Isn't Non-denominational Christianity self-contradictory?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most non-denominational congregations are non-denominational because they were started by the pastor who did not want to answer to any higher authority such as a bishop, superintendent, or convention, or to risk any such denominational authority making any claims upon the local congregations property. He built the church up by himself, he thinks, and he wants to keep it self-governing.

As others have noted, this doesn't mean that the non-denominational congregation doesn't have a statement of beliefs. Having one, though, makes it a de facto denomination (however tiny) all by itself.

The beliefs found in that statement typically are similar to the beliefs of a typical Baptist church. By contrast, an independent congregation of Lutherans or Anglicans or Methodists, for example, will usually just bill itself as Lutheran, Anglican or etc.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Division is a Mathematical exercise consisting of an Enumerator and a Denominator.

The correct term is "numerator". An enumerator is a person who counts or lists. As in "The enumerator prepared the voter list for the election."

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was talking about that with a friend (she got mad). I mean they claim they want to be just like the Church of the New Testament when most of them have their own theology that set them apart from other form of Christianity (even among themselves), specially the Apostolic Churches.
Being "non-denominational" simply means unaffiliated with any of the major mainstream denominations. However, since many of the non-denoms are connected through various channels, it really has become a denomination unto itself. That said.... the idea that the early church was Baptist, or Pentecostal of Catholic is simply off base. The better argument would be to say they were Jews who found their messiah. So I choose "non-denom" on this site to just say, "unaffiliated Christian."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So I choose "non-denom" on this site to just say, "unaffiliated Christian."
…which is what I assume is meant by anyone here who chooses that category. It is possible, in theory, that they belong to independent congregations, but I think most simply are signaling what you said here.

This is fine with me. What I don't understand is why CF gives Christian as a choice since that selection (which is quite popular, if you notice) tells the rest of us nothing about them.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
…which is what I assume is meant by anyone here who chooses that category. It is possible, in theory, that they belong to independent congregations, but I think most simply are signaling what you said here.

This is fine with me. What I don't understand is why CF gives Christian as a choice since that selection (which is quite popular, if you notice) tells the rest of us nothing about them.
I can't answer that. I like this site, but still don't understand why we allow atheists? It is a CHRISTIAN site. :)

Upvote 0

Theo Book

Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The correct term is "numerator". An enumerator is a person who counts or lists. As in "The enumerator prepared the voter list for the election."

Right! An "E" numerator counts all the "E"rrors made by well-meaning doctrine developers.

• Haha
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing? Really? Think about that for a moment. When someone tells you they are a Christian that tells you nothing about them? It tells me the most important thing about them.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nothing? Really?
Well, I thought about that when I was typing, but I really could think of almost nothing that would be implied except that the person considers himself a Christian of some sort.

Think about that for a moment. When someone tells you they are a Christian that tells you nothing about them? It tells me the most important thing about them.
Yes, I guess you could say that, but what else does it tell us here on the forums that allows us to understand where they are coming from? And I have to wonder what the reason is for deliberately not mentioning a preferred denomination or, if it applies, non-denom, other, or etc.

Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I most assuredly believe all of the readers are capable of figuring out where the divisions come from that are prevalent among us. SCHOLARS who think they know something you don't know, take charge of teaching us what God really meant to say, but got it mixed up when He gave it to MEN to distribute it to MEN.

It is wrong to blame scholars, after all Jesus was a rabbi (teacher) an Paul was a scholar.

Scholars are needed to combat heresy. But they are also human and in their schooling may go to an opposite extreme.

Jewish scholars use this format: X says x, but Y says y, but I think i.

It makes clear the issues and possible solutions.

In modern Christianity it is not scholars who are the problem, it is amateurs who know nothing of any argument but their own.

Reactions: FatalHeart
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Well, I thought about that when I was typing, but I really could think of almost nothing that would be implied except that the person considers himself a Christian of some sort.

Yes, I guess you could say that, but what else does it tell us here on the forums that allows us to understand where they are coming from? And I have to wonder what the reason is for deliberately not mentioning a preferred denomination or, if it applies, non-denom, other, or etc.
Perhaps because tying yourself to a denomination can mean that people put you in a box theologically, even if you don’t actually agree with some aspects of that denomination. I was part of an AoG church for 5 years, but I would never call myself Pentecostal as I don’t agree with some of their ideas.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
True, I’ve maintained the argument that ‘bible only’ is also a misnomer due to the fact its impossible for human beings to read, hear, comprehend, decipher information and especially clarify religious doctrines and practices without preimposed paradigms. That’s why I shared the phrase ‘nuda scriptura’ distinguishing it from ‘sola scriptura’ which readily embraces this fact.

That makes no sense. Are you saying that Christians can't understand what God is saying to us without being told by some "church"what that is?

Reactions: FatalHeart
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps because tying yourself to a denomination can mean that people put you in a box theologically, even if you don’t actually agree with some aspects of that denomination. I was part of an AoG church for 5 years, but I would never call myself Pentecostal as I don’t agree with some of their ideas.
Then perhaps that would be an exception among the many people who have taken to listing themselves by the generic "Christian." Even then, however, you would still be telling the forum that you are oriented towards the AoG in most respects. The subject of the gifts of the Holy Spirit provides only one out of many possible topics of discussion here.

By contrast, I have gotten into discussions with people who listed themselves as "Christian," but their responses were very unspecific. Only well into the thread did it come out that they thought that the RCC was the one true church and the only one for them. That's fine--their preferences--but why fool everyone and make the exchange of ideas confused?

Upvote 0

FatalHeart

Wisdom's Associate
Jan 23, 2013
The pulsating core of the interwebs
✟20,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some divisions are necessary, but in whole the church should not be divided. Anti-denominational would be what I could call myself, but anyone that stands for something they call the truth will find themselves segregated somewhere. Accepting everything as the same and assuming that nothing matters are two things God shows in the Bible to be stupid, but what Paul was implying was that Christ is what mattered; I don't think there is division between those who have the Spirit, but what I do believe is that there are many, many people following their own cultures and ideas rather than Jesus Christ. Their sincerity is skin deep. With the Holy Spirit and the hand of God readily available as it is, along with God's answers from prayer, the only real cause of division and contradicting denominations today are wolves and false Christians, a people more in love with themselves than God. Is it too much for man to sin in this way when you have countless religions professing countless other gods? Would it not make sense that even among the flock they would infiltrate and lie their way into factions and scatter everything? I don't think God is too concerned with those who lie; Paul shared in Athens, took the handful that listened, and left.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By contrast, I have gotten into discussions with people who listed themselves as "Christian," but their responses were very unspecific. Only well into the thread did it come out that they thought that the RCC was the one true church and the only one for them. That's fine--their preferences--but why fool everyone and make the exchange of ideas confused?

How are they “fooling” anyone? You don’t think Catholics are Christians?

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am a new Christian. I've not been saved four years yet.

My problem is one of life. I spent it being told what God was and wasn't, what was right to believe and what was wrong, and for the most part I believed it, only to find it seriously lacking in practice.

That deficiency led me to search for God alone, which had serious deficiencies all its own so I'd go back to what men told me was right because it was safe, only to be saddened by what was lacking and set out in search of God once more.

God finally took pity on my ignorance and sheer stupidity, and in His perfect Grace set me on a path to Him that He directed. Praise and Glory to Him alone.

So here I am a Christian, finding myself unable to trust what "men" tell me, but God is guiding and teaching me so I'm learning, albeit slowly sometimes i think, head spinningly fast other times..

I lean toward certain beliefs (I think it could be considered mid-reformation but not positive because I'm no expert in church history) but find modern churches lacking at times, or in certain areas. I've settled on the fact no one believes 100% truth, or they don't practice it. Unbiblical things have crept in to every church over time, and I believe that will only get worse in years to come.

I understand those who are confessional and creedal. It does help.. but I have to believe it on my own this time, I have to flesh it all out just me and God before I can say it. I have to know it.

Am I so unusual? I wonder sometimes...

I might be wrong, and it may yet be ignorance holding this opinion, but at least I'm still learning, still growing.. getting somewhere with it all.

I am constantly scared though, because this is my last chance to get it right so i pray its really God guiding me in all this, and that even as I'm so sure it is.

But it's myself I have no faith in.... and seeing the state of today's "church" only serves to reinforce the idea I can't have any faith at all in my own ability to determine anything. So I trust in God all the more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
How are they “fooling” anyone? You don’t think Catholics are Christians?
I think the point is that those who use the term don’t want to be associated with one denomination, but these do so calling themselves as such is actually disingenuous.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the point is that those who use the term don’t want to be associated with one denomination, but these do so calling themselves as such is actually disingenuous.
Or maybe they consider themselves Christians first and foremost. Perhaps we should refrain from assuming the worst about our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Upvote 0