Is Playing Yugioh a Sin? Is It a Demonic Show?

Nathan98

May 15, 2017
Ontario
✟16,011.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok so I played the Trading Card Game for two years now and finally quit because the game was too unbalanced and only the most expensive cards win games (I kid you knot when I say that people pay a hundred dollars or more for one card). So it's been a year since and now my younger brother and even younger little sister watch the show. They are really addicted to the show and talk about it all the time, which begs the question if Yugioh is an appropriate show to watch? especially since there's many occult themes and summonings, sacrificing, etc.

Bro. Daniel

Prophet & Psalmist
Aug 22, 2017
Eph. 1:4, Ps. 139:15, Jer. 1:5, Virginia, U.S.
✟15,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ok so I played the Trading Card Game for two years now and finally quit because the game was too unbalanced and only the most expensive cards win games (I kid you knot when I say that people pay a hundred dollars or more for one card). So it's been a year since and now my younger brother and even younger little sister watch the show. They are really addicted to the show and talk about it all the time, which begs the question if Yugioh is an appropriate show to watch? especially since there's many occult themes and summonings, sacrificing, etc.

Yes, Yugioh is evil and regrettably no the show is inappropriate at any age level. God said that it will land those in fire if they do not repent. It incites idolatry (because of the addiction and characters to be heroic), it causes contention, strife, debates, ungodly competition, wicked imaginations to sow destruction, witchcraft and evoking of demonic spirits. You'll have to research the history and origin of the characters in these games to find out they are indeed demonic. On a spiritual level, they will get more demons than they bargain for if overexposed for too long.

The devil tricks many into evoking or invoking the names of false gods or demons aloud who are without spiritual discernment or unaware of the realization unfortunately. People forget there are demonic spirits in this world and summoning them unknowingly through card games, video games, watching shows, movies, horror flicks etc. These evil spirits will attach and grow inside of a person causing strange behavior and also curse their lives in the future especially if they're unsaved. Then it will take a lot of deliverance prayers and repentance for said activities and it's not what God really wants for someone to go through to learn a lesson.

Here are some Bible verses and a question to consider, "Does the activity glorify God?"

King James Version:
1 Corinthians 10:31
31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

1 Corinthians 5:6

6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

Psalms 101:3
3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

Matthew 6:22-23
22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

Colossians 3:5-6
5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
6 For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience:

1 Samuel 15:23

23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

Exodus 23:13
13 And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.

Proverbs 6:16-19
16 These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

2 Corinthians 12:20
20 For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults:

Galatians 5:19-21
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Shalom and be blessed,

Bro. Daniel

Upvote 0

Bro. Daniel

Prophet & Psalmist
Aug 22, 2017
✟15,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
it's a card game....I swear, people read into things wayyyyyy too much.

God said come to Him in prayer, lay it before His feet and ask Him to confirm to you.

Shalom and be blessed,

Bro. Daniel

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
God said come to Him in prayer, lay it before His feet and ask Him to confirm to you.

Shalom and be blessed,

Bro. Daniel

That has about as much to do with a card game as feathers does with forging steel.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yes, Yugioh is evil and regrettably no the show is inappropriate at any age level. God said that it will land those in fire if they do not repent.

And this is how you misuse religion in order to turn people away from the grace of God and the Gospel. Well done!

To the OP, no, playing a children's card game is not going to send you to hell.

Whether or not it's right for you to play it or not is entirely up to you, part of our liberty in Christ is that there are lots of things that are a matter of personal conscience. Not everything is inherently good or bad, many things are morally neutral--what toppings you like on pizza, whether or not you should wear jeans or slacks, coffee or tea? and yes, when it comes to innocuous and benign forms of entertainment such as movies, music, television, or games much of it is a matter of your own conscience. If you believe you shouldn't, then don't; but no one here is capable of telling you what to do with these matters, both because we don't know you personally neither are we you.

A good pastor is helpful in matters of spiritual counseling and guidance and is a better person to go to for personal matters, because ideally their training, vocation, and personal knowledge of you gives them both the wisdom and discernment to help point you in the right direction (that of course is also contingent on them being a good pastor). But then a good pastor would probably tell you the same thing I'm saying here--that it's up to you and your conscience.

If something causes you to stumble, then do away with it--but basically only you can know if that's the case. Note that the Lord Jesus says, "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off", but He never says, "If your brother's hand causes him to sin, then cut their hand off." The metaphorical removing of the offending member is directed to you. And learning how to discern these things for ourselves is part of what it means to be growing in our faith, and yes, there will be times when you might have a blind spot and the Church is there to offer guidance (hence, speaking with your pastor); but at the end of the day it's up to you to make these decisions and to abide by your conscience.

Christianity is not a religion built upon a complex system of rule-keeping; it is a religion about Jesus Christ, what He did and what He said; the commands of God are that you love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself, to paraphrase the Jewish rabbi Hillel, "the rest is commentary", or to quote our own Lord Jesus, "upon these two hangs the entire Law and the Prophets".

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bro. Daniel

Prophet & Psalmist
Aug 22, 2017
✟15,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And this is how you misuse religion in order to turn people away from the grace of God and the Gospel. Well done!

To the OP, no, playing a children's card game is not going to send you to hell.

Whether or not it's right for you to play it or not is entirely up to you, part of our liberty in Christ is that there are lots of things that are a matter of personal conscience. Not everything is inherently good or bad, many things are morally neutral--what toppings you like on pizza, whether or not you should wear jeans or slacks, coffee or tea? and yes, when it comes to innocuous and benign forms of entertainment such as movies, music, television, or games much of it is a matter of your own conscience. If you believe you shouldn't, then don't; but no one here is capable of telling you what to do with these matters, both because we don't know you personally neither are we you.

A good pastor is helpful in matters of spiritual counseling and guidance and is a better person to go to for personal matters, because ideally their training, vocation, and personal knowledge of you gives them both the wisdom and discernment to help point you in the right direction (that of course is also contingent on them being a good pastor). But then a good pastor would probably tell you the same thing I'm saying here--that it's up to you and your conscience.

If something causes you to stumble, then do away with it--but basically only you can know if that's the case. Note that the Lord Jesus says, "If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off", but He never says, "If your brother's hand causes him to sin, then cut their hand off." The metaphorical removing of the offending member is directed to you. And learning how to discern these things for ourselves is part of what it means to be growing in our faith, and yes, there will be times when you might have a blind spot and the Church is there to offer guidance (hence, speaking with your pastor); but at the end of the day it's up to you to make these decisions and to abide by your conscience.

Christianity is not a religion built upon a complex system of rule-keeping; it is a religion about Jesus Christ, what He did and what He said; the commands of God are that you love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself, to paraphrase the Jewish rabbi Hillel, "the rest is commentary", or to quote our own Lord Jesus, "upon these two hangs the entire Law and the Prophets".

-CryptoLutheran

I confirmed with God through prayer and used scripture to proclaim the necessary precautions and to give an affirmed answer.

I don't recall using religion of any kind nor affiliated myself with it as you proposed in your post.

If anyone took offense from scripture, then perhaps Ezekiel 3 is necessary as a recourse. If we do not warn someone as God instructed we are held accountable according to Ezekiel 3 and their blood is on our hands. It is called blood guiltiness. This is what we ask God to be forgiven of everyday in our daily walk especially if an assignment (saved or unsaved person) was missed or wasn't evangelized to.

By only replying to a small quote of my post misinterpreted the entire message and I'd rather not commit treason against another fellow Christian by telling them incorrectly nor causing offense as God specifically stated, "Touch not my anointed and do my prophets no harm." (1 Chronicles 16:22)

The law is spiritual as in Romans 7:14 and I revealed the spiritual implications as instructed by God. We do not receive the quick death and condemnation as mandated by the law itself but consequences do occur such as hellfire if they do not repent as I previously stated above.

How often one can fall into sin and come out is up to God and that person. Deliverance will be necessary if overexposed. Returning to sin after deliverance will make it worse especially if it is a vain repentance of sin should they return as 2 Peter 2:20-22 warns. (Matthew 12:43-45). The severity of sin as most people like to use is justified through their own interpretation instead of God's.

We all encounter shortfalls and mistakes in life as no one is perfect so I hold no expectations. Wherefore mercy and grace is required to pull someone out of sin and not stay in it. (Romans 3:31, Romans 6:2, Romans 6:15)

If you would be so kind, please ask God Himself as I did and ask Him confirmation as suggested earlier to Targaryen and also re-read the scriptures I posted above.

Shalom and be blessed in Yahushua's name,

Bro. Daniel

• Agree
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
When the Bible is used incorrectly to condemn harmless things for no real reason at all, it casts more doubt on the person claiming they know it's God telling them something when it's telling them something they completely miss.

In lesser words, Crypto's correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
When the Bible is used incorrectly to condemn harmless things for no real reason at all, it casts more doubt on the person claiming they know it's God telling them something when it's telling them something they completely miss.

In lesser words, Crypto's correct.

More than simply the misuse of Holy Scripture, what I take real issue with "Brother" Daniel's statement is implication that God personally told him. I make it a habit to dismiss anyone who claims God personally spoke with them, because the Scriptures tell us how and where God speaks with us, and it isn't with by speaking privately with individuals. God has promised to speak to us through His Church in the preaching of His Word. Whether it be pope or plowman, no individual speaks for God.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
More than simply the misuse of Holy Scripture, what I take real issue with "Brother" Daniel's statement is implication that God personally told him. I make it a habit to dismiss anyone who claims God personally spoke with them, because the Scriptures tell us how and where God speaks with us, and it isn't with by speaking privately with individuals. God has promised to speak to us through His Church in the preaching of His Word. Whether it be pope or plowman, no individual speaks for God.

-CryptoLutheran

Well yes, but that doesn't stop others around here doing similar to Daniel on other topics. Which is why I find as much fault with how the Scripture is being misused, but I think we both can agree. The leap in logic presented is a bit much.

• Agree
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
yugioh is no more evil then uno. What? is my little pony evil now too?
Do you not remember a few years back the outcry from heterodoxical people like for instance John Hagee, ranting and raving that Harry Potter was Satanic? it's the same type of lack of common sense and jumps in so-called theology that presents things like this as evil when it the furthest thing from it.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,261.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Do you not remember a few years back the outcry from heterodoxical people like for instance John Hagee, ranting and raving that Harry Potter was Satanic? it's the same type of lack of common sense and jumps in so-called theology that presents things like this as evil when it the furthest thing from it.
What makes you say that Harry Potter is not satanic?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0