Is withdrawing from church activities the same as looking back?

Is withdrawing from church activities the same as looking back?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

ABCthings

Light
Jun 4, 2019
Suleja
✟31,543.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I just got a new phone(it's a knockoff tho.) and the charging point got spoilt. Secondly I was playing drums today instead my usual piano and the pedal(kick) broke.

I think l now have the magic touch of destruction and I was planning to withdraw from mainly all church activities but our sermon today was based on Luke 9 : 62

'But Jesus told him, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.”'

Which got me thinking, is withdrawing from church activities the same as looking back?

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Taking your hand from the plow would cease its movement. It would stand in place. That’s more akin to quitting than streamlining engagement.

You could posit it depends on where your time is being directed. Sin versus productive pursuits.

~Bella

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think most people, ministers included, would think that what you described would amount to "looking back." If you were to also renounce the faith altogether, that would be different.

Upvote 0

ABCthings

Light
Jun 4, 2019
Suleja
✟31,543.00
Country
Nigeria
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Taking your hand from the plow would cease its movement. It would stand in place. That’s more akin to quitting than streamlining engagement.

You could posit it depends on where your time is being directed. Sin versus productive pursuits.

~Bella
Your answer isn't very straight. Thanks though.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you still reading the bible, praying and meeting with a 2 or 3 other believers? If you are, it is not looking back. Looking back is like Lot's wife who desired to back to the sun filled city they were leaving.

• Useful
Reactions: ABCthings
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your answer isn't very straight. Thanks though.

My answer is straightforward if you understood the context of what he stated during the period it referenced. Plows weren’t electric. They were pulled by oxen or powered by the person. Like the image below.

If you withdraw your hand movement ceases. But there’s something more. Hand plows are hard to push. They’re used to break up the soil. If you stop moving you’ll break your momentum. I’ve used one on a farm.

That’s the nugget in Paul’s comment. Keep moving. Once you stop it’s hard to start again. You didn’t quit. You reduced your activity.

~Bella

7FCF2A56-0D1F-4DDB-95A9-55780E199C50.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which got me thinking, is withdrawing from church activities the same as looking back?
No. As a matter of fact, many Churches become so 'activity' minded, they ought to a bit of looking back themselves to their 'First Love'.

• Agree
Reactions: longwait
Upvote 0

ForHimbyHim

May 18, 2020
Nairobi
✟55,269.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just hearing you say you think you have the magic touch of destruction is interesting. Phone carding systems break all the time, even on iPhone or Samsung. So do drum set peddles. There is however one who has a magic touch of destruction, he's name is the devil.

If you're worried about being influenced by the devil, or that you currently have a destroying problem, pray about it, ask God to deliver you from that, but if serving in the church is currently what you feel God wants you to do, so it as unto Him, but on the other hand, if you feel like a previous poster said, you need a break because the importance of helping in the church is overriding your relationship with Jesus and keeping you away from him more than drawing closer to him, then I would take a break.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When Jesus is Lord, every Christian learns that they have responsibilities. We are ambassadors, disciples, needed members of the body of Christ who battle for the Lord. If you quit doing things because you are being redeployed somewhere else, or changing positions, then that is great. If one quits and is doing nothing, then how is Jesus your Lord? ( I do not say this is you, I only point it out as an illustration). I would be worried too if someone does not know what God wants them to do. God has given us the Holy Spirit, to led and guide us, a helper indeed. I would ask God to help deploy you to His will, that you could bear fruit in love and be effective as one of God's elect. I would add that there are seasons in every life. Anyone might very well have a season where they are not very public. Many of the greats from the bible were alone or separated for some time. I would not say they stopped, but rather God was teaching and training them for a later date.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just got a new phone(it's a knockoff tho.) and the charging point got spoilt. Secondly I was playing drums today instead my usual piano and the pedal(kick) broke.

I think l now have the magic touch of destruction and I was planning to withdraw from mainly all church activities but our sermon today was based on Luke 9 : 62

'But Jesus told him, “Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the Kingdom of God.”'

If you have musical skills you should be using that to praise and worship the Lord (not for self promotion but for God's glory). Most of the churches' activity lists these days come out of man's mind and not God's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My answer is straightforward if you understood the context of what he stated during the period it referenced. Plows weren’t electric. They were pulled by oxen or powered by the person. Like the image below.

If you withdraw your hand movement ceases. But there’s something more. Hand plows are hard to push. They’re used to break up the soil. If you stop moving you’ll break your momentum. I’ve used one on a farm.

That’s the nugget in Paul’s comment. Keep moving. Once you stop it’s hard to start again. You didn’t quit. You reduced your activity.

~Bella

View attachment 279015
Ard (plough) - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

personally i believe looking back is when you decide to follow the world again and not follow Christ. It's not about your church activities. You could be very active in the church but you may not have repented from your sins and accepted Christ into your life. There's many people like that in Churches (its a show, and they'll probably be the ones who will murmur and gossip about you). Your love for Christ is more important than your love for church activities. Your Agape Love for Christ will lead you to do things for him, not for man.

god bless.

• Useful
Reactions: ABCthings
Upvote 0