May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
You are the one judging Scripture, making judgements that no ancient Jew would agree with. You are trying to say that Ecclesiastes belongs with the Books of the Prophets. You still haven't provided a single prophetic text from any of the 12 chapters of the Book nor can you. The book is all Solomon who speaks his own words. There is not a trace of Divine revelation throughout the Book. Its a Book of wisdom and there to guide readers of Solomon's time to the truth and knowledge of God which is found in the Law. The Law of Moses is Divine revelation.

All I've said is that the book is scripture. Don't you go twisting my words the same way you do those verses.

And when you say things like this: "The book is all Solomon who speaks his own words. There is not a trace of Divine revelation throughout the Book." Rest assured, you are setting yourself as judge over the scriptures. Not an enviable position to be in when you have to give an account for your life. You may want to consider Job 40:8 in these actions you seem to take so lightly.

Besides, Jesus described the Wisdom of God as from the blood of Able to the blood of Zechariah, which was in that day the canon of scripture from Genesis to 2 Chronicles (the last book in the way they sorted the scriptures at that time). That would include Ecclesiastes.

Reactions: T. Taylor
Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
I was gonna say funny. (No offense. :))
Oh, it’s both.

latest

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
All I've said is that the book is scripture. Don't you go twisting my words the same way you do those verses.

And when you say things like this: "The book is all Solomon who speaks his own words. There is not a trace of Divine revelation throughout the Book." Rest assured, you are setting yourself as judge over the scriptures. Not an enviable position to be in when you have to give an account for your life. You may want to consider Job 40:8 in these actions you seem to take so lightly.

Besides, Jesus described the Wisdom of God as from the blood of Able to the blood of Zechariah, which was in that day the canon of scripture from Genesis to 2 Chronicles (the last book in the way they sorted the scriptures at that time). That would include Ecclesiastes.
Please show me the revelation in Ecclesiastes

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This tells me All I need to know about you and what you believe.

It Also shows your Lack Of Respect for The Bible.
A lack of respect for the Bible is trying to claim Ecclesiastes is a Book of prophecy when Solomon himself makes clear its not, nor did the Jews even call it a Book of prophecy. Its not God speaking in Ecclesiastes. Its Solomon. You can get a KJV Sword Study Bible and no red words in the entire Book. Nor does Solomon ever speak prophecy in the Book. Its a Book of wisdom which comes to a very true conclusion.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A lack of respect for the Bible is trying to claim Ecclesiastes is a Book of prophecy when Solomon himself makes clear its not, nor did the Jews even call it a Book of prophecy. Its not God speaking in Ecclesiastes. Its Solomon. You can get a KJV Sword Study Bible and no red words in the entire Book. Nor does Solomon ever speak prophecy in the Book. Its a Book of wisdom which comes to a very true conclusion.

It's Holy Scripture / Thread

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So, no coherent response to what I said. Nice deflection attempt however.
So you can't answer the question and now you want to call my question to you a deflection. Sorry to burst your bubble but you are arguing an issue that you very clearly have no understanding about.

The Book of Ecclesiastes is attributed to Solomon. I've read the Book three times. It deals with tough issues that we face in any age and time, making Ecclesiastes a work of timeless wisdom. Solomon was indeed the wisest king in Israel. But he was not God nor is his personal journal of his life's journey which contains his observations of life a Book of prophecy. The Book of Easter never once mentions God but its still a timeless piece of Jewish history. Not all Books in the Bible are Books of prophecy. But you want to believe Ecclesiastes is a Book of prophecy and it isn't. Granted, Solomon had the gift of wisdom but Solomon was not God nor did he live a righteous life throughout his reign as king. He fell into idolatry during his reign as king. Solomon was not perfect as nobody is perfect. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. But you want to pretend that Solomon is God?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
So you can't answer the question and now you want to call my question to you a deflection. Sorry to burst your bubble but you are arguing an issue that you very clearly have no understanding about.

The Book of Ecclesiastes is attributed to Solomon. I've read the Book three times. It deals with tough issues that we face in any age and time, making Ecclesiastes a work of timeless wisdom. Solomon was indeed the wisest king in Israel. But he was not God nor is his personal journal of his life's journey which contains his observations of life a Book of prophecy. The Book of Easter never once mentions God but its still a timeless piece of Jewish history. Not all Books in the Bible are Books of prophecy. But you want to believe Ecclesiastes is a Book of prophecy and it isn't. Granted, Solomon had the gift of wisdom but Solomon was not God nor did he live a righteous life throughout his reign as king. He fell into idolatry during his reign as king. Solomon was not perfect as nobody is perfect. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. But you want to pretend that Solomon is God?

For the third time, I didn't say Ecclesiastes was prophecy. I said it was scripture, and I mentioned where Jesus confirmed it.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For the third time, I didn't say Ecclesiastes was prophecy. I said it was scripture, and I mentioned where Jesus confirmed it.
I didn't deny Ecclesiastes as Scripture. You assumed that because you are thinking in extremes. Ester is also Scripture but it is not prophecy. A Book not being prophecy doesn't remove it from being Scripture.

Upvote 0

FEZZILLA

Jun 24, 2003
Wisconsin
✟16,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
CHAP. XXIV.—OF THE ANTIPODES, THE HEAVEN, AND THE STARS.

How is it with those who imagine that there are antipodes opposite to our footsteps? Do they say anything to the purpose? Or is there any one so senseless as to believe that there are men whose footsteps are higher than their heads? or that the things which with us are in a recumbent position, with them hang in an inverted direction? that the crops and trees grow downwards? that the rains, and snow, and hail fall upwards to the earth? And does any one wonder that hanging gardens are mentioned among the seven wonders of the world, when philosophers make hanging fields, and seas, and cities, and mountains? The origin of this error must also be set forth by us. For they are always deceived in the same manner. For when they have assumed anything false in the commencement of their investigations, led by the resemblance of the truth, they necessarily fall into those things which are its consequences. Thus they fall into many ridiculous things; because those things which are in agreement with false things, must themselves be false. But since they placed confidence in the first, they do not consider the character of those things which follow, but defend them in every way; whereas they ought to judge from those which follow, whether the first are true or false. What course of argument, therefore, led them to the idea of the antipodes? They saw the courses of the stars travelling towards the west; they saw that the sun and the moon always set towards the same quarter, and rise from the same. But since they did not perceive what contrivance regulated their courses, nor how they returned from the west to the east, but supposed that the heaven itself sloped downwards in every direction, which appearance it must present on account of its immense breadth, they thought that the world is round like a ball, and they fancied that the heaven revolves in accordance with the motion of the heavenly bodies; and thus that the stars and sun, when they have set, by the very rapidity of the motion of the world are borne back to the east. Therefore they both constructed brazen orbs, as though after the figure of the world, and engraved upon them certain monstrous images, which they said were constellations. It followed, therefore, from this rotundity of the heaven, that the earth was enclosed in the midst of its curved surface. But if this were so, the earth also itself must be like a globe; for that could not possibly be anything but round, which was held enclosed by that which was round. But if the earth also were round, it must necessarily happen that it should present the same appearance to all parts of the heaven; that is, that it should raise aloft mountains, extend plains, and have level seas. And if this were so, that last consequence also followed, that there would be no part of the earth uninhabited by men and the other animals. Thus the rotundity of the earth leads, in addition, to the invention of those suspended antipodes. But if you inquire from those who defend these marvellous fictions, why all things do not fall into that lower part of the heaven, they reply that such is the nature of things, that heavy bodies are borne to the middle, and that they are all joined together towards the middle, as we see spokes in a wheel; but that the bodies which are light, as mist, smoke, and fire, are borne away from the middle, so as to seek the heaven. I am at a loss what to say respecting those who, when they have once erred, consistently persevere in their folly, and defend one vain thing by another; but that I sometimes imagine that they either discuss philosophy for the sake of a jest, or purposely and knowingly undertake to defend falsehoods, as if to exercise or display their talents on false subjects. But I should be able to prove by many arguments that it is impossible for the heaven to be lower than the earth, were is not that this book must now be concluded, and that some things still remain, which are more necessary for the present work. And since it is not the work of a single book to run over the errors of each individually, let it be sufficient to have enumerated a few, from which the nature of the others may be understood.
LACTANTIUS, THE DIVINE INSTITUTES, BOOK III, OF THE FALSE WISDOM OF PHILOSOPHERS, p. 138

CHAP. XXXIX.—OF VARIOUS PHILOSOPHERS, AND OF THE ANTIPODES.
These things, truly, are of small importance, but they arise from the same falsehood. Xenophanes said that the orb of the moon is eighteen times larger than this earth of ours; and that within its compass is contained another earth, which is inhabited by men and animals of every kind. About the antipodes also one can neither hear nor speak without laughter. It is asserted as something serious, that we should believe that there are men who have their feet opposite to ours. The ravings of Anaxagoras are more tolerable, who said that snow was black. And not only the sayings, but the deeds, of some are ridiculous. Democritus neglected his land which was left to him by his father, and suffered it to become a public pasture. Diogenes with his company of dogs, who professes that great and perfect virtue in the contempt of all things, preferred to beg for his support, rather than to seek it by honest labour, or to have any property. Undoubtedly the life of a wise man ought to be to others an example of living. If all should imitate the wisdom of these, how will states exist? But perhaps the same Cynics were able to afford an example of modesty, who lived with their wives in public. I know not how they could defend virtue, who took away modesty.
LACTANTIUS, THE DIVINE INSTITUTES, BOOK III, OF THE FALSE WISDOM OF PHILOSOPHERS, p. 362

That is it for now.
clip_image001.png
clip_image001.png
clip_image001.png
clip_image001.png
;):)
LACTANTIUS was considered a heretic and not even considered one of the major church fathers.

“The ocean, impassable for men, and the worlds beyond it are governed by the same decrees of the Master” (The Ancient Christian Writers series Vol.1. His Epistle To The Corinthians., 20:8).

Origen (185-254 A.D.) explains Clement's comment:

“Clement indeed, a disciple of the apostles, mentions those whom the Greeks call “people of the opposite earth,” and speaks of other parts of the world which none of our people can reach, nor can any of those who live there cross over to us; and these parts themselves he called “worlds,” when he says, “The ocean is impassable to men, and the worlds beyond it are governed by the same ordinances of God the Ruler” (On First Principles, Chapter III verse 6).

Hard to have antipodes on a flat earth!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
No. I am not saying a sphere is being placed in a ball. I think I've made my case very clear about this.
Please address what I wrote, not what you wish I wrote.

Are you claiming that the only thing that can be inside the firmament is a ball?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.