It’s reasonable to fire 55 times into a sleeping African American!

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟555,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Im asking for a video link, do you have one please? Thank you.

Most times I would provide a link, but this is so mind-numbingly simple that I'm not going to. All you have to do is go to youtube and type "willie mccoy shooting".

• Informative
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I dont see how race is a motivating factor in this shooting. I see cops trying to get in and secure this mans weapon, but he wakes up and moves. Did police act appropriately? Im not sure but assuming this happened because he was black isnt going to help this issue. Seriously its not always about racism.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟555,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Its not ok to have mental illness and a gun, but its ok to be drugged out and have a gun? Y'all say this mans gun was legal.

Who's said that? I haven't said that. What I have said is that it's legal to possess a gun in CA and, as far as the cops knew, this guy wasn't legally prohibited from possessing one. They didn't know what his mental or medical state was. They didn't know if he was sleeping, drunk, drugged up, or in the midst of some sort of medical crisis. For all they knew, he could be having a reaction to a new medication. There are plenty of scenarios that, with the information they had at the time, would've been perfectly plausible and would've made everything McCoy had done up to that point perfectly legal. But instead of extending him the benefit of the doubt, they assumed he was dangerous.

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Who's said that? I haven't said that. What I have said is that it's legal to possess a gun in CA and, as far as the cops knew, this guy wasn't legally prohibited from possessing one. They didn't know what his mental or medical state was. They didn't know if he was sleeping, drunk, drugged up, or in the midst of some sort of medical crisis. For all they knew, he could be having a reaction to a new medication. There are plenty of scenarios that, with the information they had at the time, would've been perfectly plausible and would've made everything McCoy had done up to that point perfectly legal. But instead of extending him the benefit of the doubt, they assumed he was dangerous.
They couldnt ignore the possibility that he might be drugged out of his mind and dangerous. They tried to get in multiple doors and secure this mans weapon, which is good. They ordered him to show his hands multiple times but he didnt comply. Are you saying these cops were not risking their lives?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟555,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They couldnt ignore the possibility that he might be drugged out of his mind and dangerous.

Anybody can be dangerous; that isn't sufficient license for cops to shoot you. At no time, did he exhibit any sort of threat to anybody.

They tried to get in multiple doors and secure this mans weapon, which is good. They ordered him to show his hands multiple times but he didnt comply.

He had, at most, a couple seconds to comply before being shot. It should be no surprise that a person who, up to that point, had been unresponsive, would be slow to comply with commands.

Are you saying these cops were not risking their lives?

How did you get that from what I wrote?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟555,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Cops thought he might be going for his weapon and shot him. Is that unjustifiable?

Legally, I imagine they were in the clear.

However, no, I don't believe this shooting should be considered justified since he hadn't yet presented himself as a threat to anybody.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Legally, I imagine they were in the clear.

However, no, I don't believe this shooting should be considered justified since he hadn't yet presented himself as a threat to anybody.
A drugged out man with a gun in his lap sounds like a potential threat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The guy had been passed out and unresponsive for several minutes even before the cops arrived. When they arrived, he was still unresponsive while they surrounded his car and shined flashlights into it, even as he was scratching his arm. At no point did any of them act as if he was awake.

I'm going to have to disagree....there's a point where they go from observing but cautious....to issuing commands and alert.

It's reasonable to conclude they observed him waking up if not awake.

They seemed to fear that he might wake up and do something, but he never actually did anything.

Gonna have to disagree.

I think it shameful that we hold our officers operating in a parking lot to a lower standard than we hold our soldiers operating in a war zone.

We don't.

Duncan Hunter Admits His Marine Unit ‘Killed Probably Hundreds of Civilians’ in Iraq

We definitely hide those crimes better and there's far far less accountability....so I can understand why it might look that way to you.

Number of women and children killed in Iraq air raids 'disproportionately high'

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

They responded to a call....a call from a nearby Taco Bell, if I'm not mistaken, where they were concerned about what appeared to be a man sleeping in his car with a gun in his lap.

Seems like a legitimate concern for a local business, they don't know his intentions, they don't if he's going to hurt himself, an employee, or rob the place, or rob someone....or maybe he just likes playing with his gun before a nap. So they called the police.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟555,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm going to have to disagree....there's a point where they go from observing but cautious....to issuing commands and alert.

The time between issuing commands and firing was a couple of seconds. For several minutes prior, McCoy was obviously out of it, and they knew that.

It's reasonable to conclude they observed him waking up if not awake.

It's reasonable to conclude they saw him move. They don't know why he moved. They didn't verify that he was moving in a threatening way. That he intended to shoot them is one plausible interpretation of his move, but there are many other plausible interpretations in which he posed no threat at all.

Gonna have to disagree.

He scratched his arm and then slumped over. What is there to disagree about?

First, I wouldn't trust anything Rep. BorderWall OutOnBail says.

Second, as an artillery officer, he would've had to have received clearance to engage targets. He wouldn't have been allowed to fire willy-nilly. Virtually every Army & Marine vet I've talked to has said that the ROI in combat are typically stricter than what our local PD's operate under.

We definitely hide those crimes better and there's far far less accountability....so I can understand why it might look that way to you.

Number of women and children killed in Iraq air raids 'disproportionately high'

You're comparing collateral damage with police not verifying a target is a threat in the first place. I'm not excusing the collateral damage, but they're apples and oranges.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The time between issuing commands and firing was a couple of seconds. For several minutes prior, McCoy was obviously out of it, and they knew that.

It's reasonable to conclude they saw him move. They don't know why he moved. They didn't verify that he was moving in a threatening way. That he intended to shoot them is one plausible interpretation of his move, but there are many other plausible interpretations in which he posed no threat at all.

He scratched his arm and then slumped over. What is there to disagree about?

First, I wouldn't trust anything Rep. BorderWall OutOnBail says.

Second, as an artillery officer, he would've had to have received clearance to engage targets. He wouldn't have been allowed to fire willy-nilly. Virtually every Army & Marine vet I've talked to has said that the ROI in combat are typically stricter than what our local PD's operate under.

You're comparing collateral damage with police not verifying a target is a threat in the first place. I'm not excusing the collateral damage, but they're apples and oranges.
Whos to say he wasnt a threat?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟883,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see 1 less evil person on the street. To cause more illegal things to happen.

I see a person who if he had been correctly apprehended and put into jail might’ve had the opportunity to repent and be saved. We should never wish that someone die in an unsaved state forever condemning them to the lake of fire. At the time he was killed he was not posing a threat to anyone. His murder was unnecessary. Are you a Christian?

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,146,892.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Its a tragedy. But why were police cleared in this shooting?
There was a gun present, they said he reached towards it, no witnesses to contradict since the camera fails to capture what took place.

Upvote 0