this will have the Historicist Only tag to limit discussion
-
the material is from a book by isaac newton published long after he died -
it looks like he was asked to do a commentary on the apocalypse
-but-
never finished it
-so-
the editor simply put his stuff together and published it -
it is sometimes hard to understand and it looks like he changed his mind about some of the stuff he wrote at the beginning of his attempt at a commentary
-
the book
-
Observations upon the Prophecies of Daniel, and the Apocalypse of St. John by Isaac Newton

Upvote 0

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The folly of Interpreters has been, to foretell times and things by this Prophecy, as if God designed to make them Prophets. By this rashness they have not only exposed themselves, but brought the Prophecy also into contempt. The design of God was much otherwise. He gave this and the Prophecies of the Old Testament, not to gratify mens curiosities by enabling them to foreknow things, but that after they were fulfilled they might be interpreted by the event, and his own Providence, not the Interpreters, be then manifested thereby to the world.
-
source: 101sharequotes

Upvote 0

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is already so much of the Prophecy fulfilled, that as many as will take pains in this study, may see sufficient instances of God’s providence: but then the signal revolutions predicted by all the holy Prophets, will at once both turn men’s eyes upon considering the predictions, and plainly interpret them. Till then we must content ourselves with interpreting what hath been already fulfilled. Amongst the Interpreters of the last age there to scarce one of note who hath not made some discovery worth knowing; and thence I seem to gather that God is about opening these mysteries. The success of others put me upon considering it; and if I have done any thing which may be useful to following writers, I have my design.
-
source: 101sharequotes

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am amazed, stunned, overwhelmed by all this material -
I spent 20 years researching the apocalypse -
specifically looking for other views, other interpretations -
-but-
did not come across anything by newton
-until now-
You might really like the book "Temple at the Centre of Time: Newton's Bible Codex Deciphered" by David Flynn. This book has a lot of "wow" moments. Things that make you see the entire world from a new perspective.

Reactions: victorinus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No need for a question .... I already studied Newton's contribution and evaluated his errors long ago
so how did you find newton's contribution? -
for me it was the kindle that keeps track of what I read and suggests similar books that I might be interested in

Upvote 0

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In a sense, but understand that both beasts of Revelation are fallen angels that will do Satan's bidding on the earth during the coming tribulation
we know you won't understand -
you are a futurist -
this is about historicism -
hence the historicist only tag -
do you have a question?

Upvote 0