USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe Tithes are an act of worship because the monies help advance the kingdom of God.
Yet the kingdom of God is not of this world......so how can monies advance it?

Im all for giving 10% of our money to churches, by the way, if we so choose.

Upvote 0

iamchance

Oct 22, 2019
Dallas
✟8,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yet the kingdom of God is not of this world......so how can monies advance it?

Im all for giving 10% of our money to churches, by the way, if we so choose.

Good question. Maybe I can present some answers.

The monies can be used to:
  • Build new churches to expand the word of God
  • Build new church-owned homeless shelters to help those in poverty and lead them to Christ.
  • Be used to create brochures, media, etc. to lead people back to the church and gospel.
  • Be used towards ministry services at church.
  • Be used to help provide basic resources for church members or those in need (housing, food, transportation, etc.)
That's just a few ideas that come to mind. If the monies are being used to grow the body of Christ to create more followers then by all means, that's advancing the Kingdom of God on Earth. The world may belong to the enemy, but God is everywhere and His gospel is to be shared by us.

Matthew 25:34
Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good question. Maybe I can present some answers.

The monies can be used to:
  • Build new churches to expand the word of God
  • Build new church-owned homeless shelters to help those in poverty and lead them to Christ.
  • Be used to create brochures, media, etc. to lead people back to the church and gospel.
  • Be used towards ministry services at church.
  • Be used to help provide basic resources for church members or those in need (housing, food, transportation, etc.)
That's just a few ideas that come to mind. If the monies are being used to grow the body of Christ to create more followers then by all means, that's advancing the Kingdom of God on Earth. The world may belong to the enemy, but God is everywhere.

Matthew 25:34
Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world.
If this is the job of the tithe.....what are the offerings for? and if the offerings can be used for the same thing, why would the tithe be necessary.

In the OT there was a time the temple was destroy and the current king wanted to rebuild it with the help of the people.....he sit up an offering box (which i believe is where the current church got the idea of a tithing box) in which the people offered whatever they wanted....whenever they wanted, until the funds were raised to rebuild.

Do you find this idea, no longer good enough for today?

Upvote 0

iamchance

Oct 22, 2019
Dallas
✟8,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If this is the job of the tithe.....what are the offerings for? and if the offerings can be used for the same thing, why would the tithe be necessary.

In the OT there was a time the temple was destroy and the current king wanted to rebuild it with the help of the people.....he sit up an offering box (which i believe is where the current church got the idea of a tithing box) in which the people offered whatever they wanted....whenever they wanted, until the funds were raised to rebuild.

Do you find this idea, no longer good enough for today?

Tithes and Offerings have different benefits.

With a Tithe, it's easier for a church to build a reoccurring donation, that way they can gauge the funds coming in. For example, at my church when I tithe there's an option to do a one-time donation or you can set up a reoccurring tithe. Churches can forecast their income and what to do with it based off YoY (Year over Year) Quarterly or Monthly performance and determine the best way to use the resource to advance the Kingdom of God. Yes, churches use information systems and reporting, too.

With Offerings, it's not as track-able, and it's more sporadic. It isn't as commitment based as a Tithe is. Also, look at it from this perspective, my local church does not ask for offerings. At all, not once since I started attending a year ago has my church asked for monies. The reason? My church believes that asking for monies during service distracts from the gospel of Jesus Christ and can actually scare away the people exploring God for the first time. You can see why, right? You come to visit and learn about God and then boom! Somebody is asking for money.

Now to answer your question, that idea is EXACTLY the way it should be, from my perspective. Please keep in mind, a lot of churches directly ask for offerings and tithes and make a point to, but not all churches do that. Whether Tithing or Offering, you are never forced to give nor should a church ever make you feel that way. Some may feel pressured all on their own though. If a church is being forceful about giving monies, I might suggest speaking to their leadership or finding another church.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With a Tithe, it's easier for a church to build a reoccurring donation, that way they can gauge the funds coming in. For example, at my church when I tithe there's an option to do a one-time donation or you can set up a reoccurring tithe. Churches can forecast their income and what to do with it based off YoY (Year over Year) Quarterly or Monthly performance and determine the best way to use the resource to advance the Kingdom of God. Yes, churches use information systems and reporting, too.

With Offerings, it's not as track-able, and it's more sporadic. It isn't as commitment based as a Tithe is.
I agree tithe is better for business and book keeping in general. A steady monthly subscription is more predictable than on off purchases every now and then.

Also, look at it from this perspective, my local church does not ask for offerings. At all, not once since I started attending a year ago has my church asked for monies. The reason? My church believes that asking for monies during service distracts from the gospel of Jesus Christ and can actually scare away the people exploring God for the first time. You can see why, right? You come to visit and learn about God and then boom! Somebody is asking for money.
Cool practice....it is better to reel in the customers fully before stating the price of admission. When salesmen come to my door, they try to put product in my hand first and never talk about dollars until the end, when they believe they already had me sold with their words.

I see no fault in getting a offering in church, since there in no place you can go and be entertained for free.....so why help other businesses but not the church? Yet I do feel that your method could be more profitable in the long run.

Now to answer your question, that idea is EXACTLY the way it should be, from my perspective. Please keep in mind, a lot of churches directly ask for offerings and tithes and make a point to, but not all churches do that. Whether Tithing or Offering, you are never forced to give nor should a church ever make you feel that way. Some may feel pressured all on their own though. If a church is being forceful about giving monies, I might suggest speaking to their leadership or finding another church.
These statements seem to counter the commitment which we agreed would help the church more than random offering giving. If the consumer is never made to feel some kind of obligation to enter a monthly subscription, how can the books be successfully managed? It would seem that there has to be some pressure given to give. What is the value proposition?

Now that the business talk it out of the way. What you feel about any spiritual ramifications of giving or not giving a monetary tithe to a church?

Upvote 0

iamchance

Oct 22, 2019
Dallas
✟8,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree tithe is better for business and book keeping in general. A steady monthly subscription is more predictable than on off purchases every now and then.

Cool practice....it is better to reel in the customers fully before stating the price of admission. When salesmen come to my door, they try to put product in my hand first and never talk about dollars until the end, when they believe they already had me sold with their words.

I see no fault in getting a offering in church, since there in no place you can go and be entertained for free.....so why help other businesses but not the church? Yet I do feel that your method could be more profitable in the long run.

These statements seem to counter the commitment which we agreed would help the church more than random offering giving. If the consumer is never made to feel some kind of obligation to enter a monthly subscription, how can the books be successfully managed? It would seem that there has to be some pressure given to give. What is the value proposition?

Now that the business talk it out of the way. What you feel about any spiritual ramifications of giving or not giving a monetary tithe to a church?

I appreciate your perspective and input, I will say that I don't view church members as consumers. While businesses, churches, etc. can be synonymous in how they are operationally run, with the proper Christian perspective, people are people, and not viewed as consumers.

Okay, moving on to the question on spiritual ramifications. The bible says we should tithe, in Leviticus it says we should give 10% of all of our income. I view this as a part of Sanctification, but I have never been taught that this jeopardizes our Salvation. I don't believe this gives us a reason to ignore tithes or offerings, but not everybody is in a position to give yet. I'm not sure if the Bible speaks on spiritual ramifications for not tithing, it isn't something I've studied. If you have some biblical input on that I would love for you to share.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible says we should tithe, in Leviticus it says we should give 10% of all of our income.

Should we also do the rest of the requirements in Leviticus?

Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19), Trimming your beard (19:27), or Blasphemy (punishable by stoning to death) (24:14)

Upvote 0

iamchance

Oct 22, 2019
Dallas
✟8,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should we also do the rest of the requirements in Leviticus?

Mixing fabrics in clothing (19:19), Trimming your beard (19:27), or Blasphemy (punishable by stoning to death) (24:14)

Fair response. Let’s keep in mind that Levictus is the Old Testament. Im not so sure mixing fabrics and beard trimming are in the New Testament, but tithing is.

1 Corinthians 16:2

Some further research led to 2 Corinthians 9:6-7, which pretty much does away with the 10% rule, but still speaks about tithing. From what I’ve gathered, tithing is apart of the Christian walk, but isn’t a requirement. Tithing does not interfere with Salvation.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible says we should tithe, in Leviticus it says we should give 10% of all of our income. I view this as a part of Sanctification

From what I’ve gathered, tithing is apart of the Christian walk, but isn’t a requirement.

So do you believe now that sanctification is not a requirement for salvation?

Or should be not even be concerned about a tithes as money and maybe not even mention it anymore? And wouldnt this have a negative effect on the church book keeping, that you mentioned earlier?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate your perspective and input, I will say that I don't view church members as consumers. While businesses, churches, etc. can be synonymous in how they are operationally run, with the proper Christian perspective, people are people, and not viewed as consumers.

I was just going alone with your narrative......We can call them something more holy-like, if you prefer....we would have to also, then, stop speaking of them in terms of entities used to help balance books and keep buildings open and organisational bills paid. I would welcome this, actually.

I'm not sure if the Bible speaks on spiritual ramifications for not tithing, it isn't something I've studied. If you have some biblical input on that I would love for you to share.

The whole bible is spiritual. The letter killeth, but the spirit maketh alive. "Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual."

And "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: "
When we can get the natural side of tithing out the way.....we can move forward.

Upvote 0

iamchance

Oct 22, 2019
Dallas
✟8,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So do you believe now that sanctification is not a requirement for salvation?

Do I believe now that sanctification is not a requirement for salvation?

I stated that in my earlier post, in the beginning, that tithing was a apart of Sanctification, but I have never been taught that it jeopardizes Salvation. It doesn't and it isn't a requirement for Salvation. Now as Christians, we are suppose to follow Christ and become more Christ-like as we explore the faith, but none will ever be perfect. Romans 3:23
The bible says we should tithe, in Leviticus it says we should give 10% of all of our income. I view this as a part of Sanctification, but I have never been taught that this jeopardizes our Salvation.

I'm failing to understand your higher level, point. What are you getting at? Do you have a point or are you just playing Devil's Advocate? Truly asking.

The whole bible is spiritual. The letter killeth, but the spirit maketh alive. "Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual."

And "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: "
When we can get the natural side of tithing out the way.....we can move forward.
I believe I know the next step to take in this discussion. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do I believe now that sanctification is not a requirement for salvation?

I stated that in my earlier post, in the beginning, that tithing was a apart of Sanctification, but I have never been taught that it jeopardizes Salvation. It doesn't and it isn't a requirement for Salvation. Now as Christians, we are suppose to follow Christ and become more Christ-like as we explore the faith, but none will ever be perfect. Romans 3:23

I'm failing to understand your higher level, point. What are you getting at? Do you have a point or are you just playing Devil's Advocate? Truly asking.

I believe I know the next step to take in this discussion. :)
Was just trying to understand what is it that you believe. Yet everytime I go alone with an answer, you change it up. It's almost like, it sounds good when you say it, but if i repeat it, it sounds wrong to you. So I think I'll move on now.

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fair response. Let’s keep in mind that Levictus is the Old Testament. Im not so sure mixing fabrics and beard trimming are in the New Testament, but tithing is.

1 Corinthians 16:2

Some further research led to 2 Corinthians 9:6-7, which pretty much does away with the 10% rule, but still speaks about tithing. From what I’ve gathered, tithing is apart of the Christian walk, but isn’t a requirement. Tithing does not interfere with Salvation.

Helping the ministry as you are enabled without any set obligation. In reality that is a much higher bar than a 10% requirement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some times we are asked of God to give, what would amount to, greater than 10% of our monthly income.

One who feels obligated to give only 10% would question whether or not God would require more than that.....and lose their blessing, in disobedience.

One could also argue that any blessings are lost with the thought of giving 10% as an obligation anyway...

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Know some question tithing because it's in the Old Testament.

Yeshua watched the offering plate and noticed who gave and how much. Then He remarked "For they all put in from their abundance, but she from her need has put in everything she had - all she had to live on.” (Mark 12:44). Seems like Yeshua would have taken the opportunity to tell His disciples that soon tithes/offerings/giving wouldnt need be given if that was going to be the case. Or do we think He let the poor widow put in everything she had without blessing her as promised in Mal 3:10?

We give and then He blesses what we have left.

I dont know of any area of our lives that Yahweh doesn"t want us to be surrendered to Him. A cheerful giver reflects a submitted attitude to Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've heard a couple of pastors on TV and a local church in my area claim that tithing is an act of worship to God. Are there any scriptures in the bible that support this?

Tithing was a command under the Old Covenant. That law was done away with. The new Covenant asks us to give to our ability. That could be 10% or it could be 50%.

Upvote 0