Is Tool a Satanic Band? Are They Religious?

KritickTock

Feb 17, 2008
✟115.00
Faith
Pagan
Hey, I have a Cradle of Filth T shirt that says JESUS IS A [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth].

Is that satanic? What should I do? [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]ing ROBOTS. You don't even do what you wanna do?

I don't have a problem with god, just his fan club.

I'm glad I'm such a badass.

Upvote 0

DaughterofZion63

Feb 1, 2007
Visit site
✟15,467.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
In my years listening to TOOL, there have definitely been some lyrics I have had issues with. Before I go on, I will say, TOOL is NOT anti-Christian!!!!! They are openly anti-religion, "think for yourself, question authority", etc. When Maynard uses phrases that contain "devil", "Jesus Christ", etc., he is not, to my understanding, speaking of them directly, but rather using them as a symbol.

If you have heard the A Perfect Circle (Maynard's former side project) song, "Judith", it at first sounds extremely blasphemous. He says "F your God". But, if you read deeper into it, he is actually cursing "the" God that people from his mother's church worship. She was very ill and continued to be extremely faithful, but people judged her and told her she was sinning and all her suffering was her own fault, etc. Maynard found it very upsetting that people would worship a god who believed such things. Obviously we know God is not like that, but...

On the surface, their lyrics can be very controversial and confusing, misleading, etc. to Christians. And that I do not like at all. Maynard discourages blind faith, or anything of the sort. However, he has said in interviews that he is not anti-Christian. He has even said, on stage, that Jesus Christ was a great person for teaching compassion. That's not to say he is a Christian, but he is not bashing people for being Christians.

I am not saying people should or shouldn't listen to TOOL. It is a personal choice and should only be done if it can be done with a faithful heart- maybe it's possible maybe not.

Upvote 0

OldTimesCruelty

Feb 7, 2007
WI
✟7,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In my years listening to TOOL, there have definitely been some lyrics I have had issues with. Before I go on, I will say, TOOL is NOT anti-Christian!!!!! They are openly anti-religion, "think for yourself, question authority", etc. When Maynard uses phrases that contain "devil", "Jesus Christ", etc., he is not, to my understanding, speaking of them directly, but rather using them as a symbol.

If you have heard the A Perfect Circle (Maynard's former side project) song, "Judith", it at first sounds extremely blasphemous. He says "F your God". But, if you read deeper into it, he is actually cursing "the" God that people from his mother's church worship. She was very ill and continued to be extremely faithful, but people judged her and told her she was sinning and all her suffering was her own fault, etc. Maynard found it very upsetting that people would worship a god who believed such things. Obviously we know God is not like that, but...

On the surface, their lyrics can be very controversial and confusing, misleading, etc. to Christians. And that I do not like at all. Maynard discourages blind faith, or anything of the sort. However, he has said in interviews that he is not anti-Christian. He has even said, on stage, that Jesus Christ was a great person for teaching compassion. That's not to say he is a Christian, but he is not bashing people for being Christians.

I am not saying people should or shouldn't listen to TOOL. It is a personal choice and should only be done if it can be done with a faithful heart- maybe it's possible maybe not.
Excellent post! You're quite right about all of that.

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2017
Bethlehem
✟15,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They are definitely a tool to unlock spirituality. But all but one of their songs, right in two, is either blatantly blasphemous, full of sodomy references or siding with either the devil for gain or the hermetic order of the golden dawn. It's a shame because they have neat music. They did help me on path to Christianity because they are just so dark, sad and generally unfulfilled by the hoodoo they so clearly use to seek out their faith in whatever they pick that day. Good band, great music, definitely satanic through and through

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2017
Bethlehem
✟15,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey, I have a Cradle of Filth T shirt that says JESUS IS A [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth].

Is that satanic? What should I do? [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]ing ROBOTS. You don't even do what you wanna do?

I don't have a problem with god, just his fan club.

I'm glad I'm such a badass.
God's fan club? Just pray on it, the devil can't stand prayer

Upvote 0

Truth_Speaker

Apr 29, 2018
Thorold
✟7,701.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Far too many go on to cheap internet forums to answer questions like, "Is Tool satanic?" Or things like, "Does Iron Maiden worship the devil." There are always hundreds, or sometimes thousands, of "experts" that claim they know the answers to those questions. Christian forums are even more entertaining because the experts seems to get even more ... umm ... knowledgeable.

Speaking as a born again Christian of almost 40 years, with lots of experience and studying under my belt, I can honestly say that unless you are truthfully quoting a band member or you ARE Tool then you haven't got a clue. There are people on here that have said that they absolutely are satanic. Those people are obviously incorrect. Not necessarily because Tool is not satanic, but because the people that made that claim have nothing to back it up with. Then there are the geniuses who say things like, "They are not satanic. Sure, the lyrics may seem satanic and evil on the surface, but you have to really read into the lyrics and see passed the words." Now, those are people who I'd like to speak with personally because I am thinking they probably also have their own twisted version of the Bible too.

If you are a true born again Christian, or are searching and have certain questions, then the question you really should be asking is, "Why am I going through so much trouble trying so hard to find this out?" There are many parts of the Bible that a lot of Christians do not fully understand. Is it, therefore, more important to know if Tool is satanic?

Upvote 0

SaintNick

Jun 10, 2017
US
✟28,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
^Highly deceived. Tool and anyone who makes it Big sells out to the system. Don't be a dunce.
Anyone who is truly born again and has a renewed mind knows to filter what poison he allows into it.
What business does a man of God have putting heathen lyrics in his subconsciousness?

Killing your idol worship is not an easy task.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stringfellow_Hawke

Jul 4, 2018
West Virginia
✟37,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If one wants to deal in absolutes, any band or artist that isn’t solely out to spread the gospel is satanic.

That said, I’ve been a Tool fan for years. My first concert in 2002 when I was 16. MJ Keenan is an atheist from what I understand. His lyrics are from that stand point a lot and usually the bizarre imagery is for shock value. We can sit here and argue all day over whether or not one should or shouldn’t listen but it comes down to you. For me, it’s just a here and there listen.

Upvote 0

Matthew Keenan

Mar 14, 2023
Michigan
✟7,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Celibate
well he is certainly not christen lol in fact hates it but satanic probley not but anyway never listen to there meanings of maynard's lyrics he is normal by no means good singer very smart but has taking too much acid in his time i mean look at there video clips this can't possibley be sane rational music
Not really Satanist maybe started off as a little satanic they have matured into God fearing men after seeing What God has done in their lives over the past 30 plus years . Specially in the lyrics you can tell one has repented and admitted they were wrong.

Upvote 0

Mila.Spirit

Apr 23, 2023
Cundinamarca
✟8,117.00
Country
Colombia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
As a former Tool fan and recent born again Christian I can confirm Tool is blatantly satanic, they disguise it as a joke but this is their belief. On their first EP Opiate which has some cursed priest on the cover, there’s a hidden track called The Gaping Lotus Experience and it is on the 6th track at the 6th minutes and 6th second, and on the chorus of this track they repeat Satan on and on. Danny Carey the drummer is into Enochian magic and has an enochian board, that’s some occult stuff from John Dee to summon entities to bring chaos into this existence. Justin the bassist on a Grammy's award when receive the prize said I wanna thank Satan again as a joke but this is their belief. On their song Hooker with a penis Maynard sings: All you know about me is what I’ve sold you, I sold out long before you ever even heard my name, I sold my soul to make a record, and then you bought one, very honest right there. Music is dangerous, spirits in higher places are influencing listeners, so if you truly believe in Christ, you will depart for the appearance of evil. Occultism is truly satanism because you are worshiping something other than God the Heavenly Father, whether it is yourself or some demon or Lucifer, whatever it is. As it is written in Matthew 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟400,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I've Been Listening to Tool, Once in a While and i found one song with Questionable lyrics....and it said
"The devil with his had me down
In love with the dark side I'd found"

ok im confused now, does anyone have answers for this?
Long time tool fan here.

I literally ohsessed over them when I wasn't a believer. It's hard to say this, but yes, they are not Christian at all.

It's sad because they have a "good" sound.

I haven't been able to listen to them for the last 10 years of being a Christian, i've stumbled but I know I cannot listen to them.

Instead replace them with Godly soundtracks and good music if you can find it.

Upvote 0