Midwest
✟34,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For some time now I had no idea that the relationship between me and Jesus gradually changed from love to a legalistic commitment. More than likely it started after the constant frustration with my life feeling stagnant. I started to notice that my passion for the word was not up to par. I tried to look up ways to fix this. Some people would say fasting helps or maybe I was over examining myself or pride (Not saying that fasting and self examination is wrong).
Soon after in an attempt to keep from sinning I “set up some rules” to follow each day. After some time I felt really burned out and I started to drift from my spiritual walk, but what got my attention was the two scriptures God led me to that got my attention early in the morning ( Psalm 23, Isaiah 29).
Even then I was not completely sure of what this meant but the next day after literally the same scripture came up on the youversion Bible app with a 10 day plan on “Rewiring the Heart”. I learned that this whole time I was trying to change my own heart. Only God can change our desires so we won’t be tempted to sin.
This is just a piece of what I’ve learned.

Link: 3 types of Legalism
3 Types of Legalism

• Friendly
Reactions: Loyce KG

UnprofitableServant

ThyWillBeDone
Dec 10, 2018
Hollywood
✟44,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings,
I think what you shared is true: "Only God can change our heart". I think what helped you learn this is the trial and error approach you took toward seeking after God's will. While I don't think it is wrong to put disciplines to help yourself in an area; I do think if you are doing that with the motivation to change through your own strength, then that is the issue. So what you did wasn't wrong, rather the motivation behind why you did that, is what caused you to drift away.

I, personally, find that putting certain disciplines on myself is one of the ways that God can help change our heart. There is no rule about it; we have to be open to the leading of God's wind-like Holy Spirit.

Peace
index.jpeg

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Soon after in an attempt to keep from sinning I “set up some rules” to follow each day. After some time I felt really burned out and I started to drift from my spiritual walk, but what got my attention was the two scriptures God led me to that got my attention early in the morning ( Psalm 23, Isaiah 29).

It is good to focus on scripture when you are anxious or concerned.

I find it helps to realize these disciplines are for our own good and because God loves us. Even if you read the old legalism in the Old Testament set during specific time periods, you realize it was for the good of the people the, such as dietary laws. Back then pork was especially dangerous without proper ways to preserve and carefully cook, as we now know through science. The same can be said for a lot of shellfish and seafood preparations.

Upvote 0