Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Exodus 12:40-41
King James Version

40 Now the sojourning of the children of Israel, who dwelt in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.

41 And it came to pass at the end of the four hundred and thirty years, even the selfsame day it came to pass, that all the hosts of the Lord went out from the land of Egypt.

Leviticus 18
King James Version

18 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, I am the Lord your God.

3 After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances.

4 Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the Lord your God.

5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the Lord.

6 None of you shall approach to any nipthat is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the Lord.

7 The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

8 The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's nakedness.

9 The nakedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother, whether she be born at home, or born abroad, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover.

10 The nakedness of thy son's daughter, or of thy daughter's daughter, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover: for theirs is thine own nakedness.

11 The nakedness of thy father's wife's daughter, begotten of thy father, she is thy sister, thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

12 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's sister: she is thy father's near kinswoman.

13 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother's sister: for she is thy mother's near kinswoman.

14 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's brother, thou shalt not approach to his wife: she is thine aunt.

15 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy daughter in law: she is thy son's wife; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

16 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy brother's wife: it is thy brother's nakedness.

17 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of a woman and her daughter, neither shalt thou take her son's daughter, or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her nakedness; for they are her near kinswomen: it is wickedness.

18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life time.

19 Also thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her nakedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleanness.

20 Moreover thou shalt not lie carnally with thy neighbour's wife, to defile thyself with her.

21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the Lord.

22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.

24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:

25 And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.

26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:

27 For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled.

28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.

29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.

30 Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the Lord your God.
#4. inappropriate behavior with animals in ancient civilizations - Upperclass Monroe Scholars Summer Research Projects

Last edited:

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any evidence they didn't do any of these things? From my (admittedly hazy) recollection, the Israelites were really bad at doing what God told them to do, except the killing people bit. Didn't they create an entire cow religion in the time it tool Moses to walk up a mountain? Why were they enslaved in Egypt in the first place, and wasn't there something about getting lost in a desert for 40 years?

Perhaps the thread title should read "I cherry picked a bunch of rules from the Biblical books of Law for reasons as yet not explained".

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It is incredible the prevalence of these practices and to the degree of them, that the Israelites were pure enough to be singled out to be blessed. After 430 years of all that going on all around them.

What evidence do you have that it was prevalent around them, and what is there about a bunch of laws that indicates being blessed?

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ancient Egyptian priests were the only ones allowed into the sacred temples to worship. During the festivals, they would distribute statues around communities throughout the kingdom for the common people to public worship. Many homes had tiny carvings of deities by which private worship could be conducted.
An Overview of Ancient Egyptian Religion

My own research of a number of original Hebrew words from Leviticus chapter 18 reveals a much darker reality that these Israelites may have experienced in Egypt, or were going to encounter in Canaan. These words in English are 'uncover' and 'nakedness'. They reveal a public viciousness that by the context, could only be giving us a glimpse of what spiritual darkness is capable of.
The prohibitions listed in Leviticus 18 is a dim spiritual light to us today, but to the Israelites at that time, must have been a spiritual floodlight.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,291.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
King James Version

40 Now the sojourning of the children of Israel, who dwelt in Egypt, was four hundred and thirty years.

41 And it came to pass at the end of the four hundred and thirty years, even the selfsame day it came to pass, that all the hosts of the Lord went out from the land of Egypt.

Leviticus 18
King James Version

18 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, I am the Lord your God.

3 After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances.

4 Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the Lord your God.

5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the Lord.

6 None of you shall approach to any nipthat is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the Lord.

7 The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

8 The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's nakedness.

9 The nakedness of thy sister, the daughter of thy father, or daughter of thy mother, whether she be born at home, or born abroad, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover.

10 The nakedness of thy son's daughter, or of thy daughter's daughter, even their nakedness thou shalt not uncover: for theirs is thine own nakedness.

11 The nakedness of thy father's wife's daughter, begotten of thy father, she is thy sister, thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

12 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's sister: she is thy father's near kinswoman.

13 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy mother's sister: for she is thy mother's near kinswoman.

14 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's brother, thou shalt not approach to his wife: she is thine aunt.

15 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy daughter in law: she is thy son's wife; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.

16 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy brother's wife: it is thy brother's nakedness.

17 Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of a woman and her daughter, neither shalt thou take her son's daughter, or her daughter's daughter, to uncover her nakedness; for they are her near kinswomen: it is wickedness.

18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life time.

19 Also thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her nakedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleanness.

20 Moreover thou shalt not lie carnally with thy neighbour's wife, to defile thyself with her.

21 And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the Lord.

22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.

24 Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:

25 And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.

26 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:

27 For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled.

28 That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.

29 For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.

30 Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the Lord your God.
#4. inappropriate behavior with animals in ancient civilizations - Upperclass Monroe Scholars Summer Research Projects
Ancient Egyptian priests were the only ones allowed into the sacred temples to worship. During the festivals, they would distribute statues around communities throughout the kingdom for the common people to public worship. Many homes had tiny carvings of deities by which private worship could be conducted.

My own research of a number of original Hebrew words from Leviticus chapter 18 reveals a much darker reality that these Israelites may have experienced in Egypt, or were going to encounter in Canaan. These words in English are 'uncover' and 'nakedness'. They reveal a public viciousness that by the context, could only be giving us a glimpse of what spiritual darkness is capable of.
The prohibitions listed in Leviticus 18 is a dim spiritual light to us today, but to the Israelites at that time, must have been a spiritual floodlight.
So they all arrived on the same day and kept track of the day/ date
for 430 years.

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So they all arrived on the same day and kept track of the day/ date
for 430 years.

King James Version

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ancient Egyptian priests were the only ones allowed into the sacred temples to worship.

According to the Bible, the Holy of Holies was covered by a veil,[5] and no one was allowed to enter except the High Priest

Restriction of holy places to clergy was and still is common to alot of religions.

During the festivals, they would distribute statues around communities throughout the kingdom for the common people to public worship. Many homes had tiny carvings of deities by which private worship could be conducted.

So what?

My research reveals the opposite.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why would you address early Judaism when the subject was the prevalence of Egyptisn religion the ancient Israelites were being exposed to?

Also, no, you will not be able to find the truth of the background of Leviticus 18 or 20 without objective study. You will be as trapped as those translators in leaving the readers to come to the conclusion that the Israelites were being warned against (private?) practices of the Egyptians and Canaanites.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why would you address early Judaism when the subject was the prevalence of Egyptisn religion the ancient Israelites were being exposed to?

Because you just then decided that was the subject. When this thread started, it was about a slab of Leviticus.

Also, no, you will not be able to find the truth of the background of Leviticus 18 or 20 without objective study. You will be as trapped as those translators in leaving the readers to come to the conclusion that the Israelites were being warned against (private?) practices of the Egyptians and Canaanites.

Right, "the truth". Must be nice to be that sure of your opinion. If only a shred of evidence accompanied your assertions.

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jacob did this one:

Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life time.
This account occurred way before the nation of Israel existed and way before any resided in Egypt. All of the people involved were raisers of livestock. Jacob fell in love with the younger of 2 daughters of the boss of the territory (Laban). He was a relative of Jacob's and made Jacob work for him for 7 years before he would allow Jacob to marry Rachel. However, on the wedding day, Laban threw a party and Jacob did a lot of drinking and went to the bedroom. In the darkness, Laban substituted (Leah) his oldest daughter in place of Rachel). The next morning Laban told the angry Jacob that around these parts it wasn't right for the younger daughter to be married off before the older. He made Jacob work another 7 years in order for him to marry Rachel. (Genesis chapter 29)

What an interesting story!

Upvote 0

CatsRule2020

Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2020
Denver
✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Because you just then decided that was the subject. When this thread started, it was about a slab of Leviticus.

The temples in question were the Egyptian temples where only the Egypian priests were allowed to enter. That was where some very strange worship practices occurred such as their mating with captured female Nile Crocodiles. Perhaps in attempt to produce demigods. This mating practice is mentioned in the article I posted and is also recorded in the Keil-Delitzsch commentary vol.1

In the more public worship, since the goat was worshipped, ancient writers confirm women openly mating with the he-goats. This is from the same commentary. In hopes of producing a goat-man demi-god.

Right, "the truth". Must be nice to be that sure of your opinion. If only a shred of evidence accompanied your assertions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums