Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So I'm in a position where, while i'm not depressed or desperate, I am concerned about where my life is headed. I work a job that most would consider to be quite low end, but I was making decent money at this job. things have changed and the money isn't as good and the work environment stinks.

unfortunately because of rather poor life choices in my twenties before I got saved at 30, I left myself with very few options as far as career. I HATE school and I HATE reading. I'm a good reader but never did good in school. Honestly, I haven't a clue what I would like to do as a career. I applied for a few electrical apprenticeship jobs, but really, it isn't an occupation that I'm particularly passionate about. I just see it as something that pays a living wage with benefits and they'll train me. I've also been vying for a custodial job for more than year now but nothing has come of it. not something i'm excited about either but it's something I can do and it pays a living wage with benefits as well.

I would like to marry and have a family at some point but finances are something that get in the way as i need to be able to support my wife and our children. I'm actually living on my own and paying my bills with no public assistance but I am a man of meager means. most women are looking for a better lifestyle or at least more financial security, though Scripture has something to say about that(matthew 6:25-34, 1 timothy 6:6-8).

due to the AS, I'm pretty much in social Siberia. I'm estranged from my relatives, my co-workers, and even those in my church. social interaction and relationships have simply never worked for me beyond short stints. sometimes I think I'm radioactive.

such a position would make most people quite depressed but the reason I am not is really thanks to what the LORD did in me when he saved me. He gave me a spirit of contentment where I no longer place my worth, value, and identity in my relationships, my accomplishments, or my possessions. Rather, my identity, worth, and value are in Christ and I believe His promises to me as His adopted son(colossians 3:1-4, romans 8:28, 1 peter 5:6-11). before this I used to be extremely depressed and contemplated suicide on a number of occasions. my 20s just sucked, period.

I feel like I could and should be doing more but with a lack of education, legit interests, and dealing with AS, my options are quite limited. I don't know how I can keep going at this pace economically and socially so there is cause for concern.

prayer is appreciated..

Last edited:

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I'm in a position where, while i'm not depressed or desperate, I am concerned about where my life is headed. I work a job that most would consider to be quite low end, but I was making decent money at this job. things have changed and the money isn't as good and the work environment stinks.

unfortunately because of rather poor life choices in my twenties before I got saved at 30, I left myself with very few options as far as career. I HATE school and I HATE reading. I'm a good reader but never did good in school. Honestly, I haven't a clue what I would like to do as a career. I applied for a few electrical apprenticeship jobs, but really, it isn't an occupation that I'm particularly passionate about. I just see it as something that pays a living wage with benefits and they'll train me. I've also been vying for a custodial job for more than year now but nothing has come of it. not something i'm excited about either but it's something I can do and it pays a living wage with benefits as well.

I would like to marry and have a family at some point but finances are something that get in the way as i need to be able to support my wife and our children. I'm actually living on my own and paying my bills with no public assistance but I am a man of meager means. most women are looking for a better lifestyle or at least more financial security, though Scripture has something to say about that(matthew 6:25-34, 1 timothy 6-6-8).

due to the AS, I'm pretty much in social Siberia. I'm estranged from my relatives, my co-workers, and even those in my church. social interaction and relationships have simply never worked for me beyond short stints. sometimes I think I'm radioactive.

such a position would make most people quite depressed but the reason I am not is really thanks to what the LORD did in me when he saved me. He gave me a spirit of contentment where I no longer place my worth, value, and identity in my relationships, my accomplishments, or my possessions. Rather, my identity, worth, and value are in Christ and I believe His promises to me as His adopted son(colossians 3:1-4, romans 8:28, 1 peter 5:6-11). before this I used to be extremely depressed and contemplated suicide on a number of occasions. my 20s just sucked, period.

I feel like I could and should be doing more but with a lack of education, legit interests, and dealing with AS, my options are quite limited. I don't know how I can keep going at this pace economically and socially so there is cause for concern.

prayer is appreciated..

I will be praying. Do you attend any church services or bible studies? I used to be very shy and socially awkward but the Lord changed my heart by giving me a genuine love for people and a desire to share His word with them. One of the way He did this was by getting me involved in a local church and in some local ministries in the community. Whereas before I didn't know anyone, now I know dozens of people and some of them are true friends in the Lord. It just happened over time as the Lord kept opening doors and He kept helping me walk through them. Now I really am a changed person in that sense, and He has gifted me with the ability to teach His word. Before I would dread getting up in front of anyone in talking, but now He has helped me so that I enjoy doing it. Through all of this avenues have been opened where I can expand and even prosper socially and financially. Gods people are there for you brother.

I don't know what you're struggling with health-wise (I don't know what AS is), but I'll be praying for the Lord to strengthen your body mind and spirit.

Reactions: LoveDivine
Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been attending my RPCNA church for 4 years now. Haven't missed a gathering and I help out with clean up after fellowship meals. Socializing just doesn't work well for me though.

I can understand that. I would pray and ask the Lord to open some new doors in that church for you so you can start to experience a deeper level of connection and fellowship to the people there. You could also pray and ask God to reveal anything that is hindering your ability to socialize. In any case, I think prayer is the answer to many of your questions. God has to do His work and we have to wait on His sovereign hand.

• Useful
Reactions: S.O.J.I.A.
Upvote 0

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟123,960.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You mentioned that you are estranged from family, coworkers, and church members. I think your financial situation is not really as much of an impediment to starting a relationship as your difficulty socializing is. There are lots of women who aren't materialistic or looking to marry a rich guy. It's very difficult though for a woman to be drawn to a guy who is emotionally distant.

I think the best suggestion I could give would be to get advice and support from others who understand the nuisances of AS. Maybe talk to others with AS who have learned to improve their socialization skills. Relationships fail mostly due to lack of communication and incompatible personalities. I think you'd be most comfortable dating someone who had similar social skills or at least understood AS well. I also agree with the advice others have given you. I'd pray and ask God to help you overcome any barriers or fears you have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums