Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, I do. Just raise tariffs on Chinese imports.

And they'll sell their goods elsewhere -- they still profit; we suffer. That's a solution?

Actually, Taiwan's products are better that red China's. And Taiwan is not an atheist nation, and deserving of our support.

You've got some strange ideas of "better" and "deserving," but to each his own, I suppose.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
And they'll sell their goods elsewhere -- they still profit; we suffer. That's a solution?
How could we suffer? There would be more US jobs, which is what we desperately need right now.

You've got some strange ideas of "better" and "deserving," but to each his own, I suppose.
What's wrong with Taiwan, the legitimate China? We must not forget our ally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
How could we suffer? There would be more US jobs, which is what we desperately need right now.

What's wrong with Taiwan, the legitimate China? We must not forget our ally.

Well there's your answer -- there won't be more US jobs -- we'll still be importing, not manufacturing -- just from a different source.

And who's to tell US companies to stop importing? You?

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
Well there's your answer -- there won't be more US jobs -- we'll still be importing, not manufacturing -- just from a different source.

And who's to tell US companies to stop importing? You?
My point is, it is getting harder to choose American made products due to the influx of Chinese made products. 70 % of the products sold at Walmart come from China. If high tariffs were placed on China's products, it would entice Walmart to buy more American products, and create US jobs.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
My point is, it is getting harder to choose American made products due to the influx of Chinese made products.

And if the influx is coming from Taiwan instead of China, what's the difference?

70 % of the products sold at Walmart come from China. If high tariffs were placed on China's products, it would entice Walmart to buy more American products, and create US jobs.

Except that American products would cost more, and Walmart would have to scale back, cutting US jobs. If you're lucky, you'll just break even.

Besides, no such tarrifs would exist on Taiwan's products, so why woudn't Walmart just import from them?

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How does America re-gain or re-develop anew, her industrial base once more? It is critical, as countries that cannot sustain themselves will not survive for very long.

Upvote 0

Ar Cosc

I only exist on the internet
Jul 12, 2010
Scotland
✟3,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Taiwan is OK compared to Red China. My main point is, we could bring down Red China if we wanted to.

And people have shown you why your reasoning is completely flawed, and that the US couldn't "bring down" China. Which kind of means that the US doesn't rule the world

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ar Cosc

I only exist on the internet
Jul 12, 2010
Scotland
✟3,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The US is the world's only superpower.

And it begins again:

"The US rules the world."
"But they don't rule the world, China could bring them down"
"No they couldn't, the US is the world's only superpower"
"This can't be true when China could bring down the US by calling in its debt"
"No, if China could bring down the US, the US wouldn't be the only superpower"
"That's what we've been trying to say"
"But you're wrong, because the US rules the world"

And then some crap about the sign of the son of man, 2000 year reigns, and boasting about killing Vietnamese people.

Don't you have some innocent Norwegians to be murdering?

Upvote 0

PHenry42

Feb 3, 2011
✟1,527.00
Faith
Muslim

The trade balance evens out in the long run due to floating currency exchange rates. If we'd import less, we'd also end up exporting less. Those jobs that would be generated from domestic import substitution would be lost from a decrease in exports.

Mercantilism has been refuted and consigned to the dustbin of history, get over it.

Upvote 0

Mabuz

Jul 26, 2011
✟15,123.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The US is the world's only superpower.

Depends what you mean by superpower.

If you are talking about USA in the financial sense then with a public debt at 96% of GDP underwritten by China, Japan and Britain, the USA is the slave of the powers that finance it.

In military terms China, Britain, France and Russia have the capability of wiping USA out with nuclear weapons.

USA is in decline. The BRIC nations of Brazil, Russia, India and China are the new ruling kids on the block.

Upvote 0

interpreter

Mar 4, 2004
Texas
✟7,377.00
Faith
Anglican
The trade balance evens out in the long run due to floating currency exchange rates. If we'd import less, we'd also end up exporting less. Those jobs that would be generated from domestic import substitution would be lost from a decrease in exports.

Mercantilism has been refuted and consigned to the dustbin of history, get over it.
Why would importing less mean exporting less? There is no corelation.

Upvote 0

PHenry42

Feb 3, 2011
✟1,527.00
Faith
Muslim
There is, because of floating exchange rates. To buy imports, you need the currency of the country you're importing from. You get the currency by exchanging dollars for it. When we export, whoever is buying our stuff needs to buy dollars to buy our stuff. As long as exports and imports are of equal size, it balances out and the flow of currency in and out of the country are equal.

If we export more than we import, dollars will flow from the international money market into the US economy. With the supply of dollars shrinking, the price of the dollar will rise on the international money market, and will keep on rising as long as the supply is shrinking. Making it more expensive for foreigners to buy US stuff, decreasing the competitivity of US exporters and thus decreasing exports.

Whereas if imports are higher, the opposite will happen, dollars will flow from the US economy into the international money market, increasing supply and driving down prices. Making US exporters more competitive compared to other countries' exporters, making exports rise until they match the level of imports.

This is international trade 101, if you have no clue about this stuff you have no business suggesting policy, or predicting the consequences of whatever suggested policy with regards to China.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The Quran seems to suggest that you have the right to respond in kind according to justice but it's even more meritorious to forgive the person and not respond evil for evil. In that case your reward is from God.

42:40 And the retribution for an evil act is an evil one like it, but whoever pardons and makes reconciliation - his reward is [due] from Allah . Indeed, He does not like wrongdoers.

41 And whoever avenges himself after having been wronged - those have not upon them any cause [for blame].

42 The cause is only against the ones who wrong the people and tyrannize upon the earth without right. Those will have a painful punishment.

43And whoever is patient and forgives - indeed, that is of the matters [requiring] determination.

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
One of the things I really like about the New Testament is how it makes the love of enemies such an explicit teaching in some really profound parables and stories. Someone said that it was the only religion that teaches this and I can't agree with that though. Buddhism also teaches repaying good for evil and loving all sentient beings including enemies. You aren't even allowed irritation toward another being let alone anger or hatred.

This is a teaching from one of the oldest Pali Buddhist Sutras for example

Mind is the forerunner of all actions.
All deeds are lead by mind, created by mind.
If one speaks or acts with a serene mind,
happiness follows,
As surly as ones shadow.

"He abused me, mistreated me, defeated me
robbed me."
Harboring such thoughts keep hatred alive.

"He abused me, mistreated me, defamed me,
Robbed me."
Releasing such thoughts banishes hatred for all
time.

Animosity does not eradicate animosity.
Only by loving kindness is animosity dissolved.
This law is ancient and eternal.

Even the ancient Scriptures (this one written around the Third Century BC) call the the idea of responding to animosity with loving kindness an ancient an eternal law. It can be found in many of the worlds religions.

Plato also mentioned the Golden Rule in his Crito:

One should never do wrong in return, nor mistreat any man, no matter how one has been mistreated by him."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟20,609.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Here is what one of the earliest Mahayana Sutras the Prajnaparimita says on the subject:
"The Diamond beings meditate: Our longing to be free from suffering is simply the longing of all that lives to be free from suffering. Bodhisattvas permeate their daily awareness with this commitment: We can never desert for an instant even on of these beloved beings. We can only live to liberate them all without exception from their terrible burden of delusive suffering. We can never generate the slightest thought of hatred or even irritation toward any of these precious beings, even though they may torture or destroy our bodies during a hundred consecutive lifetimes. This is the spirit with which bodhisattvas dedicate their mind and heart to conscious beings, recognizing all beings as their very own intimate consciousness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What about all the instances in Christianity where God instructs this followers to commit genocide, or stone to death people who work on the Sabbath? Jesus even says at one point that he comes bearing a sword. You can't really pick and choose from holy books.

Do you care to expand? Or is that all you know of it?

Upvote 0