Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel said Thursday that it will bar two Democratic congresswomen from entering the country ahead of a planned visit over their support for a Palestinian-led boycott movement, a decision announced shortly after President Donald Trump tweeted that it would “show great weakness” to allow them in.

The move to bar Reps. Rashida Tlaib of Michigan and Ilhan Omar of Minnesota from visiting appeared to be unprecedented. It marked a deep foray by Israel into America’s bitterly polarized politics and a sharp escalation of Israel’s campaign against the international boycott movement.

The two newly-elected Muslim members of Congress are outspoken critics of Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians and have repeatedly sparred with Trump over a range of issues. Tlaib’s family immigrated to the United States from the West Bank, where she still has close relatives.

They had planned to visit Jerusalem and the West Bank on a tour organized by a Palestinian organization aimed at highlighting the plight of the Palestinians. It was not immediately clear if they had planned to meet with Israeli officials, and spokespeople for the two congresswomen did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel is “open to critics and criticism,” except for those who advocate boycotts against it.

“Congresswomen Tlaib and Omar are leading activists in promoting the legislation of boycotts against Israel in the American Congress,” Netanyahu charged. He said their itinerary “revealed that they planned a visit whose sole objective is to strengthen the boycott against us and deny Israel’s legitimacy.”

More at link: Israel bars entry to outspoken US congresswomen

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've gone through all the articles on the topic and this was an anti-Israel visit planned in order to drum up more anti-Israel support using their weight as congresswoman..

So with that in mind, yes Israel has the right to block their entry.. it's not a state visit where these women are representing our country, or anything to do with official U.S. business, this is their personal war against Israel hoping to drag all of the U.S. left along with them..

So yeah, Israel has the right.

As for Trumps tweet, it came hours after the Times of Israel posted a leaked report saying that according to unnamed sources the Israeli Minister was considering blocking the visit...

So I'm going to say Trumps tweet was likely his way of saying the U.S. would support their decision, just spoken in true Trump fashion...

So, I'll say I would support this decision as well.. this has nothing to do with U.S. Israel relations.

Upvote 0

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've gone through all the articles on the topic and this was an anti-Israel visit planned in order to drum up more anti-Israel support using their weight as congresswoman..

So with that in mind, yes Israel has the right to block their entry.. it's not a state visit where these women are representing our country, or anything to do with official U.S. business, this is their personal war against Israel hoping to drag all of the U.S. left along with them..

So yeah, Israel has the right.

Absolutely spot on !

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0