Is Tool a Satanic Band? Are They Religious?

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You aren't kidding. Tool is probably my favorite band. Maynard btw is an atheist. If you wanted to be a freaked out christian whining about Tool, just listen to Eulogy and read the lyrics. I'd describe their music as esoteric, like a musical version of H.R. Geiger.

I like them for their use of drums and guitars and various other instruments, Maynards voice, and his incredible talent for lyrical rythme. A lot the longer lyrical songs, if you just look at the words you'd go....how in the hell does he make this sound good and musical?

Course it probably helps that I am also an atheist and don't freak out at the tiniest little boogie man in "teh music." The Marine Corps is made of sterner stuff :)

Upvote 0
M

maelstrom

Tool was probably my favorite rock band. I've listened to them much less since I became a Christian, and hardly listen to them at all nowadays except for when I'm in a nostalgic mood. But I did get 10,000 Days last year (it's not as "anti-religion" as some of their old albums, and I liked it very much, especially Wings for Marie), and I went to their concert recently in Atlanta.

There are definitely some occult connections in the band; it's certainly not what I'd call Christian-appropriate music. But the fact is, they're more talented as musicians than any Christian rock band I've heard. It would be nice to have a Christian band with their talent.

I don't think they're Satanists. They just have a variety of weird influences--Carl Jung, Timothy Leary, Aleister Crowley, etc. It's not for people who aren't intellectually/spiritually mature enough to be able to discern truth from falsehood.

Upvote 0

godlessagnostic

Oct 9, 2007
USA
✟7,930.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've Been Listening to Tool, Once in a While and i found one song with Questionable lyrics....and it said
"The devil with his had me down
In love with the dark side I'd found"

ok im confused now, does anyone have answers for this?
I don't think they are Satanists like Jimmy Page, but they sure as hell aren't christians.

Upvote 0

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And if someone is stupid enough to believe that just because a song has the word Satan in it, the person singing it, playing the instruments to the song, or the writer are automatically a Satanist they probably deserve to be dumb enough to throw out their music.

I don't think they are Satanists like Jimmy Page, but they sure as hell aren't christians.

I think my favorite, [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth] is Tool evil?! moment came when someone heard me playing Die Eir von satan(the eggs of satan) from one of my Tool cd's. It sounds so evil and creepy on the cd......it's Maynard reciting a german cookie recipe.

Upvote 0

JohnPiperFan

Jan 15, 2008
Texas
✟15,136.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Tool's music is not satanic. Maynard's older lyrics were anti hypocrytical religion, but some of their newer music has lyrics with strong Christian themes. For example, the song quoted in the original post, Jambi, says "the devil and his had me down, in love with the dark side I'd found, dabbling all the way down, up to my neck, soon to drown. But YOU changed that all for me, lifted me up, turned me around" and later in the song Maynard sings "Shine on forever, shine on benevolent SON." I feel that this song is actually about Jesus, who alone has the power to change that all for maynard and turn him around, and who is the benevolent, eternal, SON of God.

Also, what does it matter what the intensions of the authors of the music are, whether to glorify self, God, or satan? What matters, as a Christian, is how you listen to and respond to the music. When I hear Tool, I am drawn to glorify and praise God, the creator of amazing music that I love, and it doesn't matter whether the band members are Christians themselves. From a musical standpoint, Tool is extremely good, and probably my favorite band.

Upvote 0

NightCrawler13

Veteran
May 13, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟9,466.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
No, have you heard some other bands, for example my favorite, Slipknot. Just because it says 'devil' doesn't mean its Satanic.
...well if you think about it...they use occoult symbols....and in the song people=$#!+, he says "im sitting at the side of Satan, what do you want from me..."

Upvote 0

WolfBlack

Jan 18, 2008
✟15,141.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
When they played at the Gund Arena in cleveland I worked the show, they had a desecrated star of David and a LOT of bizarre scenery projected on stage. The show was clearlly satanic but as far as their beliefs, I couldn't tell if it was theatre or otherwise. Personally I hold on to 1 Thes 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. My advice is pray about it, if it's time to quit listening to that music, God will convict you.
well the majority of mainstream bands who use any prop involving the occult, or lyrics simply do it as a way to bring shock in order to gain popularity. Ac/Dc began to sing songs about satan because before those songs people accused them of being satanic due to their name, when it was something they saw on the back of a guitar amp "Alternate Current/Direct Current which is with electricity etc.

most of these bands like to take an evil route because it sells in todays world...but in the long run just makes them look silly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say no, but they are fiercely anti-religion and Maynard is an aetheist. That isn't the same as being Satanic becasue they involve themselves in a sphere outside of religious symbolism. If you are concerned about them being Anti-Christian, they are very anti-Christian, but they are against all religion.

Upvote 0

Walpurgis

Jan 28, 2008
✟184.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There's a difference between the meaning and intent of a piece of artwork and the actual views of those who created it. Tool's music is meant to provoke thought and debate rather than push a specific viewpoint. The actual views of each member? I couldn't really say. Maynard is usually vague or contradictory when directly questioned, but is passionately anti organised religion. Justin Chancellor joined the band later and is more about the music than anything else. Adam Jones is a big fan of LSD and alternative thinking.

I think you're using "Satanic" in this thread to refer more to being anti-Christian rather than actual Satanic philosophy or ritual. It's pretty evident that Tool lyrics contain a lot of the former and none of the latter.

Upvote 0

Walpurgis

Jan 28, 2008
✟184.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just because they have these lyrics in their songs doesn't mean they actually believe these things. Most bands that use lyrics like this including Death and Black metal just write these lyrics because they're "badass."
So speaks a man who hasn't read much about the church burnings. The original black metal movement destroyed or tried to destroy over 50 churches in Norway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

À*Travers*Toi

Some Kind of Strange
Feb 3, 2008
✟8,009.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why don't you guys just look at their lyrics for yourself to see what they're about?

Some Snippets:

Opiate: Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life.
Open my eyes and blind me with your light
and your lies.

Sober: Jesus, won't you ****ing whistle
something but the past and done?

Eulogy: Come down.
Get off your ****in' cross.
We need the ****in' space to nail the next fool martyr.

Upvote 0

Walpurgis

Jan 28, 2008
✟184.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why don't you guys just look at their lyrics for yourself to see what they're about?

Some Snippets:

Opiate: Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life.
Open my eyes and blind me with your light
and your lies.

Sober: Jesus, won't you ****ing whistle
something but the past and done?

Eulogy: Come down.
Get off your ****in' cross.
We need the ****in' space to nail the next fool martyr.
Exactly - in answer to the question there's nothing Satanic but the singer has atheist views. It's not Satanic - there's no reference to LaVey's philosophies or rituals. If someone being atheist is enough to put you off their music, well, best throw out all your records.

Upvote 0

À*Travers*Toi

Some Kind of Strange
Feb 3, 2008
✟8,009.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Exactly - in answer to the question there's nothing Satanic but the singer has atheist views. It's not Satanic - there's no reference to LaVey's philosophies or rituals. If someone being atheist is enough to put you off their music, well, best throw out all your records.

I would agree with Tool not being Satanic, but their views do go further than atheism as to be anti-Christian. A lot of secular music may not be about God, but that doesn't mean it's anti-Christian like Tool.

Upvote 0

TheThrill

Man of God
Feb 11, 2008
✟15,371.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Not sure how much help I'll be to the OP. FWIW, I don't consider Tool to be satanic. They are, however, hands down the best concert I've ever been to. Highly recommend seeing them live.

Like their music? Yes

Like their message? Eh, no, wouldn't say that.

Will I continue to listen to them? Yes

Upvote 0