Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors."

What a tremendous chapter of God's Word! :)

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sure is! Also a comforting chapter to read about our Lord Jesus Christ! He endured everything for us, more than what any of us can ever imagine! And because of this; We can be sure of He understands us the most when we go through trials and tribulations here on earth. And He comforts and strenghtens us!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It sure is! Also a comforting chapter to read about our Lord Jesus Christ! He endured everything for us, more than what any of us can ever imagine! And because of this; We can be sure of He understands us the most when we go through trials and tribulations here on earth. And He comforts and strenghtens us!
Indeed.

The theme of God's suffering Servant can be traced through into the New Testament, with Philippians 2.5-11 bringing out the glorious fact that the Lord Jesus Who took upon Him the form of a servant and was obedient unto death, even the death of the Cross; wherefore God also highly exalted Him.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And He comforts and strenghtens us!
PS:

Indeed! and as verse 12 of the chapter says, He 'made intercession for the transgressors'.

Cf. Hebrews 7.25: The Lord Jesus 'ever lives to make intercession' for all who love Him and trust Him.

Romans 8.34: 'Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.'

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus :heartpulse:

Right after I got saved, I didn't understand the Gospel or who Jesus was, and I was constantly being misled by deceitful spirits, away from the Cross. But then I started seeing the number 53 everywhere. EVERYWHERE everywhere. And I googled it, and found Isaiah 53. My whole being screamed THAT'S JESUS!!!!!!!! :) And everything started falling into place. I love that chapter. It reveals to us so much of who Jesus was, how we should view Him from having a foundation in the OT, and His suffering for us. It tells us just how much He took upon Himself. I feel His love for us so strongly in my heart whenever I read this chapter. Thank you for posting it and praise Lord Jesus, the Lamb of God who took our sins upon Himself, justifying us so we can know the Father, giving us freedom in this life and eternal life with Him. Amen. :heartpulse:

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the major thrusts of our "denomination" (if that is the right term) Chosen People Ministries, is a presentation of the Gospel entirely from the Tenach (aka Old testament). Isaiah 53 is one of the key scriptures. It establishes the atoning death and resurrection of our Lord. So much so that many Jewish leaders in the 1800s considered the book to have been written by Christians in the first or 2nd centuries. But a copy from at least 200 bc was found in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Our Jerusalem office says that every week they get several requests for this book in Hebrew:

https://www.isaiah53.com/main/free-book/

isaiah53_explained_image2.jpg

Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors."

What a tremendous chapter of God's Word! :)

I agree! My heart is just filled to overflowing with love, gratitude and humbleness at the absolute unwarranted mercy given to us by our precious Saviour, very God Himself:prayer:

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen :)
What's really very odd for me is that most if not all Jews should know their Messiah personally but unfortunately, even to this day, majority of them still reject the Rock of Ages.
Paul said a partial hardening has occurred until the fullness of Gentiles happens. Then the blinders will be taken off, and as a whole, they will see, understand, and repent; accepting on themselves the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Right after I got saved, I didn't understand the Gospel or who Jesus was, and I was constantly being misled by deceitful spirits, away from the Cross. But then I started seeing the number 53 everywhere. EVERYWHERE everywhere. And I googled it, and found Isaiah 53. My whole being screamed THAT'S JESUS!!!!!!!! :) And everything started falling into place. I love that chapter. It reveals to us so much of who Jesus was, how we should view Him from having a foundation in the OT, and His suffering for us. It tells us just how much He took upon Himself. I feel His love for us so strongly in my heart whenever I read this chapter. Thank you for posting it and praise Lord Jesus, the Lamb of God who took our sins upon Himself, justifying us so we can know the Father, giving us freedom in this life and eternal life with Him. Amen. :heartpulse:
When one's eyes are opened to this wondrous truth concerning the work of the Saviour - already foretold in the Old Testament in such a clear way - the worship of one's heart indeed ascends to God. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Amen :)
What's really very odd for me is that most if not all Jews should know their Messiah personally but unfortunately, even to this day, majority of them still reject the Rock of Ages.
Well, Hebrews 12.2 exhorts us to keep 'looking unto Jesus'. So much of Christ and His Work is already there clearly seen in the Old Testament, as in this passage of Isaiah, for example. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree! My heart is just filled to overflowing with love, gratitude and humbleness at the absolute unwarranted mercy given to us by our precious Saviour, very God Himself:prayer:
Amen! and Isaiah 53 is among the clearest of descriptions of the sufferings of Christ for us at the Cross, foretold hundreds of years before it all happened in the purposes of God.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Just looking at the name of "Jesus Christ" is touching to one's heart, it is just so powerful!

• Winner
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Just looking at the name of "Jesus Christ" is touching to one's heart, it is just so powerful!
Yes! Because His Name, given to Him by the Father, is the Name above all other names, and in it is authority over all the Heavens and the Earth, and everything in it. And it is so beautiful!

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes! Because His Name, given to Him by the Father, is the Name above all other names, and in it is authority over all the Heavens and the Earth, and everything in it. And it is so beautiful!

And also a reason for why the devil and the demons can't handle His name so well!? ;)They don't like it, they tremble by the mention and by the power there is in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ! :holy:

• Winner
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
And also a reason for why the devil and the demons can't handle His name so well!? ;)They don't like it, they tremble by the mention and by the power there is in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ! :holy:
Yep! Exactly! Amen! :amen:
And they have to bow down to His Name, and obey His authority, so they flee from it if spoken in faith and in Christ. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 53 is a good example of what Peter meant about the prophets testifying to the sufferings of Christ:

"Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:

Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow." (1 Peter 1.10-11)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul said a partial hardening has occurred until the fullness of Gentiles happens. Then the blinders will be taken off, and as a whole, they will see, understand, and repent; accepting on themselves the New Covenant.
Yes, even in the New Testament, I see a distinction between Israel and the church; Israel, though currently in unbelief, clearly has a future.

'Our' in Isaiah 53.1 refers in the context to Israel, not the church (although the church certainly can use it in application).

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 53 is a good example of what Peter meant about the prophets testifying to the sufferings of Christ:
And Paul saying that the gospel was:

1 Cor 15.1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,​

The only scriptures in existence at that point was the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And Paul saying that the gospel was:

1 Cor 15.1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,​

The only scriptures in existence at that point was the Old Testament.
The sufferings of Christ HAD to happen, as foretold, in the purposes of God.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0