It’s Unconstitutional for Laws to be Based on Religiously Moral Reasons?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it unconstitutional for laws to be based on their supporters’ religiously founded moral beliefs? While most of us—at least most readers of this blog—would consider such a question to be absurd, some people apparently think it should be answered in the affirmative.

Fortunately, legal scholar Eugene Volokh has provided a brilliant rebuttal which explains why “it would be an outrageous discrimination against religious believers to have such a constitutional rule”:
My most recent brush with the argument happened with regard to rules against recognizing same-sex marriage, but others have raised the same argument as to cloning bans, abortion bans, and the like: Isn’t it illegitimate for the government to ban cloning, or fail to recognize same-sex marriages, when most of the arguments for that position are essentially religious? Isn’t that an unconstitutional violation of the separation of church and state, or at least a violation of some democratic norm that people ought not force their religious views on others?

Continued- http://blog.acton.org/archives/30480-it-is-unconstitutional-for-laws-to-be-based-on-religiously-influenced-moral-reasons.html

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think we are being forced a religion on us, it is not Christian, but it is a secular nature.
Molech, the god of killing children and sexual worship.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0