Isn't Non-denominational Christianity self-contradictory?

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was talking about that with a friend (she got mad). I mean they claim they want to be just like the Church of the New Testament when most of them have their own theology that set them apart from other form of Christianity (even among themselves), specially the Apostolic Churches.

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was talking about that with a friend (she got mad). I mean they claim they want to be just like the Church of the New Testament when most of them have their own theology that set them apart from other form of Christianity (even among themselves), specially the Apostolic Churches.
Organized confusion is the motto operandum of the majority of non-dom churches.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟776,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many, many, though not all, "non-denominational" churches are really denominational churches in disguise. No less than three large churches in my city would appear to be "non-denominational" but are really Methodist, COG, and Baptist. You will not find their denomination in the name, material, or elsewhere, but they are still associated with the main denomination. They are actually churches that have been around for some time, but felt a rebrand was needed to succeed. It is having some limited success with one, and the other two are still stagnant or shrinking - but still large.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Examples?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Some people do get hurt by churches and maybe think leaving the church is the answer. Perhaps others just don't want to bother with going to church and the inherent responsibilities.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Examples?
Some of them have an Arminian point of view, others a Calvinist one. Some believe in speaking in tongues, others don't. Some are dispensationalist and support Israel and others don't.
However most of them have Baptist theology about Communion and Baptism or barely have them.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some of them have an Arminian point of view, others a Calvinist one. Some believe in speaking in tongues, others don't. Some are dispensationalist and support Israel and others don't.
However most of them have Baptist theology about Communion and Baptism or barely have them.
And this differs from denominational Christian churches how?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Many, many, though not all, "non-denominational" churches are really denominational churches in disguise. No less than three large churches in my city would appear to be "non-denominational" but are really Methodist, COG, and Baptist. You will not find their denomination in the name, material, or elsewhere, but they are still associated with the main denomination. They are actually churches that have been around for some time, but felt a rebrand was needed to succeed. It is having some limited success with one, and the other two are still stagnant or shrinking - but still large.

I have seen this for quite some time. Most are not really "non-denominational" but are really "denominational-but-independent". There are also some that are owned lock, stock and barrel by the pastor and have no congregational control at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

No wonder she got mad.

When you say "Most of them have, etc." it sounds from what you wrote here that you were talking as though her congregation were part of some denomination that you had in mind and which (in your view) doesn't believe what the New Testament church believed.

Just the opposite of what a non-denominational church is, in other words.

To be clear, that isn't to say that her church, an independent congregation, does teach what the New Testament church taught. I have no way of knowing that, just going by the information available to me from this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"Bible Only". I'm sure they have tried not specified in the Bible.
True, I’ve maintained the argument that ‘bible only’ is also a misnomer due to the fact its impossible for human beings to read, hear, comprehend, decipher information and especially clarify religious doctrines and practices without preimposed paradigms. That’s why I shared the phrase ‘nuda scriptura’ distinguishing it from ‘sola scriptura’ which readily embraces this fact.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No wonder she got mad.

When you say "Most of them have, etc." it sounds from what you wrote here that you were talking as though her congregation were part of some denomination that you had in mind and which (in your view) doesn't believe what the New Testament church believed.

Just the opposite of what a non-denominational church is, in other words.

To be clear, that isn't to say that her church, an independent congregation, does teach what the New Testament church taught. I have no way of knowing that, just going by the information available to me from this thread.
Seems reasonable. I might try to be friendlier next time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So the issue is semantics, not theology?
Both. Like I said, they claim to have the same teaching of the New Testament but you will see that their theology is more similar to one of other denominations than themselves.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Both. Like I said, they claim to have the same teaching of the New Testament but you will see that their theology is more similar to one of other denominations than themselves.
Can you give us an example of how you feel they are not “of the New Testament?”

Upvote 0

Theo Book

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Division is a Mathematical exercise consisting of an Enumerator and a Denominator. The Enumerator is divided by the Denominator. Denominations are what divides the church. The "de-nom-inator" is a NAME of what is divided (NOM means NAME). The Church is therefore the Denominator in this division of what must not be divided.

1 Corinthians 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. 3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: 5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

I most assuredly believe all of the readers are capable of figuring out where the divisions come from that are prevalent among us. SCHOLARS who think they know something you don't know, take charge of teaching us what God really meant to say, but got it mixed up when He gave it to MEN to distribute it to MEN.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Many nondenominational churches have the same doctrines as the early church without the traditions and rituals. I think most use that term because they don’t want to be categorized as a follower of any particular group they’re goal is to focus on the scriptures regardless of what men have taught. Like Martin Luther and John Calvin for example.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

I am non-denominational because I don't trust any other human on this planet, especially with the trajectory of my soul. Learning from others is no problem, and fellowship is paramount to growth. But, the division that says I am not allowed to read this book, or to interpret that book is what I do not condone.

My Father, and the Redeemer don't need me to be a part of an edifice full of people to receive His instruction and comfort - He has already told us He sent us a Comforter, and the Kingdom is within us. It is my responsibility to correctly divide the Word of the Most High God - I cannot say my pastor led me astray on Judgment day; the Most High God will ask me why I let a human lead me astray.

Also, by definition, denomination is division. Christianity, as it were, is supposed to be about unity.

Upvote 0