Israel bars Congress members who support boycott from entering.

SammyClifnote

Aug 13, 2019
Walla Walla
✟9,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it's great that Trump doesn't have to work with the US Legislature and he can be as openly antagonistic at historical levels as he could ever imagine. In the long run this is really good strategy. Because when it comes time to pass some laws that Trump really wants to see enabled he can always rely on the Knesset and the bridges he has built.

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That is Israeli law.

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel said Thursday that it will bar two Democratic congresswomen from entering the country ahead of a planned visit over their support for a Palestinian-led boycott movement, a decision announced shortly after President Donald Trump tweeted that it would "show great weakness" to allow them in.

I guess if you support a movement designed to harm a country, that country might not welcome you as a guest.

Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Was Israel really wrong to reject someone who was likely to break Israeli law and speak out in favor of the boycott, especially during the three weeks before the election? I would note that when the congresswoman petitioned Israel for a humanitarian exception to the law barring those who speak out in favor of the boycott, Israel fooled the congresswoman and said yes. She then showed her true colors, indicating that her purpose was to speak out, not to visit her grandmother.

Democrats continue to be hoodwinked by Trump into supporting the Squad. Trump's plan continues to work.

That's certainly possible, but what we see is Israel saying that they wouldn't deny them access, then reversing that decision hours after a tweet from the President saying that they shouldn't let them in. Regardless of any back-channel communications, publicly making a statement like that - supporting a foreign country over your own citizens - is crossing a line for the President, in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Was Israel really wrong to reject someone who was likely to break Israeli law and speak out in favor of the boycott, especially during the three weeks before the election? I would note that when the congresswoman petitioned Israel for a humanitarian exception to the law barring those who speak out in favor of the boycott, Israel fooled the congresswoman and said yes. She then showed her true colors, indicating that her purpose was to speak out, not to visit her grandmother.

Democrats continue to be hoodwinked by Trump into supporting the Squad. Trump's plan continues to work.
Israel can do what it wants. What I object to is Trump publicly applauding it and at least appearing to have influenced the decision

Also, it's possible to object to being placed under conditions on principle without intending to violate them.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

SammyClifnote

Aug 13, 2019
Walla Walla
✟9,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

It's not the Israeli reaction that is important here. Israel is free to do as Israel wants to do! That is all well and good.

What is a problem is that the President of the United States appears to be working AGAINST AMERICAN LEGISLATORS and on behalf of (yet again) a foreign nation. Whether Trump asked Netanyahu to make sure they were kept out or not isn't even really the point.

Trump needs to remember that he can have political differences with Dems in the House...but, as has been said before, political differences stop at our shores.

Trump should be reminded HE IS AN AMERICAN, not a Russian, not an Israeli, not a North Korean. That he works for and on behalf of ALL OF US AMERICANS.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,241.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I do love the way all these conspiracy nuts think President Trump actually uses Twitter to communicate with Heads of State. ^_^

You mean those conspiracy nuts like actual foreign heads of state who have described on multiple occasions first hearing about Trump policies towards their countries via Twitter?

Not to mention the conspiracy nuts in our own government who tell us this is what is happening.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,241.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that the decision was made with more correspondence than that to which we are privy. I can hardly picture the President calling the Prime Minister and just blurting out "Hey, Dude, you can't let those chicks in your country. That's gonna look bad for you guys," (well, actually, I can imagine that part pretty vivdly, but) with Netanyahu responding with something like "You know? You're absolutely right, man. I never thought of it that way. Cool. Thanks. Catch ya later."

Indeed. I believe it was a much more cynical calculation than you express.

What's unbelievable to me is urging the entire world to boycott a country, and then expecting "business-as-usual" hospitality from them.

There is a lot of uncovered ground between "Business as usual" and banned from entry. Do you feel the actions of Israel are appropriate?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess if you support a movement designed to harm a country, that country might not welcome you as a guest.

It ain't rocket science.
Bible says to dust off our sandals.
They wouldn't be welcome at our house.
M-Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
fair enough

You disagree with the president's foreign policy decisions with regard to israel. Perhaps, you also objected to his recognizing the Israeli capital of Jerusalem, and lots of his other actions in cooperating with our most important ally in the Middle East.

If a Democrat is elected to be president, the new president will make different decisions.

Israel can do what it wants. What I object to is Trump publicly applauding it and at least appearing to have influenced the decision

Also, it's possible to object to being placed under conditions on principle without intending to violate them.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those people are called "Deep State".
Thank God for the Deep State. For all its ills, it is all that stands in the way of the US becoming a banana republic.

Upvote 0

SammyClifnote

Aug 13, 2019
Walla Walla
✟9,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank God for the Deep State. For all its ills, it is all that stands in the way of the US becoming a banana republic.

Yup. Now if only the Deep State were actually as powerful as the Right seems to think it is.

Being a former government worker (eons ago) I have been really saddened at what the Trump administration has been able to force these departments to do on his behalf. Trump has no view of history and no view of anything that requires thought or reason. He's a toddler with a hammer who is getting his jollies destroying things. When he's gone the rest of the country will have to pick up the mess.

Which is exactly the way he's lived his entire life. No personal responsibility for anything leaving daddy or random contractors or customers or creditors to pick up the pieces after he's done "playing".

• Agree
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟317,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
fair enough

You disagree with the president's foreign policy decisions with regard to israel. Perhaps, you also objected to his recognizing the Israeli capital of Jerusalem, and lots of his other actions in cooperating with our most important ally in the Middle East.

If a Democrat is elected to be president, the new president will make different decisions.
This has zero relation to what I said.

Governments punishing people for their speech is pretty un-American - we don't do it (First Amendment), and we shouldn't encourage other nations to do it, especially to American citizens. That's the only thing I take issue with here.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SammyClifnote

Aug 13, 2019
Walla Walla
✟9,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Governments punishing people for their speech is pretty un-American - we don't do it (First Amendment),

Well, we do now! Welcome to Great America!

and we shouldn't encourage other nations to do it, especially to American citizens. That's the only thing I take issue with here.

Personally I think Israel should say or do whatever Israel wants to do. They are their own country. I agree that our President should NOT be encouraging it because he's the president of America and Tlaib and Omar are both AMERICAN LEGISLATORS.

In the real world of work it is SELDOM considered a good idea to attack your coworkers when talking to outside companies. But then Trump has never actually had to work in an actual job, so he might not have learned this lesson.

• Agree
Upvote 0

mark46

Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟830,515.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
To work in favor of all Americans does not mean accepting the views and actions of those who do not act in the best interest of all Americans. Trump believes and stated publicly (which he shouldn't have done) that the congress folks wanting to go to Israel in violation of their laws in order to speak in favor of a boycott was NOT in the in interest of ALL Americans, especially when such action is clearly an effort to speak against the government 3 weeks before an election.
======
Perhaps we should invite/allow members of the Israeli parliament to speak at Democratic rallies against Trump in October of next year.

It's not the Israeli reaction that is important here. Israel is free to do as Israel wants to do! That is all well and good.

What is a problem is that the President of the United States appears to be working AGAINST AMERICAN LEGISLATORS and on behalf of (yet again) a foreign nation. Whether Trump asked Netanyahu to make sure they were kept out or not isn't even really the point.

Trump needs to remember that he can have political differences with Dems in the House...but, as has been said before, political differences stop at our shores.

Trump should be reminded HE IS AN AMERICAN, not a Russian, not an Israeli, not a North Korean. That he works for and on behalf of ALL OF US AMERICANS.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

But to use her own grandmother who she's afraid she may never see again as a pawn in making such an objection is questionable at best.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This has zero relation to what I said.

Governments punishing people for their speech is pretty un-American - we don't do it (First Amendment), and we shouldn't encourage other nations to do it, especially to American citizens. That's the only thing I take issue with here.

Don't we? What's all this about Trump's "hate-speech" that he was condemned by the House democrats for?

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,241.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But to use her own grandmother who she's afraid she may never see again as a pawn in making such an objection is questionable at best.

How about using access to loved ones as leverage against free speech? Is that perhaps not the larger issue here?

Upvote 0