Washington
✟15,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've been watching MMA for quite some time and do really enjoy the sport. That being said, as of late I've been wondering if watching such of a violent sport is wrong. For the most part I've cut out all violent movies in and TV shows in my life (but to be honest I didn't really watch that many to begin with.)

Just to give an idea as to what happens in MMA bouts for the novice I've put some gifs in the spoilers below.

Don-Frye-Vs.-Yoshihiro-Takayama.gif

14-henderson-bisping-gif.gif

maia_story_nosefaucet.gif

For me the passage comes to mind 1 Corinthians 3:16-17.

16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

My thought process is these men (and women) are destroying their bodies for this sport their temples. And yes some of these fighters are Christian (Vitor Belfort, Yoel Romero, and Dennis Hallman to name a few.) Romero even had a famous post-fight speech where he talked about Jesus.

That being said, I wonder if we're all hypocrites for either participating in or viewing the sport. Any thoughts?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It strikes me as a bit ironic that public sentiment is that people who promote or watch dogfighting, cockfighting, bull baiting, etc. are largely viewed with contempt, and in the US we jail them for cruelty to animals.

Yet the same activity with humans, who each bear the image of God and so should be accorded some degree of dignity, we accept as "sport"?

Do you think Jesus would enjoy watching such "sport"?

That should give you your answer.

Reminds me of the Roman colliseum.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been watching MMA for quite some time and do really enjoy the sport. That being said, as of late I've been wondering if watching such of a violent sport is wrong. For the most part I've cut out all violent movies in and TV shows in my life (but to be honest I didn't really watch that many to begin with.)

Just to give an idea as to what happens in MMA bouts for the novice I've put some gifs in the spoilers below.

Don-Frye-Vs.-Yoshihiro-Takayama.gif

14-henderson-bisping-gif.gif

maia_story_nosefaucet.gif

For me the passage comes to mind 1 Corinthians 3:16-17.

16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

My thought process is these men (and women) are destroying their bodies for this sport their temples. And yes some of these fighters are Christian (Vitor Belfort, Yoel Romero, and Dennis Hallman to name a few.) Romero even had a famous post-fight speech where he talked about Jesus.

That being said, I wonder if we're all hypocrites for either participating in or viewing the sport. Any thoughts?

It's a violent sport, but then the most entertaining sports generally are (I'm thinking of American Football especially here). But here's the thing: Were early church leaders opposed to things that went on in the Colosseum? Of course they were. People were dying there for the sake of entertainment. But did Paul condemn all sporting events? He actually used the analogy of the Greek games quite often, and not just the marathons (i.e. "running the race with endurance"). He also used the analogy of "fighting the good fight of faith" and of beating his body and bringing it under submission instead of just shadow-boxing (1 Corinthians 9:26-27). There is a strong possibility that Paul attended the Greek games that were held in Corinth during the years he lived there, given so many references to such sporting events in his letters.

One would be hard-pressed to make the case that he would use such analogies if he regarded it a sin for a believer to attend or watch them, and the Greek fights were very similar to the way the UFC does things. In fact, UFC fighters wear more gloves than the Greek fighters did. I think they just taped their hands a little.

Anyway, to each his own, but as a man of the scriptures and one who understands the spiritual WAR we are in - one where multitudes are being damned for eternity every day - I don't have much problem with the UFC. I can understand why Christian women might be repelled by it, but to the rest my take is we need to man up a little. Too many spiritual cupcakes in the body of "Christ" as it is now. I've yet to meet a Christian who impressed me who wasn't very aggressive in his or her mentality, and sad to say but I don't meet a lot them.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,261.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The problem with brutal sports such as MMA is that they desensitize us to blood, gore and violence. As a result it can make us less appreciative of the sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross, which is undoubtedly a terrible thing.

If you are doing anything that puts even an ounce of regret or question as to whether it is right into your heart, then most of the time it is best to refrain or at least re-think.

But above all, talk to God. I am sure that he will answer your question for you, unless of course he can see that you already know the answer.

I hope you find what you are looking for, God bless.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's a violent sport, but then the most entertaining sports generally are (I'm thinking of American Football especially here). But here's the thing: Were early church leaders opposed to things that went on in the Colosseum? Of course they were. People were dying there for the sake of entertainment. But did Paul condemn all sporting events? He actually used the analogy of the Greek games quite often, and not just the marathons (i.e. "running the race with endurance"). He also used the analogy of "fighting the good fight of faith" and of beating his body and bringing it under submission instead of just shadow-boxing (1 Corinthians 9:26-27). There is a strong possibility that Paul attended the Greek games that were held in Corinth during the years he lived there, given so many references to such sporting events in his letters.

One would be hard-pressed to make the case that he would use such analogies if he regarded it a sin for a believer to attend or watch them, and the Greek fights were very similar to the way the UFC does things. In fact, UFC fighters wear more gloves than the Greek fighters did. I think they just taped their hands a little.

Anyway, to each his own, but as a man of the scriptures and one who understands the spiritual WAR we are in - one where multitudes are being damned for eternity every day - I don't have much problem with the UFC. I can understand why Christian women might be repelled by it, but to the rest my take is we need to man up a little. Too many spiritual cupcakes in the body of "Christ" as it is now. I've yet to meet a Christian who impressed me who wasn't very aggressive in his or her mentality, and sad to say but I don't meet a lot them.

Those are interesting thoughts. And I can't say about Paul - but it makes sense that he might use analogies that would be familiar to the people while he did not himself involve in them. Christ often use farming metaphors, because the people would understand them, but He was not a farmer.

I'm also thinking about the "Christian women vs men" comment. Yes, women may naturally be gentler, in the home, for example. However - our particular tradition (Orthodoxy) is one that very directly confronts spiritual issues and discipline and warfare (perhaps more so than any others - it is one reason why men specifically are drawn to it, sometimes). Yet even so, I stand by my comment that we are talking about being entertained by cruelly defacing the image of God in a human being. If that excites us ... what exactly are we feeding within ourselves?

I find your reply to bring up interesting points. I'll give you that. :)

But in the final analysis, I don't think this is a "soft womanly" thing. I do thank you for giving me the opportunity to examine and think about it though. :)

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those are interesting thoughts. And I can't say about Paul - but it makes sense that he might use analogies that would be familiar to the people while he did not himself involve in them. Christ often use farming metaphors, because the people would understand them, but He was not a farmer.

I'm also thinking about the "Christian women vs men" comment. Yes, women may naturally be gentler, in the home, for example. However - our particular tradition (Orthodoxy) is one that very directly confronts spiritual issues and discipline and warfare (perhaps more so than any others - it is one reason why men specifically are drawn to it, sometimes). Yet even so, I stand by my comment that we are talking about being entertained by cruelly defacing the image of God in a human being. If that excites us ... what exactly are we feeding within ourselves?

I find your reply to bring up interesting points. I'll give you that. :)

But in the final analysis, I don't think this is a "soft womanly" thing. I do thank you for giving me the opportunity to examine and think about it though. :)

Hi, Anastasia. If I were into discussing things as I used to, I'd reply. But I think I'm done with "Christian" debating at this point. Usually it's a waste of breath of both sides, and merely engenders strife (though thankfully it has yet to in our case). Personally, I'm far more concerned with the bludgeoning Christians dish out verbally against one another daily, especially at this Forum. To me, that's a FAR more egregious sin in the eyes of God than watching an MMA fight, and it goes on all day, every day without anyone seeming to speak up about it, as if it had been normalized.

But God bless, and thanks for your kind response. Like I said, to each his own.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Anastasia. If I were into discussing things as I used to, I'd reply. But I think I'm done with "Christian" debating at this point. Usually it's a waste of breath of both sides, and merely engenders strife (though thankfully it has yet to in our case). Personally, I'm far more concerned with the bludgeoning Christians dish out verbally against one another daily, especially at this Forum. To me, that's a FAR more egregious sin in the eyes of God than watching an MMA fight, and it goes on all day, every day without anyone seeming to speak up about it, as if it had been normalized.

But God bless, and thanks for your kind response. Like I said, to each his own.
I absolutely agree that what goes on in the way of arguing in the forums is far worse!

And I am not interested in arguing, trying to change anyone's mind, or proving my point so that someone has to accept it. I much prefer discussion, and that's what I try to do here on CF. It's difficult without tone. And I tried to say (in the past) that I don't wish to argue but that very statement upsets some folks.

Honestly, it's perfectly ok for Christians to disagree on various things or look at things s bit differently. I think it benefits us if we can talk about that. And yes, I sometimes learn, and sometimes change my mind. :) But I don't have it as a goal usually to force anyone to change their mind (forgive me, there are some very topics very basic to Christianity that I can be a bit more defensive of, like the virgin birth or the authority of Scripture, but this is FAR from being one of them). :)

God be with you. I hope my reply didn't offend. :)

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I absolutely agree that what goes on in the way of arguing in the forums is far worse!

And I am not interested in arguing, trying to change anyone's mind, or proving my point so that someone has to accept it. I much prefer discussion, and that's what I try to do here on CF. It's difficult without tone. And I tried to say (in the past) that I don't wish to argue but that very statement upsets some folks.

Honestly, it's perfectly ok for Christians to disagree on various things or look at things s bit differently. I think it benefits us if we can talk about that. And yes, I sometimes learn, and sometimes change my mind. :) But I don't have it as a goal usually to force anyone to change their mind (forgive me, there are some very topics very basic to Christianity that I can be a bit more defensive of, like the virgin birth or the authority of Scripture, but this is FAR from being one of them). :)

God be with you. I hope my reply didn't offend. :)

No, no. We're good. Actually, I think the strongest argument against watching violent entertainment is that it most certainly is not going on in Heaven, nor will it in eternity. But the problem for me is that there are a lot of things that are going on in Heaven which unfortunately are not down here - true fellowship, true unity of spirit, sharing in the mind of Christ together, etc - and without them it leaves a massive void. I rarely watch MMA anymore, but it and football make the list I can count on one hand of the things I still find mildly entertaining...

In the final analysis yes, I think the typical Christian probably could and definitely should fine better things to entertain themselves with. But watching MMA would be better than losing one's mind in the throws of crushing boredom, LoL.

Just throwing my few cents in for a change. As always, you're good to bat a few things around with.

God bless, and keep up the good work. :wave:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, no. We're good. Actually, I think the strongest argument against watching violent entertainment is that it most certainly is not going on in Heaven, nor will it in eternity. But the problem for me is that there are a lot of things that are going on in Heaven which unfortunately are not down here - true fellowship, true unity of spirit, sharing in the mind of Christ together, etc - and without them it leaves a massive void. I rarely watch MMA anymore, but it and football make the list I can count on one hand of the things I still find mildly entertaining...

In the final analysis yes, I think the typical Christian probably could and definitely should fine better things to entertain themselves with. But watching MMA would be better than losing one's mind in the throws of crushing boredom, LoL.

Just throwing my few cents in for a change. As always, you're good to bat a few things around with.

God bless, and keep up the good work. :wave:
Thank you, and God bless you too. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I find it profoundly disturbing that watching two people pummel each other is considered a form of entertainment. It appeals to the very worst aspects of human nature. I also agree with the earlier poster who pointed out the very real societal danger in becoming desensitized to violence.

Upvote 0

Zatek

Mar 5, 2015
✟26,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think there's a good case to be made that watching is wrong. I mean why be lazy and only watch? So many men these days are weak, timid, and afraid of everything, and also overweight and out of shape. Go join an MMA gym, get some exercise, learn how to be assertive, fight, and stand up for what's right. It's also a great place to make friends and have fun.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's a combat sport with rules, a ringside doctor, and in many cases sportsmanship between the two contenders. I have no problems with watching it at all.

If someone from the days of the Roman Empire were to watch it, he'd probably ask when he would get to see them fighting with weapons. The gladiatorial games were at another level of brutality completely.

Upvote 0

Jenniferdiana

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
louisiana
✟174,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I dont think its entirely wrong. And although i dont like violence, i think of fighting as an art because you are using your mind and i think thats fun. Not fun to hurt people of course..etc

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.