Is Traveling a sin?

LoveBiotic

Jan 13, 2015
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love just traveling and getting in my car and going. I started to wonder about the pollution caused from traveling. I want to go on a road trip with my friends and just travel the US right now but Im feeling a sense of anxiety and guilt. I also love ordering my clothes from organic companies online... And feel like the pollution caused from the delivery is bad...

Help me release my doubts

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love just traveling and getting in my car and going. I started to wonder about the pollution caused from traveling. I want to go on a road trip with my friends and just travel the US right now but Im feeling a sense of anxiety and guilt. I also love ordering my clothes from organic companies online... And feel like the pollution caused from the delivery is bad...

Are you travelling in an old diesel powered bus from the 1960's that belches black sooty smoke? Or are you travelling in a modern car powered by a clean-burning fuel-injected internal combustion engine that is computer-controlled to maximize efficiency and minimize emissions?

Either way, its not a sin. The earth causes volcanoes to erupt all the time, spewing more pollution into the air in a very short time than man can create in years. Did you know that the time when earth had the most bio-diversity and the largest plants was a time of high heat, high humidity, and high CO2? The majority of the life on earth is plant life and it loves heat and CO2. There are ruins of coastal cities from 2000 years ago that are now 10 miles inland. There are ruins of other coastal cities from 2000 years ago that are miles offshore today.

Our problem, and really our sin, is that we pridefully think that we can and should maintain the status quo of an ever-changing planet. We should protect it, and if you had lived 40 years ago, you would be astonished at how far we have come with regards to stopping pollution. When I was a child, certain rivers used to catch on fire in America and acid rain fell from the sky regularly. People dumped their household trash on the side of the road or burned it in their backyard. You could put a spark plug in your tailpipe and make flames shoot out of your tailpipe because the engines were that inefficient.

Take you trip. Enjoy your life. The hard work was done before you were born.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No I am not But I feel guilt with everything I do lately.. Travel=pollution, buying something I want online =delivered from far way=pollution

Need god to help me through this fear and guilt

Most people of your generation are so indoctrinated into this cult of man-caused disaster that I'm surprised that more of you aren't frozen in fear and guilt.

The truth is that you've never lived in an America with real serious pollution and you've never faced an existential threat, so little things seems to be huge to you. That makes me really sad since you actually live in a wonderful time of technology that was science fiction when I was your age.

Reactions: AFLady71
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Jesus never traveled over 100 miles from home so I'd say traveling is a sin.

OH, Peter and Paul traveled over 100 miles so I guess its not.

Yet, Paul did say what ever is not of faith is sin. So its really upto you. If you can't travel in faith then it is a sin but if you can believe that God will use your traveling to share the love of God then you can probably can believe and it wouldn't be sinful.

As for pollution ... if you heat or air condition your home you are polluting. Ir if you breath out your adding CO2 atmosphere which is about 82% of the air pollution.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I believe China is leading the world in pollution……ever buy anything made in China? Ever buy anything not made in China might be a better question. So if your worried about traveling, then better not buy anything from China because thats contributing to the problem…..see the problem with that? Hope I didn't give you more to worry about.

Upvote 0

LoveBiotic

Jan 13, 2015
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus never traveled over 100 miles from home so I'd say traveling is a sin.

OH, Peter and Paul traveled over 100 miles so I guess its not.

Yet, Paul did say what ever is not of faith is sin. So its really upto you. If you can't travel in faith then it is a sin but if you can believe that God will use your traveling to share the love of God then you can probably can believe and it wouldn't be sinful.

As for pollution ... if you heat or air condition your home you are polluting. Ir if you breath out your adding CO2 atmosphere which is about 82% of the air pollution.

what?

Reactions: AFLady71
Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I understand what you are saying here, but CO2 is not air pollution. It is plant food. It has been present in the atmosphere since before life began. We permit the EPA to deem it to be air pollution because they have been so successful in the past and have almost run out of a reason to support their budget. So now they call CO2 and water vapor a pollutant and they have convinced a generation of oversheltered adult children to believe that these natural components of atmosphere pose an actual and immediate threat to life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't believe it's sinful whatsoever.

The Bible couldn't have been spread without travelling. It's a necessity.

As for the pollution, you can hardly be blamed on that. We could have had long-lasting/short charging electric vehicles by now if the oil industry didn't keep bribing politicians or buying up patents to electric vehicles and burying them out of self interest.

I would put the pollution right in the blame of the oil companies, who removed the choice of electric vehicles (until very recently, with the development of large-format lithium ion battery tech).

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi LoveBiotic,

I guess my answer to "is love a sin" is "it depends". As another poster commented, whatever is not of faith is sin. And if God is telling you not to travel somewhere, and you disregard that, then you are sinning.

The Bible says "God will destroy those who destroy the earth". (Revelation 11:18) Something to bear in mind with the effect all your driving has on the environment.

Upvote 0

LoveBiotic

Jan 13, 2015
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi LoveBiotic,

I guess my answer to "is love a sin" is "it depends". As another poster commented, whatever is not of faith is sin. And if God is telling you not to travel somewhere, and you disregard that, then you are sinning.

The Bible says "God will destroy those who destroy the earth". (Revelation 11:18) Something to bear in mind with the effect all your driving has on the environment.

You are just leaving me more confused.
But Ya I appreciate your view.

I am living in fear of causing harm to the environment... Every time I get in my car Im thinking.. Oh now I am contributing to air pollution causing harm to some little kid with asthma or something
But I think it might be just me obsessing

I feel a strong pull to travel to upper Canada or Alaska on a road trip with my friends but I fear this for the pollution reasons.... I know it makes no sense... :-(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi LoveBiotic,

I think it's good that you don't want to cause harm to the environment. That sort of attitude makes you less like "those who destroy the earth" mentioned in The Revelation.

The main thing is to follow your conscience. Could your thoughts about pollution be prompts for the Holy Spirit to choose alternative travel means? Walking, biking, public transport, and ride-sharing are all some practical avenues for getting around, which are less destructive to the environment. You may feel better about giving them a try.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You get exactly what I was saying .... thanks.

I understand what you are saying here, but CO2 is not air pollution. It is plant food. It has been present in the atmosphere since before life began. We permit the EPA to deem it to be air pollution because they have been so successful in the past and have almost run out of a reason to support their budget. So now they call CO2 and water vapor a pollutant and they have convinced a generation of oversheltered adult children to believe that these natural components of atmosphere pose an actual and immediate threat to life.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are just leaving me more confused.
But Ya I appreciate your view.

I am living in fear of causing harm to the environment... Every time I get in my car Im thinking.. Oh now I am contributing to air pollution causing harm to some little kid with asthma or something
But I think it might be just me obsessing

I feel a strong pull to travel to upper Canada or Alaska on a road trip with my friends but I fear this for the pollution reasons.... I know it makes no sense... :-(

Let the Lord lead you in where you should be going. If you have an insatiable wonderlust which is causing you to put God second in your life, then yes it is a sin. Get on the same page with the Lord about what you should be doing with your life, then you can evaluate whether you are operating outside of Gods will for you. Pray about this and ask God to lead you in it.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That's the devil. Tell him to shut up. If he says you can't order clothes, order some more.

20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, asthough living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle 22 which all concern things which perish with the using according to the commandments and doctrines of men? These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is absolutely nothing wrong with traveling! Think how much Paul traveled in spreading the gospel and how God protected him the entire time. While it's admirable to think about the effect on the environment you'll have the amount of "pollution" you'll cause is insignificant.

Upvote 0