Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟10,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
[This] reinforces my original assertion that every religion starts out as cult.

Agreed! :)

Indeed, the definition of "cult" I generally use (without meaning it as in any way a put-down) is any group with a still-living founder.

Regards,

Bruce

Upvote 0

Illuminaughty

Drift and Doubt
May 18, 2012
✟13,109.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Islam is pagan only in the same sense and to the same degree that Judaism and Christianity are. Both have incorporated older pagan myths from the Sumerians, Canaanites, Egyptians, and other sources. I'm not sure if calling them pagan without some major qualifiers would be right though.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Islam is pagan only in the same sense and to the same degree that Judaism and Christianity are. Both have incorporated older pagan myths from the Sumerians, Canaanites, Egyptians, and other sources. I'm not sure if calling them pagan without some major qualifiers would be right though.

True enough, however most of the myths found in the Qur'an were taken from the Bible. Personally I think it is perfectly appropriate for Prophets to use stories from the past to make points in the present.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟728,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Agreed.

The fact is that humanity does not exist in an ideological vacuum, and our ideas don't arise ex nihilo. Even as a religious person who believes in a revelator God, I don't believe that God is generally working from the outside of human experience, but reveals and works from within it--it would otherwise be incomprehensible nothing to us.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: smaneck
Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Agreed.

The fact is that humanity does not exist in an ideological vacuum, and our ideas don't arise ex nihilo. Even as a religious person who believes in a revelator God, I don't believe that God is generally working from the outside of human experience, but reveals and works from within it--it would otherwise be incomprehensible nothing to us.

-CryptoLutheran

Makes sense to me.

Though I think people like to pretend we all operate in an ideological vacuum so they can make their us vs. them distinctions much clearer. Just my thought.

Upvote 0