Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On Monday, Pope Francis delivered his annual address to the diplomatic corps accredited to the Vatican, in what's generally considered his most important foreign policy speech of the year. It's a typically wide ranging overview of the global scene, from nuclear disarmament and the dangers of anti-immigrant rhetoric to the pro-life cause and "ideological colonization."

Continued below.
Israeli envoy to Vatican: 'We want peace as much as His Holiness'

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
This is a complicated issues. Let me mention just a few of the issues.

1. Israelis are divided on how to best resolve the issue. Most are in favor of a two state solution, but the popularity of a one state solution is growing, and is apparent among the Likud party.

2. Israel was firmly in favor of a two state solution at one time. In 2000 the Palestinians were offered 95% of what they wanted, including East Jerusalem -- an incredible sacrifice by Israel for the sake of peace. But ARAFAT WALKED OUT, showing that the Palestinian leadership was not truly interested in a two state solution. At that point, most Israelis became disillusioned with the peace process --why bother-- and a one state solution began looking more realistic.

3. This is why today there is little chance of a two state solution -- essentially the leadership of neither side wants it.

4. Israel is no angel -- I'll be the first to admit that sometimes Israel royally ticks me off. Yet what Israel does is no comparison to the terrorism committed in the name of destroying the State of Israel. Much of the aid money to the Palestinians inevitably goes to support terrorist groups and acts.

5. There is a concerted effort not only by Muslims, but also by the political left to delegitimize Israel and Jewish connection to the land. The most recent instance was UNESCO's decision that the Temple Mount had no connection to Judaism.

ALL THIS TO SAY that everyone wants peace -- without the other side getting what they want.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,087.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, as my old pastor used to say, "That (the Israeli - Palestinian issue) will be a problem for the next 300 years!"

He was speaking allegorically of course, but you might say he was somewhat cynical about the "peace process". I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,087.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As an incidental addition to my post above, the old pastor died himself in January 1992. That's 26 years ago this month. For all I remember he may have made the comment four years before that, so that's 30 years ago.

Which means ten percent of his allegorical 300 years has already gone, and there hasn't been one ounce of progress towards a lasting peace.

Maybe it won't be such an allegorical statement after all?

Upvote 0