Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
The whole point of “Political Correctness” is to avoid offending people. However, Jesus told us that we would be hated by the world if we follow him. He even said, “Remember when they hate you, they hated me first.”

Now a days I see so many Christians, of all types, that don’t want to defend the truth for fear of offending others. They don’t want to be hated even though be hated could be considered evidence of faithfulness to Jesus.

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The modern church has basically been absorbed into a political world religion of "Enlightenment"... we call secularity or liberal democracy, and operates according to the principles of rational social science.

Today, Political correctness is a kind of sacramental code of ethics we adhere to firstly with strict obedience, and then Biblical teaching only comes secondly with careful consideration that we are not treading on the sacred ground of democracy. As churches we declare our allegiance to Enlightened Democracy publicly as the primary force for good in world history, and then we worship the God of the Bible only privately as atomized individuals within the greater social organization of the liberal democratic order.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The idea of political correctness is to avoid insulting or excluding people on account of their ethnicity, gender, etc. The term "political correctness" is a joke about taking things too far, so that we're afraid to say anything to anybody, and it's a good warning, to remember that we shouldn't be super-touchy about every little thing. But still, remember that political correctness is a GOOD thing taken too far. That is, it's GOOD to avoid insulting or excluding people on account of their ethnicity, gender, etc. I don't agree that this is contrary to the Christian faith.

I agree that it's possible to be hated for following Jesus in ways that are contrary to the world. But remember that it's also possible to be hated for being a jerk. If I tell a racist or sexist joke at work, and somebody calls me out on it, I'm not being persecuted for righteousness' sake; I'm being chastised for being a jerk.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
The idea of political correctness is to avoid insulting or excluding people on account of their ethnicity, gender, etc. The term "political correctness" is a joke about taking things too far, so that we're afraid to say anything to anybody, and it's a good warning, to remember that we shouldn't be super-touchy about every little thing. But still, remember that political correctness is a GOOD thing taken too far. That is, it's GOOD to avoid insulting or excluding people on account of their ethnicity, gender, etc. I don't agree that this is contrary to the Christian faith.

I agree that it's possible to be hated for following Jesus in ways that are contrary to the world. But remember that it's also possible to be hated for being a jerk. If I tell a racist or sexist joke at work, and somebody calls me out on it, I'm not being persecuted for righteousness' sake; I'm being chastised for being a jerk.
But I am not talking about jerks. I’m talking about those who betray Jesus. Tell me, How do you feel about all the Christians in congress, including some Republicans, that are supporting the so-called “Respect for Marriage Act?”

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The whole point of “Political Correctness” is to avoid offending people. However, Jesus told us that we would be hated by the world if we follow him. He even said, “Remember when they hate you, they hated me first.”

Now a days I see so many Christians, of all types, that don’t want to defend the truth for fear of offending others. They don’t want to be hated even though be hated could be considered evidence of faithfulness to Jesus.
Jesus Christ of Nazareth did not say Christian's would be hated because they are offensive, they will be hated for His name's sake.
Matthew 10
Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. 23When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus Christ of Nazareth did not say Christian's would be hated because they are offensive, they will be hated for His namesake.
Blessings.
You are saying that Jesus was not offensive?

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are saying that Jesus was not offensive?
Absolutely not. To be offensive is to be aggressive, abusive, harassing, belligerent and , threatening. He condemned hypocrisy by challenging the lawlessness of those who were given authority. The truth will pierce the heart.
Blessings.

Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Political correctness at its core is a rejection of Biblical concept of virtue and social hierarchy in favor of modern "enlightened" social organization.

At the root of political correctness you find ideas about how the structure of society and the family should be fundamentally organized from a position of social-science, removed from the "dogma" and "authoritarianism" of things like traditional family roles and religious upbringings.

Going back several decades it has been considered "insulting" to suggest that women should generally aspire to motherhood and domestic roles in the home while men are generally the leaders in society... that idea is both totally Biblical and also extremely "insulting and excluding" to modern society where we are told women have been "liberated" from such oppression. And in the year 2022 the social fruits of "women's liberation" are quite evident. It's a disaster.

So I would probably not agree that it was ever a good thing, though it may have seemed to be so at one point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But I am not talking about jerks. I’m talking about those who betray Jesus. Tell me, How do you feel about all the Christians in congress, including some Republicans, that are supporting the so-called “Respect for Marriage Act?”

I would say that these members of Congress recognize that Americans (including American Christians) hold a variety of views on interracial marriage and same-sex marriage, and that these members of Congress want legal protections for these couples, even if they, personally, would not enter into one of these marriages due to their religious beliefs.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Defend the truth about what?

It is largely because of "hate speech" .... that is not clearly defined .... differing opinions are often cited as "hate speech"

Hate speech - current definition

abusive or threatening speech or writing that expresses prejudice against a particular group, especially on the basis of race, religion, or sexual orientation.

People often cite this just because of differing opinions about things. Having a different opinion about something isn't hate speech .... it would seem hate speech it's in the manner (how) in which it is discussed, not the thing being discussed.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Absolutely not. To be offensive is to be aggressive, abusive, harassing, belligerent and , threatening. He condemned hypocrisy by challenging the lawlessness of those who were given authority. The truth will pierce the heart.
Blessings.
1) Everything seems to be considered aggressive, abusive, etc. lately. If a person says, “A man cannot be a woman” that is considered violent words now.

2) Jesus condemned everyone, and not just those with authority. For example, he condemned all sexual immorality, and it didn’t matter if you had authority, nor if you were gay or straight.

3) political correctness also seems to cancel out innocent things to. For example, The Rolling Stones hace stated they will never play “Brown Sugar” again. This is a song that glorifies the attractiveness of black people. But now, it’s politically incorrect simply because it mentions the word “slave.”

4) There a movie in the eighties called “Soul Man” that is now politically incorrect. The entire movie is a statement against racism towards blacks, and yet it is now considered politically incorrect simply because the main actor’s character wore makeup to live as a black man. Sorry, but that’s not the same as black-face. The movie even had a profound anti racist ending. SPOILER ALERT: At the end, the great James Earl Jones says to C. Thomas Howell, “Well, I guess you know what it’s like to be black.” Howell responded, “No, I still don’t because I always had the option to live as a White whenever I chose.”

5) If you’re not Hispanic, you wouldn’t know this, but government entities love to send me double of every letter. One in English and one in Spanish. No matter what I do they insist on wasting the paper.

6) This morning I went to a University of Miami doctor, and when I was signing in, the computer asked me about my preferred pronouns. Why do they have to be so PC, and why don’t they care about offending me?

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I would say that these members of Congress recognize that Americans (including American Christians) hold a variety of views on interracial marriage and same-sex marriage, and that these members of Congress want legal protections for these couples, even if they, personally, would not enter into one of these marriages due to their religious beliefs.
Yes, and Robert E. Lee was personally opposed to slavery but he didn’t want impose his morals on his fellow southerners. He actually fought to defend slavery. What do you think about that?

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
5) If you’re not Hispanic, you wouldn’t know this, but government entities love to send me double of every letter. One in English and one in Spanish. No matter what I do they insist on wasting the paper.
I'm not Hispanic and I get all government correspondence in both English and Spanish as well ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What does it mean to you to "defend the truth"? What does that entail in your mind, socially and politically speaking, Daniel? I'm asking because you're a bit vague on this point.

Personally, I can be "bold" while presenting some social and religious points to other people if and when needed, but I don't see the act of being bold as a first social resort, especially not as a necessary part of making my existential decisions to "be a Christian" in society.

Am I a heretic for not standing the way you'd prefer? I'd say no. Besides, we have to walk circumspectly in a dark world, and being that the U.S. has never been Constitutionally or Ideologically a "Christian Nation," I think it's a bit much to expect Christians to get all up in the business of elected officials in the government and/or of fellow citizens who press for Political Correctness.

Where politics is concerned, I think all we can do is do what Paul did: make peaceful, orderly appeals with intelligence and integrity before the legal magistrates to get a hearing for "OUR" side of things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,136.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, and Robert E. Lee was personally opposed to slavery but he didn’t want impose his morals on his fellow southerners. He actually fought to defend slavery. What do you think about that?

With slavery, there's the issue that people were being seriously, verifiably, physically harmed by the institution of slavery.

Let me suggest a different analogy: Interfaith marriage. Some people think that one should only marry a person of one's same religion. Other people think that it's okay to marry a person who follows a different religion. Regardless of where I stand on the wisdom of interfaith marriage, I am willing to have US law recognize their marriages (in fact, I think the legal recognition is good, to give stability to their households), and I am willing to treat people in interfaith marriages with courtesy.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1) Everything seems to be considered aggressive, abusive, etc. lately. If a person says, “A man cannot be a woman” that is considered violent words now.

2) Jesus condemned everyone, and not just those with authority. For example, he condemned all sexual immorality, and it didn’t matter if you had authority, nor if you were gay or straight.

3) political correctness also seems to cancel out innocent things to. For example, The Rolling Stones hace stated they will never play “Brown Sugar” again. This is a song that glorifies the attractiveness of black people. But now, it’s politically incorrect simply because it mentions the word “slave.”

4) There a movie in the eighties called “Soul Man” that is now politically incorrect. The entire movie is a statement against racism towards blacks, and yet it is now considered politically incorrect simply because the main actor’s character wore makeup to live as a black man. Sorry, but that’s not the same as black-face. The movie even had a profound anti racist ending. SPOILER ALERT: At the end, the great James Earl Jones says to C. Thomas Howell, “Well, I guess you know what it’s like to be black.” Howell responded, “No, I still don’t because I always had the option to live as a White whenever I chose.”

6) This morning I went to a University of Miami doctor, and when I was signing in, the computer asked me about my preferred pronouns. Why do they have to be so PC, and why don’t they care about offending me?
Sounds like we are talking about two different things. Sorry things are tough for you.
Thanks for engaging!

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
With slavery, there's the issue that people were being seriously, verifiably, physically harmed by the institution of slavery.

Let me suggest a different analogy: Interfaith marriage. Some people think that one should only marry a person of one's same religion. Other people think that it's okay to marry a person who follows a different religion. Regardless of where I stand on the wisdom of interfaith marriage, I am willing to have US law recognize their marriages (in fact, I think the legal recognition is good, to give stability to their households), and I am willing to treat people in interfaith marriages with courtesy.
People aren’t being harmed by the transgender movement?

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0