Denmark
✟55,820.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What??? You don´t understand what i´m saying?? no worries neither do i:) If we have to look at it objectively there is different forms of truth. There is proven truth, truth with facts, like the earth is round, and then there is truth we make on unproven things according to what we believe is right, emotions and logic. If we can´t prove something, we can call it our personal truth, but we can´t call it the truth for all people. because it´s not the over all proven truth. For something to be completely true it has to be proven.The op asked how can we be sure that Christianity is the truth, we can´t. Christianity is our truth, but it´s not a truth with facts, there is a difference in the two.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How can we be so sure that Christianity is the truth and every other religion is false? Why would an all knowing God guide some to Allah and some to Jesus? Both parties have equally the same conviction of faith that they're in the truth.

I used to think I was a born again Christian until there were certain things that bought me back to reality and after I started to question some things I had issues on. I started to think maybe Christianity isn't the truth as I was reading into Islam and how they view the Bible. I got genuinely confused about religion.

Why do we believe in God and how is faith reliable? I've been at that state before of feeling like you're in the truth and that God is with you etc, but is God actually there?

Cheers
Sometimes ones walk involves a more intellectual understanding of our Creator. It is not about religion, it is about which God is the true God. He either revealed Himself through the Hebrews or He did not. He either came in the flesh or He did not. I encourage you to keep on your search as God does not want you to be lukewarm about Him. He wants you to understand who He is and that may require venturing out to other paths. If you truly received His Holy Spirit, you will come back a stronger Christian than before, possibly witnessing to others about your search and resolution on...who is the real God.
Blessings

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How can we be so sure that Christianity is the truth and every other religion is false? Why would an all knowing God guide some to Allah and some to Jesus? Both parties have equally the same conviction of faith that they're in the truth.

I used to think I was a born again Christian until there were certain things that bought me back to reality and after I started to question some things I had issues on. I started to think maybe Christianity isn't the truth as I was reading into Islam and how they view the Bible. I got genuinely confused about religion.

Why do we believe in God and how is faith reliable? I've been at that state before of feeling like you're in the truth and that God is with you etc, but is God actually there?

Cheers
You can decide, with the help of grace. But which God do you think can really make a difference in this world? The angry, distant God, superior in His aloofness, perhaps whimsical, which is the default god or gods for many individuals and religions, or the God most fully revealed by Jesus, the God who loves man so intensely that He'd place Himself on a cross and suffer an excruciatingly humiliating and painful death at the hands of His own creation if that what it takes to prove that love, in spite of our sin and even hatred of Him, and then cap it with the resurrection to prove that He wasn't just talking, to prove that His love is eternal and that we can possess it eternally if we follow Him in it.

Ours is a very different hero from the heroes and superstars of this world. And He doesn't force us to obey, but rather calls and draws us. The cross beckons us; we don't have to come to it; we don't have to choose love, and this world opts to choose pride and selfishness instead, the major cause of conflict and harm and sin in our world, at least until we become sick of it. Read 1 Cor 13. The nature of God is described there quite well, as the nature of love is described quite well. Christianity firmly places goodness and love at the foundation of our universe, in spite of the ugliness-the sin-so often experienced in this world. Both the question of this sin, along with the "problem" of death, are answered by our faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,027.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What??? You don´t understand what i´m saying?? no worries neither do i:) If we have to look at it objectively there is different forms of truth. There is proven truth, truth with facts, like the earth is round, and then there is truth we make on unproven things according to what we believe is right, emotions and logic. If we can´t prove something, we can call it our personal truth, but we can´t call it the truth for all people. because it´s not the over all proven truth. For something to be completely true it has to be proven.The op asked how can we be sure that Christianity is the truth, we can´t. Christianity is our truth, but it´s not a truth with facts, there is a difference in the two.
I am not sure why you put personal unproven opinions to the "truth group" and just call it "personal truth".

Personal beliefs and opinions about reality are either false or true, there is no third category... I am not talking about individual preferences like "this picture is beautiful".

• Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How can we be so sure that Christianity is the truth and every other religion is false? Why would an all knowing God guide some to Allah and some to Jesus?
First of all, "Allah" is merely the word "God" in certain Middle Eastern languages. In fact, there are millions of Christians who call God "Allah" because that's the word to use in their native tongue.

We can know Christianity is true because the historical evidence shows that it is. Long story, you might start with "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Cheers
Have you ever read Josh McDowell's - More Than A Carpenter? Book was based on the premise that Jesus is either a liar, lunatic or Lord. He then demonstrates/evidences the basis for a factual resurrection. The Christian faith rests upon the resurrection of Jesus which Jesus predicted before he was crucified. No other religion can make that kind of claim.

Upvote 0

Faith Unites

Mar 25, 2014
✟25,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Cheers
Well first, congratulations on your honesty. Lots of folks just ignore their doubts but imo its better to confront them. As for "is God really there?", absolutely. If you view God as being the alpha and omega then logically speaking, God has to be there. Always. You may even go so far as to say that he is always in the past as well as the future. Everywhere and always.
Keep it simple with your journey and ask simple hard questions. First off, is there a god? If so, is God good, bad or an in-between. Logic would tell you that God is either fully good or fully bad because he is in essence a single thing. I believe, logic will also show you that if God exist then he is good. The whole concept of good and evil gets very odd if you consider God to be evil. It doesnt really add up to what we would expect in reality if God was evil. This doesnt mean that he cant be evil but logically he is most probably good.
Next is the real battle of "picking" a religion. Where to even start? You could watch hundreds of hours of debates, read every book you get your hands on and maybe youll find the answer. Doing this is certainly beneficial for specific questions but tbh, i dont know if it will help you find God. If you want to find God just ask him to show you who he is. Look for love. IMO the greatest love story ever told was the story of Jesus. If God is good and if the greatest love story ever told is Jesus then I think thats a pretty solid connection. Im obv way over simplifying this process but I think you get my point. Dont beat yourself up, just be honest and God will show you the way. He's right there guiding you through this whether you realize it or not. I went down the exact road that you are on and all I can say is that learning was great, but it didnt show me who he was, it only helped me to see that the story of Jesus was 100% credible. I didnt "find" God until I lost myself. But thats a whole nother ballgame lol. Godspeed , you'll get there.

Upvote 0

Faith Unites

Mar 25, 2014
✟25,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Never heard of Gaby haberman and his view on the resurrection I guess Ill need to look at it some time. Theres been conflict, war and mass atrocities committed under the name of both religions not only islam. For example those medieval crusades in the 12/13th century. I'd pick Christianity over Islam any day. Also, you dont sound very christian in the heart
Crusades are incredibly miscalculated. They all started after the burning of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre by the Mad Caliph. Islam was essentially wiping out all the surrounding Christian areas (by force) and were then focused on Jerusalem. What on earth would you expect?

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Cheers
Something as basic as Lee Strobel's, Case for Christ may be very beneficial for you.

Upvote 0

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟55,820.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure why you put personal unproven opinions to the "truth group" and just call it "personal truth".

Personal beliefs and opinions about reality are either false or true, there is no third category... I am not talking about individual preferences like "this picture is beautiful".
i am not talking about a third truth category either, i´m talking about the fact that we can say yes and no to Christianity, but no one knows if it´s the truth, so no one can call it truth, other than their own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
How can we be so sure that Christianity is the truth and every other religion is false?

Well, there is the very ample evidence in support of the claims to being true that the Bible makes. But more than this, there is the daily experience of God that a Christian person has. More than evidence or argument, the fellowship I have with God each day is the bedrock of my faith in Him.

Why would an all knowing God guide some to Allah and some to Jesus?

Why do you assume a person's allegiance to the god of Islam is God's doing?

Both parties have equally the same conviction of faith that they're in the truth.

But questions of truth aren't decided by strength of conviction. Reason, evidence, facts, experience - these are the tools God has given to us by which we may discern what is true from what is false.

I used to think I was a born again Christian until there were certain things that bought me back to reality and after I started to question some things I had issues on.

Are you saying Christians are not in touch with reality?

I started to think maybe Christianity isn't the truth as I was reading into Islam and how they view the Bible. I got genuinely confused about religion.

This is what happens when you don't know your own faith well and don't have proper fellowship with God.

Why do we believe in God and how is faith reliable?

www.crossexamined.org
www.reasonablefaith.org
www.str.org
www.coldcasechristianity.com
www.rzim.org

Upvote 0

Faith Unites

Mar 25, 2014
✟25,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sort of. Truth is truth regardless of currently held facts. Some facts are lost to time but it doesnt mean something cant be true because all the facts dont exist. You can make educated decisions based off partial facts. Happens all the time.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
i am not talking about a third truth category either, i´m talking about the fact that we can say yes and no to Christianity, but no one knows if it´s the truth, so no one can call it truth, other than their own.
Not to be Debbie Downer on your understanding of Truth, but Scripture seems to disagree with you. It uses the word truth in relation to us over 108 times in the NT alone. God seems fairly insistent throughout the entire NT that what He says is indeed, the Truth.

Luke 1:3,4 - ...it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; so that you may know the exact truth about the things you have been taught.

John 3:21 "But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

John 5:33 "You have sent to John, and he has testified to the truth.

John 8:32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

John 17:17 "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.

2 Corinthians 7:14 For if in anything I have boasted to him about you, I was not put to shame; but as we spoke all things to you in truth, so also our boasting before Titus proved to be the truth.

Ephesians 1:13 - In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

1Timothy 2:4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

2 John 1:2 for the sake of the truth which abides in us and will be with us forever:

Upvote 0

Loyce KG

Everyone MUST hear the gospel of Christ!
Nov 19, 2018
Kampala
✟44,026.00
Country
Uganda
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Cheers
This may be quite an extensive topic to discuss.why I believe Christianity is the one and true religion?
1. The resurrection - There is good evidence for the resurrection
2. The Birth and spread of Christianity throughout the world debunks the genetic fallacy. It is historically true when Jesus said to His disciples - "I will make you fishers of men."
3. Only the name of the Christian God is blasphemed. Why? Because the true God is merciful. To blaspheme against the true God there is forgiveness, false gods originate from the deceiver and to blaspheme against him there is no forgiveness and the true God protects us from this.
4. Only in Christianity will you find Grace.
5. Only Christianity is truly mocked - yes atheism speaks out against all religions but I have never heard the actual doctrines of other religions mocked. Christianity is not just mocked by atheists; Marilyn Manson stands up on stage and tears up a Bible I do not see him tear up a Quran. Atheists refer to Christ as a "Jewish Zombie" How come they do not have such a derogatory blasphemous nick name for
Mohammad?
6. Christianity is the only religion where I have seen with my own two eyes a real change, real peace and real joy and the void within fulfilled. A person who has been born again is truly changed from within. Am one of those people.
7. The curses placed on mankind after the fall is true for all mankind regardless of religion. So the Bible is accurate right from Genesis.
a) All men have to work for a living
b) All women have pain at childbirth. Trust me God meant what He said.
c) We are all going to die and return to dust.
8. Only the Christian God knows what it feels like to be human: He knows what it feels like to feel pain, to be poor, to be betrayed, to weep, to be accused falsely, to be hungry, to be denied, to be tempted, to be hated, to be mocked, to be spat on (this is derogatory to the soul).
8. Only Christianity tells us we must be saved by grace and that it's a work of God. Ephesians 2:8-9. The rest of the religions say do good and you'll be saved.
9. Only Christianity assures one of salvation, the rest of religions have no assurance of salvation because their god has kept that away from them.

Other gods and ancient gods such as Thor, Zeus, Moloch, Baal etc have not stood the test of time. Truth does not die.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟55,820.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not to be Debbie Downer on your understanding of Truth, but Scripture seems to disagree with you. It uses the word truth in relation to us over 108 times in the NT alone. God seems fairly insistent throughout the entire NT that what He says is indeed, the Truth.

Luke 1:3,4 - ...it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent Theophilus; so that you may know the exact truth about the things you have been taught.

John 3:21 "But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."

John 5:33 "You have sent to John, and he has testified to the truth.

John 8:32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

John 17:17 "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.

2 Corinthians 7:14 For if in anything I have boasted to him about you, I was not put to shame; but as we spoke all things to you in truth, so also our boasting before Titus proved to be the truth.

Ephesians 1:13 - In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,

1Timothy 2:4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

2 John 1:2 for the sake of the truth which abides in us and will be with us forever:

Yes i know:) but i feel no one understand what i´m saying :) I believe in God, i believe in the bible. But that does not change the fact that what i believe in could be wrong in theory. The bible and God and everything else can´t be proven. That is why it´s called belief, and not facts. It´s only true because we make it true, it´s our truth, in reality it could as easily be wrong. Just because it says so in a book, is no proof, but i do understand you, and where you are comming from:)

• Prayers
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Cheers
There is a day coming when you will absolutely know The Truth. Trying to be obedient to The Word will never disappoint you in the end.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Cheers
You may or may not have a satisfactory answer already, but for me I was a skeptic, and didn't believe (in my intellect), but I was exploring and wanted to test everything, a large range of different things from around the world, and I did. Including also what Jesus said to us to do:
"Love your neighbor as yourself" (with total strangers on both sides, next door)
"Love your enemy" (!!??) (with a real enemy/competitor who had disrespected me for years)
"Forgive...not just seven times, but seventy times seven" (over and over)
"...forgive...your brother or sister from your heart." (not just intellectually or just by will power, but full fledged real forgiveness, so that you can genuinely love them)

Tested, over and over.

The results were often astounding to me, far past even just a good result, even when I expected little or nothing (even then, amazing good results). Through new neighbor friends, at one of their parties, I soon found an amazing best friend who was so much like me in key ways, and from such a different life path, and helped me so much, who was just what I needed at that time. Loving an enemy (for a few seconds, but for real) led astoundingly to him becoming a true friend, totally against my expectation, and to my real shock.

I found out what Jesus says works. His instructions make life sharply better. Even if you already start with some love and good things in your life and are generally already happy.
Better than the wonderful Tao.
Better than Emerson's best ideas.
Better than well done meditation (even!)
Better than the best yoga teachers and their best sessions
Better than the best physical exercise (in terms of just feeling better)
Better than time off to relax
Better than you name it, because I've explored a lot and tried out all sorts of things, many of them quite good in themselves.

But that was only the start. I had tried a lot of things to undo some old emotional wounds and had a pretty good life, friendships and love, and overcoming of old fears, and much more. A good life. But....to get all the way to true healing of my heart, only through Christ did this finally happen, when I prayed the exact way He said to pray (His instructions in the 4 gospel accounts). Those prayers done the way He said are answered. I've only told you here a part of what I've found, not even much of the best parts.

So, the answer for me to your question: How do you know which?
was testing, testing, testing, and observing the outcomes.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes i know:) but i feel no one understand what i´m saying :) I believe in God, i believe in the bible. But that does not change the fact that what i believe in could be wrong in theory. The bible and God and everything else can´t be proven. That is why it´s called belief, and not facts. It´s only true because we make it true, it´s our truth, in reality it could as easily be wrong. Just because it says so in a book, is no proof, but i do understand you, and where you are comming from:)
I think that's a healthy way to look it. While faith is considered to be a supernatural gift, giving us or affirming knowledge only because God makes that possible, we're still limited as humans in our understanding. Another way to put it is to say that most likely no one's theology is perfect; all of us will probably be surprised in the next life to one degree or another.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

Cheers

I think God has his Anawim in every religion, never forsakes them, always nurtures them. Although I am not saying that that absolves us from our duty to witness to Christ and his Gospel, at least by our demeanour and our lives.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can we be so sure that Christianity is the truth and every other religion is false?

Christianity is not the truth. Jesus is the truth.

As Jesus said:

'I am the way, the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father but by me'. John 14:6

:)

Upvote 0