Jun 27, 2003
Siloam Springs, AR
Visit site
✟8,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
. . . and what you are mentioning here is very interesting. The fact that the Germanic (barbarians, as referred to by Rome) tribes saw weakness, were warlike and invaded Rome is key to why they became Christian! Rome was not proactive in taking the Gospel to all the nations, though Rome was the Christian empire. Thus, the nations came to Rome! in order that they may be exposed to the Gospel and worship the Lord.

Now, it wasn't (if I can be more specific here) the Germanic tribes that influenced Roman Christianity to dive into the Crusades so much as the Vikings, the Scandinavians. The Germanic tribes, the barbarians, had a repsect for the church and actually left alone the religious structures as they made their way through the empire.

The Vikings were much more ruthless. They did not let the churches alone but burned them on their raids, and even targeted monastaries as they had accrued a vast amount of wealth (another discussion for another time). However, the friars and wenches (christian girls) the Vikings took back to Scaninavia with them led the Vikings to Christ! (Again, the Vikings went to the Gospel) They married the girls and their new wives modeled and shared Christ with them.

Eventually a Viking became pope (Urban II sounds right, as Noelle said, but don't quote me on that). And it was at this time that the Crusades were sanctioned, promoted.

solomon said:
Nobody could really argue that the germanic tribes of Western Christiandom were a tame and highly cultured group of people. Nietchze was undoubtedly pleased. These people that eventually became Christian loved their private wars of raping and pillaging. And while most historians would agree that Christianity did have a civilizing effect on these tribes, initially the effect was little more than limiting their wars to days that did not fall on the Sabbath or the increasing number of feast days. Even many of the early bishops interpreted prohibitions against drawing blood by switching from swords to maces in their battles. The usual tactic was to swoop down on another nobleman's manor and destroy the crops and the nobleman's serfs, therby making it very difficult for the enemy mobleman to survive the winter without needed food and supplies that their serfs would provide. . . . .

Upvote 0

ElElohe

A humble Resistentialist
Jun 27, 2003
Siloam Springs, AR
Visit site
✟8,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Solomon was asking for citation of sources, and that is a good request regarding the above post.

Most of the information comes from an anthology titled Perspectives on the World Christian Movement, available at most online bookstores. This is used for the class of the same title, offered all across America (www.perspectives.org).

Upvote 0

oldrooster

Thank You Jerry
Apr 4, 2004
Salt lake City, Utah
✟8,141.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Islam is the current version of nazism, the freeworld found it intolerable to co-exist with the nazis, we are finding out that it is impossible to co-exist with the moslems. I for one am sick of their campaign to show what peace loving people they are. All I have to do is turn on my tv to watch women & children with bombs strapped to themselves to blow up Israli citizens, to find out what kind of people they are.

Upvote 0

oldrooster

Thank You Jerry
Apr 4, 2004
Salt lake City, Utah
✟8,141.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Kelly said:
Interesting how Islam's views of Jesus automatically negate it's believers from salvation. They believe that Jesus was not God/Son of God and they also do not believe he died on the cross (but was taken up to heaven).

Satan is a mimicker.

2 Cor 11:14
And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

He wants to be God

Isa 14:13
You said in your heart,
"I will ascend to heaven;
I will raise my throne
above the stars of God;
I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly"

I think it's his attempt at religion.

As a side note..I wonder how God feels when he sees masses of people, praying 5 times a day, in unison. When he sees people who are willing to die for their beliefs, who move to defend others of their faith no matter what the cost. Not saying this is in line with our scriptures, but the devotion.... compare that to the Christian who makes it to church maybe once a month, or on Christmas eve and Easter Sunday.
The SS were quite a bit like that, I wonder how God feels about them.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
there is something quite miltaristic about seeing masses of men prostrating themselves in unison in such an orderly fashion. With the separation of the sexes during prayer, and the fear of speaking contrary to the position of the Islamic leadership that is so apparent when listening to Moslems talk about their religion, the comparison of Islam with the Nazi military machine does seem to be an aprt one.

Upvote 0

Grunt

Physics > *
Apr 6, 2004
Daytona Beach FL
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm nowhere near an expert on the Koran, but as I recall it says people should not be forced to convert to Islam, but it does say that all the world should live under the rule of islam.

Whether my memory is correct or not, "moderate" muslims certainly need to find their voice- if they exist.

Upvote 0

messageport

Oct 9, 2003
Colorado
✟142.00
Faith
Protestant
Free to Choose Petition

Barnabas Fund believes it is the basic human right of all to change their faith if they wish. Articles 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights respectively affirm the right of the individual to “change” their religion and to “adopt” a religion of their choice without fear of persecution. Barnabas Fund is calling on all those who believe that “Muslims who choose to convert to another faith should be free to do so without having to face a lifetime of fear” to sign the petition in support of their rights.

http://www.barnabasfund.org/Apostasy/petition.htm

Upvote 0

ElElohe

A humble Resistentialist
Jun 27, 2003
Siloam Springs, AR
Visit site
✟8,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually the Quran promotes both a peaceful and warlike conversion. Once Muhammed (sp?) saw the Christians and Jews weren't going to convert to his new religion, he decided to kill them if they wouldn't convert.

that one guy said:
On the ball BR!

The difference between Islam and Christianity: Islam promotes conversion by violence, Chrisitanity promotes mercy and witnessing through love.

God's wrath is plenty for those who do not believe.

Let's not turn this into a "Well Christians shouldn't be in the military then!" conversation.

And I'm willin to bet my cinnamon roll that Mr. negativity up there isn't a Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ElElohe

A humble Resistentialist
Jun 27, 2003
Siloam Springs, AR
Visit site
✟8,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I learned something recently about Islam; actually, I'd have to say that I recently learned about Islam.

Love is regarded mostly highly in Scripture . . .

angelstarlette said:
Perhaps instead of pointing fingers Christians should acknowledge that love is the ultimate answer to peace.
. . . but don't expect peace from Islam on account of it, unless Muslims begin to seek and live for Isa (Jesus) and accept Him as savior.

Muslims count Abraham a prophet, and know that God promised him the promised land, to His ancestors. In that culture, the firstborn always got the birthright--save for deception such as with Jacob and Esau. Isaac was not Abraham's firstborn, Ishmael was (in that culture it was also "OK" for a wife to give her husband to a maid to bear a child). Ishmael, correct me if I'm wrong on this point, is considered the first Arab? or Muslim.

Thus the Arabs believe they have the right to the middle east.

Further, there is in Islam what is called the "Doctrine of Deception." A lot of Muslims may not know about this, but will practice it. This is why a peace accord is meaningless when made with a lot of Muslims.

However, there are a number of Muslims, in fact it may be the majority, that are the equivelant of lukewarm Christians. Most Muslims don't know Arabic, though that is what the Quran is read in.

See: A CD, by Archie Hensley, provides many valuable resources, some of which are more foundational than on "The World of Islam." This CD is free of charge. Write to Missions by Modem International, P.O. Box 71776, Madison Heights, MI 48071. (http://home.christianity.com/ministries/intothyword/8173.html)

Upvote 0

ElElohe

A humble Resistentialist
Jun 27, 2003
Siloam Springs, AR
Visit site
✟8,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the book of James defines true religion for us. It says those who help the poor and widows practice "true" religion . . .

Geoff_Conn said:
Christainity is'nt a religion.

Religion is standing @ the door of the cross, christainity is being on the cross.
Oops; I already posted this response. Pardon my redundancy:idea:

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have a Co-Worker who is Muslim. She is the most spiritual person I know next to my mom, my pastor, Glenn, Vicki, Martha, & Josh, our youth group director. Praise God for her faith! However, I wish she were Christian, but it is her choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thirsty

May 15, 2004
Fort McMurray,Alberta
✟8,652.00
Faith
Pentecostal
ANSWERS said:
I have decided to convert into another religion, so i am proud to announce that i will no longer reply as a christian. I have deeply found some people offending and some people have posted in the wrong comments about other peoples religion just to make there own religion stronger.
Follow Christ not the religion.

Upvote 0

thirsty

May 15, 2004
Fort McMurray,Alberta
✟8,652.00
Faith
Pentecostal
ANSWERS said:
Hi I'm New And I Just Wanted To Say That Some People Are Just Pointing Out The Negative Things About Islam, I've Read The Quran Islam Is About Peace Not Blood. You May Actually Find That What Science Has Revealed Today Was Revealed 14 Hundred Years Ago In The Quran.
According To The Bible I Have Found That Some Things Are Unscientific, For Instance The Bible States That The Vegetation Was Created Before The Sun.
And If You Read The Bible You May Find That Jesus Christ Did Not Claim Divinity So How Can He Be God.
There Are So Many Question's I Have I Am Deeply Looking In To Different Kind's Of Religion.
You are being mislead and lied to. There is only one way to the Father and that is through the Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

thirsty

May 15, 2004
Fort McMurray,Alberta
✟8,652.00
Faith
Pentecostal
ANSWERS said:
answer this:
1. where does it say in the qu'ran and haddith that muhammad wanted to kill the Christians, please quote, and if so what was the reason, please quote.
2. if muhammad wanted to kill the Christians, then why did he show his people the Quan in which it say's that do not kill innocent people and that there is a place in heaven for Christians.
3.did you know that muhammad met addas the christian, how come muhammad did not kill him?
4. did you know that some people twist the words of the Quran?
Are you aware of what the Quarn says Isa will do in the future?
Do you know what poll tax is?
Do you know what must happen to someone who will not convert to Islam?
Do you know what a woman is considered in to a Muslim male?
Have you ever read what Khurrah Murad wants for western society?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.