Is wearing jewellery with the cross or the crucifix a form on idolatry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Jesus gave us the Lord's Supper to remind us of him.

And yes it is idolatry and not Christian. Pagan religions in the past used cross symbols, including the Egyptians, so how can it be Christian?. Churches should have crosses on them.

Did the Jews wear crosses to remember the thousands crucified by Antiochus Epiphanes, of the hundreds by Titus?

You can put a cross on a steeple and people will know it's a church. Why do you say churches should have crosses on them? Do you worship some place that is not a church?

Idolatry is extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone. God knows our hearts.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
You can put a cross on a steeple and people will know it's a church. Why do you say churches should have crosses on them? Do you worship some place that is not a church?

Idolatry is extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone. God knows our hearts.

Bible based churches don't have crosses. They have the name of the church on a board outside. That is all that is needed.

Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative

If Jesus was killed by an assault rifle would you put one of those on your steeple?

The cross is the mark of the beast.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"You shall make you no idols nor graven image neither rear you up a standing image neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God".

Notice it says idols, and bowing down to them. The context of the commandment is idolatry. If whatever we're talking about is an idol you place above God, we have a problem. If not, we don't.

Drink deeply from 2Cor 3. We have a covenant that is of the spirit, not the letter. The letter kills, but the spirit brings life. If your heart's purpose in wearing a cross is to honor Christ and declare your consecration to Him, that is a beautiful thing not to be ashamed of.

As Hebrews says, we have a "better" covenant than did the Israelites. So walk in your freedom in Christ, and use that freedom to honor Him.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It kind of sounds like you were attributing motive.

I don't read minds. A Catholic who kisses statues can reveal his motive, but he can't reveal what is the heart of another Catholic.

I am NOT judging a Catholic's heart or motive! I merely related what I had seen with my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If Jesus was killed by an assault rifle would you put one of those on your steeple?

I absolutely disagree about the mark of the beast!

If Jesus chose to be killed by an assault rife, it would remind me of His love for me. But He chose a cross.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,271,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Consider the cross of Christ as a kind of Purple heart. Awarded to those who die in battle protecting those they love.

Upvote 0

TheSeeker2014

Jul 6, 2014
✟12,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I havn't read the whole Bible throughly yet but I know that it states throughout The Bible including verse Leviticus 26:1 which says "You shall make you no idols nor graven image neither rear you up a standing image neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God". Leviticus 26:1

I believe that making graven images of things in Heaven & on Earth is also one of the 10 commandments. I think it was the second commandment.

Is wearing jewellery with the cross or crucifix, may it be a necklace, earrings or bracelet etc a form of idolatry? Is doing this going against scripture? I wear a necklace with the cross on it but I am beginning to believe that wearing a cross or owning a statue etc of the cross, crucifix or even of Jesus alone is committing idolatry. I used to believe that wearing a cross or crucifix around my neck or another form of jewellery was a representation of Jesus dying for our sins but now I am starting to believe that it is the wrong thing to do and I am thinking about removing the cross from my necklace.

If you believe what I am saying is correct, please explain why and if you believe otherwise , why do you believe that wearing the cross or crucifix is not committing idolatry?

I'd say no.
Simply making an image that we do not worship does not make it idolatry.
What about the images made in the Tabernacle and Temples of the Old Covenant?
The pomegranates and palm trees, bulls holding up a water basin, Cherubim on curtains and on the Ark of the Covenant...
These were not being worshiped.
When blood was sprinkled on the Ark of the Covenant, were they worshiping Golden Angels? No.
When Jews kissed the Torah when handling it where they worshiping a book? No. It was done in respect or observance to God, it wasn't just any old book.
At the end of the day, for conscious sake, dont wear a cross if you feel you shouldn't but it itself is not idolatry.
Now people can use Jewelry for the wrong reasons (vanity, pride, ect) but jewelry itself isnt wrong.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. The Baptist churches that I've briefly visited in America have crosses.

Baptist churches in England also have crosses. The cross is one of the things that unites Christians.

heaton_baptist.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟839,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
240456_3341bfd4b8bed7e07683758cb9d23d0d.jpg

Mod Hat ON

By staff consensus, this thread is closed. It has run its course and cannot continue without setting people up for a possible rule violation.

Mod Hat OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.