Is using someones "accent" racist?

Is using someones accent racist?

• Yes!

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Depends on what they are saying/doing when using it.

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is a semi-new "meme" going around called Ugandan Knuckles. Knuckles is an echidna character from a video game (Sonic series). Well this meme version of the character is essentially someone has taken what he looks like and made him very short and fat. They use him in virtual chat rooms but instead of using their (the gamers) normal voices, they use a Ugandan accent and say things like "Do you know da wae?" (the way). Originally this was inspired by a movie made in Uganda in which a character says that line.

Some people are saying its racist because its making fun of Ugandans since its uses their accent. But is that even a thing? I mean people tend to use accents of other people all the time. And not usually as an offensive matter. I feel like people are stretching things to far with what "racist" means. Even many Ugandan people (including the movie maker) love the meme and find it hilarious.

Now, to be fair some people that have used this character in virtual chats will make clicking sounds (like a tribal click). And one person said "He has the ebola!". Now the ebola comment obviously seems racist. Though the clicking thing I am really unsure how to feel about. In the end I think the original meme with just the "Do you know the wae?" (with accent) is not really racist. Maybe its a tad bit close to offensive to some. But not racist.

What do you think? Is imitating an accent really racism? Maybe just mean? Or not a big deal at all? Or does it really depend on how its used?

I should note while I am italian, I am born american so obviously I don't have the italian accent. But I imitate it sometimes. As I do others, such as with my irish friend I'll say "Top of the morning to ya <name>!". I think its all innocent fun. This also begs the question does this mean if someone uses a "southern twang" accent, does that mean racism? I mean that isn't even a race.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Anything and everything can be racist if chosen to be construed in that manner. It depends on context, what the speaker intends and how the hearer perceives it. If the exchange occurs independantly of the group whose accent is imitated, it also depends on whether they would perceive it to be so.

An innocent joke between you and your friend would not be racist, or at least not offensive. There is no reason to go looking for racism, as often innocent fun is intended. I believe you mentioned Super Mario in a previous thread, who is a stereotyped charicature invented by Japanese. They clearly did not do so to mock Italians, but as a fun character. It only becomes offensive if the Italians take offense.
The most popular Asterix book in the UK is Asterix and Britain, full of mockery of all things British. Things are seldom black and white, though.

I assume in this case, that Ugandans would take offense, and I would think it often used in an insulting manner. So yes, probably racist in many instances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If you were a Principal in a School, and you heard some kids using that accent towards a Ugandan student, would you think the child was being made fun of, or that they were being bullied?

Would you make those using the accent stop?......There is your answer.

Even if kids throughout you School only started using the accent after some Ugandan kids began to attend.

It's very easy for whites to make fun of everyone else, but we better begin to understand, the population of the US. has changed from what it always has been to now, 50% white, 50% minority, we seem to be changing shoes, and when both of those shoes are on our feet, we better hope we dealt more charitably with others while we could.

It would be advisable to err on the side of good.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Anything and everything can be racist if chosen to be construed in that manner. It depends on context, what the speaker intends and how the hearer perceives it. If the exchange occurs independantly of the group whose accent is imitated, it also depends on whether they would perceive it to be so.

An innocent joke between you and your friend would not be racist, or at least not offensive. There is no reason to go looking for racism, as often innocent fun is intended. I believe you mentioned Super Mario in a previous thread, who is a stereotyped charicature invented by Japanese. They clearly did not do so to mock Italians, but as a fun character. It only becomes offense if the Italians take offense. Things are seldom black and white, though.

I assume in this case, that Ugandans would take offense, and I would think it often used in an insulting manner. So yes, probably racist in many instances.
If the innocent joke between friends, cannot be told with third party present, then it is Raciest.

A persons character isn't determined by what they do or say when people are present, but when they are alone.

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the Ugandan knuckles meme is inherently racist unless people use it to talk down to Ugandans or Africans in general. Some people are very open to more "controversial" senses of humor (e.g. exaggerated stereotypes) and some people take offense at virtually everything.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some good replies. The point about thinking of a race as inferior to yours equals racism, that is a good point. I know when I have used accents I never think less of the person or what/who they are. I if anything love accents. Its fascinating! Being married to a foreigner I love when the women talk because the accent is interesting to to listen to and also how they raise the volume when talking.

Some of the groups in Africa that use clicking for example, that is mind blowing to me because I don't think I could ever understand how various clicks mean anything. Just as with the fantasy language of Klingon. How you pronounce things and the "grit" (like they are clearing their throat) is very interesting. Of course this is off topic since that is a fictional language. I just love language.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a semi-new "meme" going around called Ugandan Knuckles. Knuckles is an echidna character from a video game (Sonic series). Well this meme version of the character is essentially someone has taken what he looks like and made him very short and fat. They use him in virtual chat rooms but instead of using their (the gamers) normal voices, they use a Ugandan accent and say things like "Do you know da wae?" (the way). Originally this was inspired by a movie made in Uganda in which a character says that line.

Some people are saying its racist because its making fun of Ugandans since its uses their accent. But is that even a thing?
Several years ago the Washington post had an article about the tensions between DC area African-Americans and African Ex pats. One African American woman talked about her African neighbors speaking that "bugga bugga language." that is probably a more extreme example of what you are talking about; but my question is why would it be called "racist" since both sides are of African decent? Is that not the same race?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know when I have used accents I never think less of the person or what/who they are. I if anything love accents.
Being a white from the north, most southern white accents sound "hick" or even stupid to me. I sometimes have to steel myself internally when someone I know and maybe even respect from reading their materials to not judge someone out of hand if they have that accent.

It is a stereotype for sure, but cannot be "racist" since we are both white.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You can't tell a good Irish joke without an Irish accent;

"But with the halp of the Loord, and a long handled stick, I finally got 'em back doon agin."

(Punch line from perhaps the funniest Irish joke ever told.)

• Haha
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

Some people are saying its racist because its making fun of Ugandans since its uses their accent. But is that even a thing? I mean people tend to use accents of other people all the time. And not usually as an offensive matter. I feel like people are stretching things to far with what "racist" means. Even many Ugandan people (including the movie maker) love the meme and find it hilarious.

Now, to be fair some people that have used this character in virtual chats will make clicking sounds (like a tribal click). And one person said "He has the ebola!". Now the ebola comment obviously seems racist. Though the clicking thing I am really unsure how to feel about. In the end I think the original meme with just the "Do you know the wae?" (with accent) is not really racist. Maybe its a tad bit close to offensive to some. But not racist.

What do you think? Is imitating an accent really racism? Maybe just mean? Or not a big deal at all? Or does it really depend on how its used?

I should note while I am italian, I am born american so obviously I don't have the italian accent. But I imitate it sometimes. As I do others, such as with my irish friend I'll say "Top of the morning to ya <name>!". I think its all innocent fun. This also begs the question does this mean if someone uses a "southern twang" accent, does that mean racism? I mean that isn't even a race.

As has been noted in the thread, accents do not always follow along racial lines. To equate an accent with a racial difference is only applicable in situations where the accent clearly belongs to racially different people.

But that doesn't provide guidance on whether one should use an accent or not. I think the best guidance would be found in the teachings of Jesus. If -you- were a Ugandan and other people were using your manner of speech in the manner you describe, would you likely be offended? If the answer is 'yes' or even 'possibly yes' then that use would not be considered loving and you shouldn't do it.

The beauty of Jesus' teachings is that there are no longer hard and fast rules that govern interpersonal relationships. There is only the rule of Love. If one's behavior is not loving toward others, then that behavior does not comply with Jesus' teachings.

Upvote 0