Islam root of Terrorism? I don't think so...

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
In the name of God, the Most Merciful, the Most Kind. I pray the Lord to guide us unto a Way that is Upright and pleasing to Him. Blessed be his Messengers, Prophets and the believers among His Servants.

In my continuing efforts to dispel the rampant misconceptions about Islam, I bring you this article that was published in the New York Times and the Herald Tribune.

I hope this will silence those of you who keep reiterating the mantra of "well a great majority of terrorist attacks are committed by Muslims, henceforth therefore and consequently, Islam is violent".

Bolded text is my own addition. Enjoy. (from http://iht.com/cgi-bin/generic.cgi?template=articleprint.tmplh&ArticleId=110800)

logoBW.gif

Copyright © 2003 The International Herald Tribune | www.iht.com

Dying to kill: The strategic logic of suicide bombers Robert A. Pape NYT
Tuesday, September 23, 2003
CHICAGO Suicide terrorism has been on the rise around the world for two decades, but there is great confusion as to why. Since many such attacks - including, of course, those of Sept. 11, 2001 - have been perpetrated by Muslim terrorists professing religious motives, it might seem obvious that Islamic fundamentalism is the central cause. This presumption has fueled the belief that future Sept. 11's can be avoided only by a wholesale transformation of Muslim societies, which in turn was a core reason for broad public support in the United States of the invasion of Iraq.

However, this presumed connection between suicide terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism is wrongheaded, and it may be encouraging domestic and foreign policies that are likely to worsen America's situation.

I have spent a year compiling a database of every suicide bombing and attack around the globe from 1980 to 2001 - 188 in all. It includes any attack in which at least one terrorist killed himself or herself while attempting to kill others, although I excluded attacks authorized by a national government, such as those by North Korea against the South. The data show that there is little connection between suicide terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism, or any religion for that matter. In fact, the leading instigator of suicide attacks is the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, a Marxist-Leninist group whose members are from Hindu families but who are adamantly opposed to religion (they have committed 75 of the 188 incidents).

Rather, what nearly all suicide terrorist campaigns have in common is a specific secular and strategic goal: to compel liberal democracies to withdraw military forces from territory that the terrorists consider to be their homeland. Religion is rarely the root cause, although it is often used as a tool by terrorist organizations in recruiting and in other efforts in service of the broader strategic objective.

Three general patterns in the data support my conclusions. First, nearly all suicide terrorist attacks occur as part of organized campaigns, not as isolated or random incidents. Of the 188 separate attacks in the period I studied, 179 could have their roots traced to large, coherent political or military campaigns.

Second, liberal democracies are uniquely vulnerable to suicide terrorists. The United States, France, India, Israel, Russia, Sri Lanka and Turkey have been the targets of almost every suicide attack of the past two decades, and each country has been a democracy at the time of the incidents.

Third, suicide terrorist campaigns are directed toward a strategic objective. From Lebanon to Israel to Sri Lanka to Kashmir to Chechnya, the sponsors of every campaign have been terrorist groups trying to establish or maintain political self-determination by compelling a democratic power to withdraw from the territories they claim. Even Al Qaeda fits this pattern. Although Saudi Arabia is not under American military occupation per se, the initial major objective of Osama bin Laden was the expulsion of American troops from the Gulf.

Most worrisome, my research shows that the raw number of suicide attacks has been climbing at an alarming rate, even while the rates of other types of terrorism actually declined. The worldwide annual total of terrorist incidents has fallen almost in half; there were 348 attacks in 2001 as opposed to 666 incidents in 1987. Yet the number of attacks in which the terrorists intend to kill themselves along with their victims has grown from an average of three per year in the 1980s, to 10 per year in the 1990s, to more than 25 in both 2000 and 2001.

And in terms of casualties, suicide attacks are far and way the most efficient form of terrorism. From 1980 to 2001, suicide attacks accounted for only 3 percent of terrorist incidents, but caused almost half of total deaths due to terrorism - even if one excludes as an aberration the unusually large number of fatalities on Sept. 11, 2001.

How should democracies respond? In the past, they have tended to react with heavy military offensives, only to find that this tends to incite more attacks and to stir public sympathy for the terrorists without hampering their networks (this has clearly been the case in the West Bank and Chechnya). In their frustration, some terrorized countries have then changed tacks, making concessions to political causes supported by terrorists.

Yet this doesn't work either: One likely reason suicide terrorism has been rising so rapidly in recent years is that terrorist groups have learned that the strategy pays off. Suicide terrorists were thought to compel American and French military forces to abandon Lebanon in 1983, Israeli forces to leave most of Lebanon in 1985, Israeli forces to quit the Gaza Strip and the West Bank in 1994 and 1995, and the Turkish government to grant measures of autonomy to the Kurds in the late 1990s. In all but the case of Turkey, the terrorists' political cause made far greater political gains after they resorted to suicide operations.

When one considers the strategic logic of suicide terrorism, it becomes clear that America's war on terrorism is heading in the wrong direction. The close association between foreign military occupations and the growth of suicide terrorist movements shows the folly of any strategy centering on conquering countries that sponsor terrorism or in trying to transform their political systems. At most, occupying countries will disrupt terrorist operations in the short term. But over time it will simply increase the number of terrorists coming at America.

Unfortunately, negotiating concessions with the terrorists is also not a solution. The current failure of that approach in Israel is an all-too-common pattern. Concessions are usually incremental and deliberately staggered - thus they fail to satisfy the nationalist aspirations of the suicide terrorists, yet encourage terrorist leaders to see their enemies as vulnerable to coercion.

In the end, the best approach for the states under fire is probably to focus on their own domestic security while doing what they can to see that the least militant forces on the terrorists' side build a viable state on their own. Israel, for example, would be well advised to abandon the territory it holds on the West Bank but to go ahead with building the immense wall to physically separate it from the Palestinian population. This would create real security for Israel and leave the West Bank for a true Palestinian state.

For the United States, especially in light of its growing occupation of the Gulf region, it is crucial to immediately step up border and immigration controls. In the medium term, Washington should abandon its visions of empire and allow the United Nations to take over the political and economic institutions in Iraq. And in the long run, America must move toward energy independence, reducing the need for troops in the Gulf. Even if U.S. intentions in Iraq are good, the presence of Americans there will continue to help terrorist groups recruit more people willing to blow themselves up in the war against America.

The writer teaches political science at the University of Chicago.

logoBWSmall.gif
Copyright © 2003 The International Herald Tribune

D

dan67

So, a main reason for terrorists being terrorists, is that a foreign military is on their land. I think this an over simplified reason. Is it more like a combination of poor conduct by the troops while off duty(isolated incidents can be overblown), a lack tolerance for non-Muslims on the part of the local people? It is alright to have some pride in your culture, but there can be too much pride, which can be called elitism. I have heard that the main Muslim countries are among the poorest. Is it more likely their wealth is not evenly distributed in a lot of cases? As each of us are individuals at heart, with the power to make good and bad decisions, I am sure blame runs the spectrum too.

Upvote 0

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
dan67 said:
So, a main reason for terrorists being terrorists, is that a foreign military is on their land. I think this an over simplified reason.
You're deluding yourself.

Palestinians: foreign occupation by Israelis
Chechnya: foreign occupation by Russia
Kashmir: foreign occupation by India
Iraq: foreign occupation by USA
Al-Qaeda: all of the above, plus USA forces on Saudi soil.

It is alright to have some pride in your culture, but there can be too much pride, which can be called elitism.
HEH.

I have heard that the main Muslim countries are among the poorest. Is it more likely their wealth is not evenly distributed in a lot of cases? As each of us are individuals at heart, with the power to make good and bad decisions, I am sure blame runs the spectrum too.
Ya it's disgustingly uneven! You should see the palaces in some Persian Gulf countries, while the poor are walking the streets begging for food.

God has promised us, that as long as we stick by the teachings of the Qur'an, He will bless us. As soon as we deviate, He will try us.

And this is EXACTLY what is happening. The Qur'an no longer holds the centrality it historically did in Muslims' lives. It is now a mere poem to be read at family gatherings. Lessons and message unheard! So for the past 300 years or so, our empires have been decling because of a detachment from the Qur'an.

That is why WE KNOW we have an internal problem to resolve with the fundementalists, and WE KNOW we have stupid rules wasting our wealth and resources for worldly gain. Well at least a small portion of us are starting to be fully aware of the situation. Praise God.

I'm proud of my culture because I've discovered its history recently. Just like you, i thought we were always the under dogs of the world. But apparently, the Muslims held quite a place in world affairs for a long long time.

Myself and other Muslims are working hard to awaken our brothers to Islam, and cleanse it from the abominations festering within it.

Christianity is ailing from a lack of faith and growing atheism amongst its ranks.

Islam is ailing from growing extremism and alienation from its fellow religions.

Truely, the Arabs are back to the chaos and hateful state they were in when Muhammad first came to us. The time of "Ignorance" as we call it. Maybe we will have our Renaissance soon! Renaissance to God.

Upvote 0

Fiendishjester

Devil's advocate
Jun 28, 2003
in a field of pure consciousness
✟534.00
Faith
Hindu
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with Mo.mentum for the most part, but I don't agree that the main reason terrorists exist is because of foreign occupation. Although I do not believe this, I do not believe that Islam is truly responsible either.
My main example here is Kashmir. Kashmir isn't under any foreign occupation by India. All of it, and, to add to that, all of Pakistan, was originally Indian land. Now, the land is split up, and Kashmir is split as well. India rarely if ever crosses into Pakistani Kashmir, whereas Pakistan crosses into Indian Kashmir almost every day. The Pakistanis were the first ones to violate the border laws. In this case, their actions are obviously not because of foreign occupation of their land. This being said, Islam is not the prime reason for their terrorism either. It is the fault of a political drive disguised as a religious venture to gain support from the people. Pakistan has always wanted more land, and it continues to claim that all of Kashmir should belong to it. The political leaders of Pakistan needed support from the people for this campaign, or it would have been a monumental failure. They decided to tell the public that since Kashmir was predominantly Muslim, it should belong to them. This is what gained support for the government's actions. In this case, it was really a governmental action, which operated under the mask of religion. I think that similar scenarios can be applied to other conflicts worldwide.

Upvote 0
D

dan67

mo.mentum said:
You're deluding yourself.

Palestinians: foreign occupation by Israelis
Chechnya: foreign occupation by Russia
Kashmir: foreign occupation by India
Iraq: foreign occupation by USA
Al-Qaeda: all of the above, plus USA forces on Saudi soil.
I guess I don't see where I am deluding myself. I believe my reasoning stands up in all of those cases. As there are reasons for everything, there must be a reason(s) for foreign occupation(good and bad). Going by what you have said, about 300 years ago the golden age of the Muslims ended. Could it be that the mainstream of the Muslim population held steadfastly to their beliefs, while others in the population discovered that pork tastes good, kneeling toward that big cube fives times a day wasn't necessary since God knows everything anyway, and that one wife per man seemed like a good, fair, and noble idea? The mainstream saw this and became big isolationists. When they became isolationists, and they hurt their own advancement chances. This caused a cascade affect that made them even more resentful toward foreigners. They saw how America, a non-Muslim country was doing fine without Islam. They were resentful that their great way of life wasn't so great. As it turns out America started on a good moral foundation in people like the 1620 Pilgrams, but soon unscrupulous people mingled among us generating evils like slavery and elitism in America. We have overcome many of those evils to have new ones like, being very, very, very wealthy, fornication and basically any kind of sex that is improper, just to name a few. I believe it is time for the world to find common ground on moral conduct and hold fast to it, for once.

HEH.

Ya it's disgustingly uneven! You should see the palaces in some Persian Gulf countries, while the poor are walking the streets begging for food.

God has promised us, that as long as we stick by the teachings of the Qur'an, He will bless us. As soon as we deviate, He will try us.

And this is EXACTLY what is happening. The Qur'an no longer holds the centrality it historically did in Muslims' lives. It is now a mere poem to be read at family gatherings. Lessons and message unheard! So for the past 300 years or so, our empires have been decling because of a detachment from the Qur'an.

That is why WE KNOW we have an internal problem to resolve with the fundementalists, and WE KNOW we have stupid rules wasting our wealth and resources for worldly gain. Well at least a small portion of us are starting to be fully aware of the situation. Praise God.

I'm proud of my culture because I've discovered its history recently. Just like you, i thought we were always the under dogs of the world. But apparently, the Muslims held quite a place in world affairs for a long long time.

Myself and other Muslims are working hard to awaken our brothers to Islam, and cleanse it from the abominations festering within it.

Christianity is ailing from a lack of faith and growing atheism amongst its ranks.

Islam is ailing from growing extremism and alienation from its fellow religions.

Truely, the Arabs are back to the chaos and hateful state they were in when Muhammad first came to us. The time of "Ignorance" as we call it. Maybe we will have our Renaissance soon! Renaissance to God.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

mo.mentum

[One God]
Aug 9, 2003
Montreal
✟16,445.00
Faith
Muslim
dan67 said:
Could it be that the mainstream of the Muslim population held steadfastly to their beliefs, while others in the population discovered that pork tastes good, kneeling toward that big cube fives times a day wasn't necessary since God knows everything anyway, and that one wife per man seemed like a good, fair, and noble idea?
Hahaha. Funny hehe. Hmmm interesting though. I don't think that's what happened. See, the practices stayed, but the understanding of the values is what disappeared.

So all Muslims, secular or religious, didn't start eating pork, didn't starting drinking. The religious ones kept doing their prayers with no problem. But it was all for outward show, the form became more important than the substance. That is what I mean by "we lost our Way".

The five daily prayers serve an important purpose in bringing the servant closer to His Lord. And to also have a break from the fast pace life of this world. Give 2 minutes, 5 times a day to God, so you bring peace into your heart. It's not about God knowing what you do.

The four wives thing was never practiced. Only kings and princes really did it, because 1) you had to be able to afford having more than 1 wife, 2) you had to treat all equally, 3) you had to love all equally. All these are quite big prerequisites to meet. Can you love 4 women equally and treat them the same? Each in her own house? No... It's not practiced nor is it really allowed. (another misconception about Islam)

The mainstream saw this and became big isolationists. When they became isolationists, and they hurt their own advancement chances. This caused a cascade affect that made them even more resentful toward foreigners. They saw how America, a non-Muslim country was doing fine without Islam. They were resentful that their great way of life wasn't so great.
YOu have some truth here actually. Alot of Muslims started themselves blaming Islam for their backwardness, instead of blaming themselves. Their lands were being invaded one by one, their leaders were dying, empires crumbling. Despite the fact that Islam is what made Muslims so powerful until the 18th century, they started copying the European model of secularism. And things got much worse from that point on, because secularism isn't for every culture.

The seat of the Ottoman Empire was in Turkey! Now Turky is a completely secular country which has even changed the alphabet they use from Arab script to Latin script after WW1.

Now we're finding out that Islam wasn't the problem all along, but our lack of applying its essence. Forget the rules and regulations. Islam has 5 pillars:
1. belief in One God as the only Sovereign in the Universe
2. 5 daily prayers to bring the servant close to His Lord
3. Fasting during Ramadan from day break to sunset to purify the mind and soul from all worldly wants and needs.
4. Giving Alms to the poor to ensure that wealth doesn't get concentrated at the top.
5. Making the pilgrimmage to Mecca at least once in a Muslims lifetime, if he can afford it.

This is the basis and eveyrthing else can be reexamined and restablished. Or "modernized".

We have overcome many of those evils to have new ones like, being very, very, very wealthy, fornication and basically any kind of sex that is improper, just to name a few. I believe it is time for the world to find common ground on moral conduct and hold fast to it, for once.
God tells us to hold fast to His Rope, all of us!

Upvote 0