Islam question: "mulk"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, just a quick question for my Muslim brothers- In studying a commentary on the Qur'an, I came across a reference stating that we are in the "Mulk of Sulaiman". I can find no explanation for this term that makes sense to me, so I wondered if anyone here could help? Is it perchance a reference to King Solomon in the Judaic tradition, or is my guess far off? The whole paragraph is a bit confusing, between the unknown term and somewhat broken English throughout.

DailyBlessings

Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah, I thought it would be something along those lines, thank you. But what does the author mean by saying: "we are in the mulk of Sulaiman, which the evil ones denied, belied, and even turned to blasphemy"? Does Solomon's kingdom just mean inheritors of his wisdom, or is something more tangible being implied?

Upvote 0

Raul7

Feb 12, 2007
✟15,623.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Ah, I thought it would be something along those lines, thank you. But what does the author mean by saying: "we are in the mulk of Sulaiman, which the evil ones denied, belied, and even turned to blasphemy"? Does Solomon's kingdom just mean inheritors of his wisdom, or is something more tangible being implied?

Please refer to the verse and I will look it up. :)

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please refer to the verse and I will look it up. :)
I'm afraid it is not a verse, but a portion of the preface to Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation and commentary on the Qur'an. I am clearer now however, having read on a few more paragraphs where the author refers to Q.ii.102, which concerns Solomon: He draws an analogy, I think, between those who accused Solomon in his wisdom of dabbling in magic and untrue faith, and those who make similar claims against those who draw their wisdom from the Qur'an.

They followed what the evil ones gave out (falsely) against the power of Solomon: The blasphemers were, not Solomon, but the evil ones, teaching men into their hearts (of the taint) of the Calf because of their Faithlessness. Say: "Vile indeed are the behests of your Faith if ye have any faith!"

Thank you, both, for your assistance!

Upvote 0

Oxy2Hydr0

Senior Veteran
May 23, 2005
Boca Raton, Florida
✟17,633.00
Faith
Muslim
DailyBlessings said:
Hi, just a quick question for my Muslim brothers- In studying a commentary on the Qur'an, I came across a reference stating that we are in the "Mulk of Sulaiman". I can find no explanation for this term that makes sense to me, so I wondered if anyone here could help? Is it perchance a reference to King Solomon in the Judaic tradition, or is my guess far off? The whole paragraph is a bit confusing, between the unknown term and somewhat broken English throughout.

The Arabic word "Mulk" in general means kingdom, dominion, or reign However the Quran uses this word is a much more vast context with use of the definite article. In the Quran it means authority. or to have power over something.

Sulaiman had command over the wind animals and Jinns. THis was defined as "al-mulk"

A pagan king whom was granted the ability to raise the dead and he used this power to rule over others is called "al-mulk"

So as we learn in the Quran that "al-mulk" not only means "The Sovereignty" but also expresses having command over the forces of nature.

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Arabic word "Mulk" in general means kingdom, dominion, or reign However the Quran uses this word is a much more vast context with use of the definite article. In the Quran it means authority. or to have power over something.

Sulaiman had command over the wind animals and Jinns. THis was defined as "al-mulk"

A pagan king whom was granted the ability to raise the dead and he used this power to rule over others is called "al-mulk"

So as we learn in the Quran that "al-mulk" not only means "The Sovereignty" but also expresses having command over the forces of nature.
Oh, that is very helpful! Thank you!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.