letters. :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It baffles me how people can claim to follow Christ and then do something intentionally hateful to another person though.
Indeed.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I thought we had a general thread in this group somewhere, but since I can't find it, I'll post here in order to continue to "unquiet" things. Just found this amusing!

p4y04iuudnx31.png

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Pockets. Yes! Why are so many women's garments made without pockets???

I listened to a very good podcast yesterday discussing the Song of Solomon from a feminist point of view, and I wanted to share it here, but I don't think I can because at the end there's a bit of discussion that might be taken as promoting homosexuality. (That wouldn't be my purpose in posting it but it could be taken that way).

But it was a very interesting discussion as a whole, and I thought it might be worth asking how others here receive the Song of Solomon, as a piece of Scripture?

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Pockets. Yes! Why are so many women's garments made without pockets???

I listened to a very good podcast yesterday discussing the Song of Solomon from a feminist point of view, and I wanted to share it here, but I don't think I can because at the end there's a bit of discussion that might be taken as promoting homosexuality. (That wouldn't be my purpose in posting it but it could be taken that way).

But it was a very interesting discussion as a whole, and I thought it might be worth asking how others here receive the Song of Solomon, as a piece of Scripture?

Could you link the podcast, or if against the TOS, PM it to me?

I view it as very sex positive and not necessarily representing "traditional marriage". I also see deeper meanings that relate to Christ as the bridegroom with love that is both fully human and fully divine. The poetry is also a wonderful focus for contemplation and meditation.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find it runs counter to what most of the ECFs say about sex. As with all Hebrew scripture and especially the poetry sections, there are multiple levels of meaning. We Christians seem to focus in on only one level - as an allegory. But with those multiple levels you have to start off with the plain meaning which is called Peshat. And the Peshat level of SoS is VERY erotic. So much so that in his commentary on SOS “Biblical Lovemaking” Hebrew scholar Arnold Fruchtenbaum actually refused to translate a couple of passages, saying they were too intense and would be offensive to christian sensibilities.

The plain meaning has a lot of erotic imagery and describes many different sexual activities, probably 90% of which is about HER (Shulamite’s) pleasure. And I think that is an indication of where God’s concern is.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd be interested in the link too, either here or privately.

To be honest, I have trouble doing very much with the Song of Solomon as Scripture. I'm glad that it's in the Bible as a statement that sexual love is pleasing to God (yay!), but I don't really get much out of it beyond that general statement. It doesn't really work for me, either as erotic poetry or as spiritual metaphor. So a podcast that could bring this book alive for me and make it "click" would be great.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hellooo!
I've been so busy the last few months I haven't had a lot of time for CF.
How are you doing, Dave?
Doing ok. Quite busy, being a new elder and a lead role in our upcoming (week and a half away) Purimspiel "Goys and Dolls." I play Mordecai.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been taking a bit of a sabbatical from CF, primarily because I've been super busy, but I'm more or less still here!

You were missed. :) I hope your ministry has been going well.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
You were missed. :) I hope your ministry has been going well.

It has! Thank you!

We've just had a lot of things going on with preparing for Ash Wednesday and Lent, and a couple bouts of crazy weather, and my Course of Study classes, my work at the zoo, and some various outreach activities my churches have been involved in. All very wonderful things and the Spirit has been moving in many positive ways, but not leaving much time to spare!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Been working on our PurimSpeil. (play based on the book of Esther)

I am playing Mordecai and our performance is Saturday evening.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0