Is your piety to keep your pride in check...? Is that false piety...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Is your piety to keep your pride in check...?

Is that false piety...?

If it is, it seems to be necessary for a time in the Christian walk...?

Is it you humbling yourself...? (because of pride), and the wisest choice is to lower or humble yourself to an equivalent low, to offset the high that your being tempted with...

Till you find the balance, and pride is not so much a problem, as or like it used to be anyway, then your free to be more genuine...

Comments...?

God Bless!

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are you proud of and why?

If one has worked hard on something and the result is good. Then there is nothing wrong in being proud of what you have achieved.
The harm in pride is when one assumes that the ability one has is yours, that it is not a God given gift.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What are you proud of and why?

If one has worked hard on something and the result is good. Then there is nothing wrong in being proud of what you have achieved.

Pride in ones accomplishments, if they are good, like what? Do you have an example... I think it's still dangerous and makes one less smart or wise with it (pride)...

Anything one takes personal pride in can become and idol in your heart...

There is a difference in taking pride in an accomplishment, and being happy or feeling good about an accomplishment, and you only did it or could do it because of God, and it was really God in you, and losing sight of that with any accomplishment, is dangerous spiritually

The harm in pride is when one assumes that the ability one has is yours, that it is not a God given gift.

Again, do you have an example...?

I'm not quite following you...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pride in ones accomplishments, if they are good, like what? Do you have an example... I think it's still dangerous and makes one less smart or wise with it (pride)...
At my church we have several very good muscians who take pride in the fact that they can play well. It is the result of hundreds of hours of practise. However they also recognise that God gave them the desire to play as well as the character to practise, practise, practise in order to learn to play.

So when complemented on good playing they will acept the compliment but they do so without bragging of their ability, they know and will say that their ability is from God.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I only know that, for me, I used to get puffed up a lot, and also have very down times as well, and I think the two are linked...

Usually someone who starts out a prayer with or to God like, "Oh, Lord God, I am nothing, I am a gross, disgusting wicked sinner, I am only dust, I am insignificant, lowly wretch, a worm, I'm worthless, I don't deserve anything, most especially you... (Ect, Ect) on and on like that continually, every time...

Usually a person is like, or has to be like that... I found that I was that way and used to think of that due to either being tempted to, or actually being puffed up with pride, and I had to lower myself to a very low, low, to offset it/that (pride)...

So that, both being to low or being to high, even the lows were due to pride, or were a result of being way to susceptible to pride issues/problems all the time...

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
At my church we have several very good muscians who take pride in the fact that they can play well. It is the result of hundreds of hours of practise. However they also recognise that God gave them the desire to play as well as the character to practise, practise, practise in order to learn to play.

So when complemented on good playing they will acept the compliment but they do so without bragging of their ability, they know and will say that their ability is from God.
I don't think that is taking "pride" in it, just being happy with it and satisfied with it and pleased about it, with it, and not forgetting that anything your able to do, or do, is really from and because of God, and not you, that keeps from being too proud about it...

How many secular musicians who do not believe in God, and do not have God in their lives, how often and how much do they get very puffed up with pride in their own selves not having God in their lives...?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If that is not pride, what is.
Your attitude about it and your demeanor, you can be happy about or with something without having and arrogant and haughty attitude and demeanor about it, that's not pride, unless it becomes arrogance, unless they full or themselves in some way...

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your attitude about it and your demeanor, you can be happy about or with something without having and arrogant and haughty attitude and demeanor about it, that's not pride, unless it becomes arrogance, unless they full or themselves in some way...
That is were we disagree as I would say being pleased with a piece of work is pride and that there is nothing wrong in that pride so long, and here we agree, the credit for that ability is given to God and one does not look down on people without that ability.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That is were we disagree as I would say being pleased with a piece of work is pride and that there is nothing wrong in that pride so long, and here we agree, the credit for that ability is given to God and one does not look down on people without that ability.
When the bible says pride or talks about pride, which is it talking about...?

I find it not to my advantage anymore to have any kind of pride though...

Don't you have to be proud of God and not you, or not...?

I'm open to the idea of healthy pride, but am at a loss so far...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When the bible says pride or talks about pride, which is it talking about...?

I find it not to my advantage anymore to have any kind of pride though...

Don't you have to be proud of God and not you, or not...?

I'm open to the idea of healthy pride, but am at a loss so far...?

What do you see as being wrong about being proud of something you've worked hard to do.
What if after a hard day at work your boss comes to you and says, ' You done a great job today!' All you've done is work, can't you be proud of that.

What if you turned to your boss and said. 'Oh, its nothing', how is he going to react.

Where it is wrong is if like Nebucanesser ( sorry can't spell ) you atribute anything you have done only to yourself, Daniel gave God the credit for his wisdom, and accepted praise for his wisdom.

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What do you see as being wrong about being proud of something you've worked hard to do.
What if after a hard day at work your boss comes to you and says, ' You done a great job today!' All you've done is work, can't you be proud of that.

What if you turned to your boss and said. 'Oh, its nothing', how is he going to react.

Where it is wrong is if like Nebucanesser ( sorry can't spell ) you atribute anything you have done only to yourself, Daniel gave God the credit for his wisdom, and accepted praise for his wisdom.

God Bless!

I guess you can, but as I look back now, and considering the impossible nature of some of the things I have done and been able to do, and me not knowing how in the heck how, I have to conclude that it was almost all God and none of me...

But, I like your example and case you make for healthy pride though...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I just know, or think, that any trace of pride, Satan can use to manipulate you, but, without it, he cannot...

Without any personal pride in ones self, the enemy has nothing, NOTHING, on you, no hold, no place, no way to get to you at all...

It completely disarms him...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I just know, or think, that any trace of pride, Satan can use to manipulate you, but, without it, he cannot...

Without any personal pride in ones self, the enemy has nothing, NOTHING, on you, no hold, no place, no way to get to you at all...

It completely disarms him...

God Bless!
And, you'll find out, without pride, you will begin to hear God, not in an audible voice persay, but in a feeling, a prompting, and unction, from the inside, to what is good and right, especially when opportunities to do so present themselves...

You'll as they say, "have a heart" without your pride, and begin to listen to your heart more and more...

Which God loves...

No pride can be a protection against the enemy, and deepen your relationship and fellowship with God...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I say, "Pride breeds stupidity" then say, "ask me how I know"...?

The more pride one has the more immature they are also. I think its a good way to measure spiritual age/maturity, intelligence, how error (or lie) free you will be, that kind of thing...

Ask me how I know?

Pride can be a very hard to think about losing or living without (it)... Many of us just "don't know how" to do it any other way (live without or free of pride) and its very slick and sneaky, you'll think you've got the whole pride issue whipped, just to find out you haven't yet, if your being honest that it is pride, then you'll think again, ok, this time i know I've got it now this time, just to find out later that, yet again, you really had not fully yet... So, learn, grow, there is a reward waiting at the end of it... I'm still a work in progress...

He just asks that you be honest about it, but, i want more, i want to achieve it, be it (completely free of pride) but he just wants you to be honest...

I apologize for the assault on pride, but it is not really an assault against you or me, we can be forgiven and are forgiven and can change it, if we want to with his (Jesus) help... This assault on pride is against the one who cannot be forgiven cause he will not give it up or repent. It is an assault on him, not you or I...

Summary if what I've learned and how I've changed...

All, "ALL" traces of pride, ego, selfishness and self-centeredness have to go out the window... You must embrace love for everyone regardless of what you might think of them, and this is not truly possible with a pride issue... Stop judging, leave that to God... That's his arena and we step on his toes when we do it... Learn wisdom... Keep a true, genuine faith based on these things in mind and not a fake false one not based on these things and be deceiving your own mind and blind.... Remember your a servant to all and everyone and conduct yourself and have the attitude of such.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,991.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I say, "Pride breeds stupidity" then say, "ask me how I know"...?

The more pride one has the more immature they are also. I think its a good way to measure spiritual age/maturity, intelligence, how error (or lie) free you will be, that kind of thing...

Ask me how I know?

Pride can be a very hard to think about losing or living without (it)... Many of us just "don't know how" to do it any other way (live without or free of pride) and its very slick and sneaky, you'll think you've got the whole pride issue whipped, just to find out you haven't yet, if your being honest that it is pride, then you'll think again, ok, this time i know I've got it now this time, just to find out later that, yet again, you really had not fully yet... So, learn, grow, there is a reward waiting at the end of it... I'm still a work in progress...

He just asks that you be honest about it, but, i want more, i want to achieve it, be it (completely free of pride) but he just wants you to be honest...

I apologize for the assault on pride, but it is not really an assault against you or me, we can be forgiven and are forgiven and can change it, if we want to with his (Jesus) help... This assault on pride is against the one who cannot be forgiven cause he will not give it up or repent. It is an assault on him, not you or I...

Summary if what I've learned and how I've changed...

All, "ALL" traces of pride, ego, selfishness and self-centeredness have to go out the window... You must embrace love for everyone regardless of what you might think of them, and this is not truly possible with a pride issue... Stop judging, leave that to God... That's his arena and we step on his toes when we do it... Learn wisdom... Keep a true, genuine faith based on these things in mind and not a fake false one not based on these things and be deceiving your own mind and blind.... Remember your a servant to all and everyone and conduct yourself and have the attitude of such.

God Bless!

Upvote 0