• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured Is tithing mandatory?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by lambofgod43985889, Jan 29, 2020.

1. lambofgod43985889

lambofgod43985889 Well-Known Member Supporter

+360
    Chile
    Protestant
    Private
    i really don't know

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. lismore

lismore Maranatha

+2,661
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Deuteronomy chapters 12, 14 and 26 show the Laws for tithing, what the Jews had to do and where.

For example: Deut 14:23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.

God Bless :)

3. lambofgod43985889

+360
    Chile
    Protestant
    Private
    but in jesus' times?

4. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+6,940
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    That's not the big issue. The big issue is that it can improve your finances dramatically.

You can save more money and give more to charity, and increase your well being, and more.

Tithing helps you prioritize and save for Financial Independence.
    (early retirement)

5. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+41,829
    Christian
    Tithing is for Jews, and was carried into Israel as a nation to help support the Levitical Priesthood which isn't a part of Christianity. Christians don't have to tithe we are instructed to give but no suggested percentage exists in New Testament writings.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. lismore

lismore Maranatha

+2,661
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Jews in Jesus day would be keeping the Law of Israel, eating the tithe in Jerusalem on the feast of First fruits. God Bless :)

Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.

7. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+10,719
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Give what your heart tells you to give.
    Giving feels good but, shouldn't hurt.
    M-Bob

8. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+2,104
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Get ready for lots of talk and no answers

9. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,555
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    No. It was the Jewish form of taxation. It was not only financial, but also in the form of farm produce to support the Levites who were not permitted to earn their own income.

Christians are encouraged to give of their free will at a level which they can afford. We already pay our income tax to the Government, and this is the actual equivalent of the tithe required by the Jews.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. joshua 1 9

joshua 1 9 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,544
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It is mandatory to pay the bills and that is how the bills get paid.

11. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Member since 2005 Supporter

+1,068
    United States
    Baptist
    Private

12. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+10,914
    Anabaptist
    It was described by Yahweh for some.
    Not for everyone.
    Today, the false teachings far far outnumber the truth.
    Yet Yahweh (God) says if any man lacks Wisdom , to ask of Him, as He gives generously to all men and without rebuke, unless they are doubleminded.

So, from Yahweh (God), seek the Truth, seek His Wisdom, seek His Understanding (all in Jesus),
    and be content in Him.

13. Yekcidmij

Yekcidmij Polymath

+1,205
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    At least in ancient Israel, tithing was taxation. There was no "separation of church and state." The tithe was a tax.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,664
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    Tithing was a thing way before the Law mandated it. Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizidek. The OT codified the tithe. Abel offered a sacrifice to God, taken from his flock. So tithing is not limited to the time after the law was introduced.

Giving generally is encouraged throughout God's word. It is God's way to break the hold of money over our lives and allows Him to bless us His way. Someone has said that tithing is just not robbing God.

Tithing can be legalistic and proud, as the Lord Jesus said about the Pharisees. It also true that a tiny amount may be far more impressive to God than the gifts of a rich man. The easy way to approach it is to consider everything you have as God's. We have nothing that we were not given, one way or another. We should seek to become joyful givers.

I lived for a long time in fear of giving as I struggled financially. When I opened my wallet, God proved to me over and over again that He has me covered. My needs are always met abundantly.

One of the greatest Christians ever, Watchman Nee, said that God has not got your heart until He has your wallet. He kept very little for his own needs but God always provided for him and his family.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,957
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    As someone else pointed out the tithe was never money it was always plants or animals, things that the Lord had directly created.
    Money was never accepted as a tithe.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Curtis.Hilliker

Curtis.Hilliker Now what.......

+693
    United States
    Charismatic
    Engaged
    US-Others
    I gave more than a tithe for about a decade, now I am borderline poor and make about thirty percent of what I used to make. So don’t expect some kind of financial blessing if you do it. I would say if you honestly have a problem of loving money than do it, it will help free you from that. If you feel compelled to give you can send me money through Apple Pay...just kidding.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. tturt

tturt Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,049
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Every area of our lives are to be surrendered to The Lord.

18. lambofgod43985889

+360
    Chile
    Protestant
    Private
    you don't know also because you don't give your belief respect to tithe

19. tturt

tturt Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,049
    Non-Denom
    Married