• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Isaiah 38:18

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by Gold fish, May 15, 2019 at 5:14 PM.

1. Gold fish

Gold fish New Member

+52
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    What do you think of
    Isaiah 38:18 King James Version (KJV)
    18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+8,200
    Anabaptist
    Yahuweh repeats that the dead can do nothing from the grave.

This is His Word, in Perfect Harmony with all of His Word, Plan and Purpose in Christ Jesus.

3. Gold fish

Gold fish New Member

+52
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    My translation is different from yours yeshuaslavejeff.Sorry about that.

4. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+4,022
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Dead men tell no tales.

5. Gold fish

Gold fish New Member

+52
    United States
    Christian
    Single

Isaiah 38:18 King James Version (KJV)
    18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth.

yeshuaslavejeff.I thought the grave and the pit were the same.If this is true it's kinda like the person in isaiah 38:18 mentioned the grave two different times.

6. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Well-Known Member

+1,608
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    My translation has "faithfulness" instead of "truth."

In light of where this is taken from (with verse 19), it appears that Hezekiah is saying that the dead are no longer able to hope for God's faithfulness in their salvation from whatever their danger may be in (such as his sickness). Only the living can hope for God's faithfulness, only the living can thank and praise him for it when it comes. There is no point, really, if you are already dead.

It is a call to God to not forget those that trust in him for help, for him to not turn them down who turn to him with faith while they are still in the trial or danger. "Don't let me die hoping that you would deliver me, for while dead I will no longer hope for it anymore..."

Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 12:19 AM
  7. Gold fish

Gold fish New Member

+52
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Why in the kjv does it mention the grave once.And the pit once if they are the same thing?:confused: