It’s reasonable to fire 55 times into a sleeping African American!

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why couldn't they knock on the window, run away, and then track him down later when it was convenient for him to be arrested?

Run away? I confess...I've never considered that. I suppose that the if he ended up shooting someone between running away and apprehending him....that would be a tough one to explain. He is a multiple felon so he clearly shouldn't have that gun.

I can't count how many times I have been passed out in the parking lot of a Taco Bell with a gun in my lap. That's just summer fun.

Ok.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟903,875.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Perspective from the inquiry in to the London bridge attack:

Det Supt Riggs, who was in charge of the Metropolitan Police investigation into the attacks, said eight armed officers fired a total of 46 shots at the three attackers.

Emphases my own.

I don't know who they thought this guy was. Iron Man, maybe? The Incredible Hulk?

Keep in mind those 46 shots were fired in an active, public environment. This lone man was in a car.

• Agree
Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟294,851.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I understand that it's fun to claim the police shot him while sleeping. People can watch the video of the shooting though....in slow motion....on YouTube.

He pretty clearly starts scratching his shoulder....then the cops issue commands....and he leans forward with his hand in his lap.

I'll admit that he could have been half asleep still....but he also could've been reaching for his gun.

Moving ones hand around while waking up is clearly something that happens to people other than me right?

I know I've also got split second quick reflexes when I just woke up. How about you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Moving ones hand around while waking up is clearly something that happens to people other than me right?

I know I've also got split second quick reflexes when I just woke up. How about you?
The man was not sleeping when shot, just so everyone knows. Body cam footage shows the man moving his arm. Did cops think he was reaching for his weapon? Do we know? BTW, Ive seem people startled when woke up, and they moved pretty fast.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I watched the video....he appeared to be awake from what I saw.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it's worth mentioning that the guy wasn't simply sleeping in his car in a parking lot, rather he was passed out in the drive-through lane (where you order the food and pick it up), blocking the entrance. So it's not like he would be sound asleep.

People do move in their sleep, however. I couldn't say that he was awake or waking up just because he was moving (looked like he was just scratching himself). It was a pretty tense situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The man was not sleeping when shot, just so everyone knows. Body cam footage shows the man moving his arm. Did cops think he was reaching for his weapon? Do we know? BTW, Ive seem people startled when woke up, and they moved pretty fast.

I watched the video....he appeared to be awake from what I saw.

Some people are capable of prepping and cooking entire meals in their sleep. Scratching one's arm and slumping forward is not at all sufficient to indicate that someone is awake, particularly when that person has been unresponsive for several minutes.

Prior to the shooting, officers hadn't witnessed McCoy doing anything obviously illegal except for driving while ability impaired and whatever traffic infraction would cover blocking a drive-thru. He hadn't threatened anybody; as far as I'm aware, he hadn't been accused of threatening anybody. As far as I'm aware officers had no awareness of his identity, any criminal history, or the legality of his possessing a gun. And it's still legal to have a gun in California. But apparently exercising your rights in a non-threatening, borderline catatonic manner is enough to make you appear dangerous to half a dozen cops.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some people are capable of prepping and cooking entire meals in their sleep. Scratching one's arm and slumping forward is not at all sufficient to indicate that someone is awake, particularly when that person has been unresponsive for several minutes.

Prior to the shooting, officers hadn't witnessed McCoy doing anything obviously illegal except for driving while ability impaired and whatever traffic infraction would cover blocking a drive-thru. He hadn't threatened anybody; as far as I'm aware, he hadn't been accused of threatening anybody. As far as I'm aware officers had no awareness of his identity, any criminal history, or the legality of his possessing a gun. And it's still legal to have a gun in California.
Why did they fire at him?

Upvote 0