Status
Not open for further replies.

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
It's a dispute about the Law, therefore it's unprofitable and worthless, just like Titus 3 says.

But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and strife and disputes about the Law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

I am not saying that you should not keep the Sabbath. So if you think it is foolish and worthless, then perhaps you should stop posting against it. I happen to think that it is worth talking about.

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Symes, what is your interpretation of the word "law" in this passage from Romans?

"But now we are released from the law, dead to what held us captive, so that we may serve in the newness of the spirit and not under the obsolete letter."

Romans 6:14-16

"14For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

Slaves to Righteousness

15What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey--whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?"

Does God want us to keep sinning because we are not under the law. Of course not, Paul says so.

The law as a means of salvation is a big No NO.. I do not say it, the Bible does not say it. But God's ten commandments are not done away with.

Upvote 0

BrightCandle

Sep 2, 2003
Washington, USA.
✟4,860.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Andre:

Don't you see that when Jesus came to this earth and lived His perfect life, free from sin, therefore He never broke the Ten Commandments. He set us an example and has promised us the power to do the same. That is why he said, "be ye perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect." Eternal death is, and was, the penalty for the continual premeditated transgression of God's law. Jesus paid that price for you and me, at an infinite cost. But not for us to then accept the gift of eterna,l and then turn away and continue to transgress his holy law, the Ten Commandments. That doesn't make sense, and only leads to lawlessness, and backsliding. Sanctification is the process of cooperating with Jesus and letting Him restore us to our original God like character before sin damaged the human race. Paul understood this, and that is why he said in Romans 6:1-2 "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?. . . ". John understood this principle as well, when he said in I John 3:4-6, "Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; on one who keeps on sinning has neither seen him or known him."

Brooks

Upvote 0

Andre

Bondservent of Christ
Oct 25, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
✟1,847.00
Faith
Baptist
Symes said:
Andre

Without the law none of us would know what sin was. That does not mean the law will save rather that our sinful self will be seen in its true light.

No law-No sin.
But now that we are saved and have the presence of th eHoly Spirit in us we don't need the law anymore to show us our sins, the Holy Spirit does that.

Galatians 3

24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.
25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Ephesians 1

13 In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,
14 who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory.

Upvote 0

Andre

Bondservent of Christ
Oct 25, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
✟1,847.00
Faith
Baptist
BrightCandle said:
Andre:

Don't you see that when Jesus came to this earth and lived His perfect life, free from sin, therefore He never broke the Ten Commandments. He set us an example and has promised us the power to do the same. That is why he said, "be ye perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect." Eternal death is, and was, the penalty for the continual premeditated transgression of God's law. Jesus paid that price for you and me, at an infinite cost. But not for us to then accept the gift of eterna,l and then turn away and continue to transgress his holy law, the Ten Commandments. That doesn't make sense, and only leads to lawlessness, and backsliding. Sanctification is the process of cooperating with Jesus and letting Him restore us to our original God like character before sin damaged the human race. Paul understood this, and that is why he said in Romans 6:1-2 "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?. . . ". John understood this principle as well, when he said in I John 3:4-6, "Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness. You know that he appeared to take away sins, and in him there is no sin. No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; on one who keeps on sinning has neither seen him or known him."

Brooks
His holy Law is not limited to the Ten Comandments, Jesus didn't live His life by the Ten Comandments only, He lived it under the whole Law, He didn't even had to look at the Ten Comandments because they are all included in the Law of Moses.

Is homosexuality a sin? It's not in the Ten Comandments.
Is hate a sin? It's not in the Ten Comandments.

There's way more sins than those in the Ten Comandments and we are not to limit the way we live to them.

Upvote 0

Andre

Bondservent of Christ
Oct 25, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
✟1,847.00
Faith
Baptist
Everytime the Bible mentions that we are not under the Law you guys conviniently say that those are the Levitical Laws, everytime Jesus says keep my comandments you guys conviniently say He means the Ten Comandments, everytime the Bible says that the Law will not pass away you guys place the Ten Comandments there, amazing...

Matthew 5
18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Did God write the Ten Comandments with a pen?

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
Everytime the Bible mentions that we are not under the Law you guys conviniently say that those are the Levitical Laws, everytime Jesus says keep my comandments you guys conviniently say He means the Ten Comandments, everytime the Bible says that the Law will not pass away you guys place the Ten Comandments there, amazing...

Not at all, we are not under the law as a means of salvation. Then Paul says do we now sin, then he says NO.

"14For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.

Slaves to Righteousness

15What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey--whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?"

Paul has not done away with the law. We are slaves to sin or righteousness.

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
I never said we should sin because we are not under the Law.
The Law is there to reveal our sin (not only the Ten Comandments, all of the Law).
That is what I have been saying all the time. The law reveals to us what is sin. They have not been done away with. The ten commandments are true and just.

The only law that has been done away with is what was fulfilled on the cross. The sacrificial or ceremonial law of sacrifices.

Without the law, there is no sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kel32

Christian Warrior
Jul 4, 2003
Canada
✟716.00
Faith
Christian
Symes said:

Slaves to Righteousness

Does God want us to keep sinning because we are not under the law. Of course not, Paul says so.

The law as a means of salvation is a big No NO.. I do not say it, the Bible does not say it. But God's ten commandments are not done away with.
"But now we are released from the law, dead to what held us captive, so that we may serve in the newness of the spirit and not under the obsolete letter." Romans 7:6

So, now we are released from the law...let's go to the next passage to find out exactly what law we are released from...

"What then can we say? That the law is sin? Of course not! Yet I did not know sin except through the law, and I did not know what it is to covet except that the law said, "You shall not covet." Romans 7:7

We see here that the law Paul is referring to contains the words "you shall not covet"....hmmmm...what law is it that says this? Could it be the ten commandments? interesting...

Paul is saying that the old law was not useless; it showed everyone what sin was. But it is gone...

"When there is a change of priesthood, there is necessarily a change of law as well." Hebrews 7:12

The ten commandments are thus no more; and the new law is now written on our hearts. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:30-31

~peace~

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
"But now we are released from the law, dead to what held us captive, so that we may serve in the newness of the spirit and not under the obsolete letter." Romans 7:6

So, now we are released from the law...let's go to the next passage to find out exactly what law we are released from...

"What then can we say? That the law is sin? Of course not! Yet I did not know sin except through the law, and I did not know what it is to covet except that the law said, "You shall not covet." Romans 7:7

We see here that the law Paul is referring to contains the words "you shall not covet"....hmmmm...what law is it that says this? Could it be the ten commandments? interesting...

Paul is saying that the old law was not useless; it showed everyone what sin was. But it is gone...

"When there is a change of priesthood, there is necessarily a change of law as well." Hebrews 7:12

The ten commandments are thus no more; and the new law is now written on our hearts. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." Mark 12:30-31

All very interesting but all very wrong. Nothing to do with the ten commandments being done away with. In fact you quote part of the verse to prove your point that does not prove your point at all.

Paul is quoting part of the ten to show ua that they have not been done away with.

As this commandment is still there it shows then that the other nine are still there not to be done away with at all as you suggest.

Upvote 0

kel32

Christian Warrior
Jul 4, 2003
Canada
✟716.00
Faith
Christian
Symes said:
All very interesting but all very wrong. Nothing to do with the ten commandments being done away with. In fact you quote part of the verse to prove your point that does not prove your point at all.

Paul is quoting part of the ten to show ua that they have not been done away with.

As this commandment is still there it shows then that the other nine are still there not to be done away with at all as you suggest.
Ah, but I believe you are interpreting this wrongly yourself. Paul is quoting one of the ten commandments to show us that they are part of the law. The same law that he is referring to which is now done away with. I don't see how I can make this more clear. He is though saying that there was a purpose for the commandments - to show us what sin was.

~peace~

Reactions: Andre
Upvote 0

kel32

Christian Warrior
Jul 4, 2003
Canada
✟716.00
Faith
Christian
Symes,

"There was nothing in the ark but the two stone tablets which Moses had put there at Horeb, when the LORD made a covenant with the Israelites at their departure from the land of Egypt." 1 Kings 8:9

"It will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers the day I took them by the hand to lead them forth from the land of Egypt; for they broke my covenant and I had to show myself their master, says the LORD. But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD. I will place my law within them, and write it upon their hearts; I will be their God, and they shall be my people." Jeremiah 31:31-32

So, are you saying that when God says "it will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers" you interpet this to be that it will be the same covenant? Except that it will be written on their hearts? That's really stretching it. :)

~peace~

Upvote 0

Symes

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
✟2,069.00
Faith
Christian
So, are you saying that when God says "it will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers" you interpet this to be that it will be the same covenant? Except that it will be written on their hearts? That's really stretching it
The covenant made at Sinai, the Children of Israel said they would keep it by themselves, without having God give them the power vto do so.

"All that the Lord has said we will do"

It was by themselves.

The new covenant God was going to make with them, which was the everlasting covenant made with Abraham was the laws would be written in their hearts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andre

Bondservent of Christ
Oct 25, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
✟1,847.00
Faith
Baptist
kel32 said:
Symes,

"There was nothing in the ark but the two stone tablets which Moses had put there at Horeb, when the LORD made a covenant with the Israelites at their departure from the land of Egypt." 1 Kings 8:9

"It will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers the day I took them by the hand to lead them forth from the land of Egypt; for they broke my covenant and I had to show myself their master, says the LORD. But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD. I will place my law within them, and write it upon their hearts; I will be their God, and they shall be my people." Jeremiah 31:31-32

So, are you saying that when God says "it will not be like the covenant I made with their fathers" you interpet this to be that it will be the same covenant? Except that it will be written on their hearts? That's really stretching it. :)

~peace~
Discuss doctrine with an SDA and you see what streching is...:sigh:

Upvote 0

Curt

Curt
Jan 26, 2004
Puyallup, Washington
✟792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It's pretty sad to see the efforts the deceived will go to in order to support their false doctrines. The 58th Chapter is addressing people who seek God to support them in there total disobedience and are foolish enough to think that he will and it has absolutely nothing to do with the day of the sabaath. All the law, and the prophets hang on two commandments love God,and your neighbor. And Jesus fulfilled the law of doing to gain salvation, set us free of santans lordship of our lives to choose who we will serve. He also set us free from honoring the Sabaath on a prescribed day, and included selection of the day we will honor it in our freewill choice. It without doubt help the proclaimers of private interpretation to stick to what The Scriptures say in regards to the issue, and ignore and doctrines from any source that can not be substantiated by the total of Scripture.

Reactions: Andre
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.