California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have been doing a lot of discussing in various forums, where the idea of time travel has come up repeatedly. Then, just yesterday, I watched Avengers: Endgame - Wikipedia (spoiler alert), and time travel, once again, entered my consciousness.

I remember, years ago, that I proposed the idea that a lie is sinful, because it is actually the theft of someone's (whoever is being lied to) time.

Anyways, all this has brought me to wonder if the concept (perhaps reality?) of time travel, has played a role in the cosmic war between good and evil.

Thoughts?

*I mean, aren't we all time traveling into the future?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: DennisTate

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
"There is a great deal of observable evidence for time dilation in special relativity[56] and gravitational time dilation in general relativity,[57][58][59] for example in the famous and easy-to-replicate observation of atmospheric muon decay.[60][61][62] The theory of relativity states that the speed of light is invariant for all observers in any frame of reference; that is, it is always the same. Time dilation is a direct consequence of the invariance of the speed of light.[62] Time dilation may be regarded in a limited sense as "time travel into the future": a person may use time dilation so that a small amount of proper time passes for them, while a large amount of proper time passes elsewhere. This can be achieved by traveling at relativistic speeds or through the effects of gravity.[63]

For two identical clocks moving relative to each other without accelerating, each clock measures the other to be ticking slower. This is possible due to the relativity of simultaneity. However, the symmetry is broken if one clock accelerates, allowing for less proper time to pass for one clock than the other. The twin paradox describes this: one twin remains on Earth, while the other undergoes acceleration to relativistic speed as they travel into space, turn around, and travel back to Earth; the traveling twin ages less than the twin who stayed on Earth, because of the time dilation experienced during their acceleration. General relativity treats the effects of acceleration and the effects of gravity as equivalent, and shows that time dilation also occurs in gravity wells, with a clock deeper in the well ticking more slowly; this effect is taken into account when calibrating the clocks on the satellites of the Global Positioning System, and it could lead to significant differences in rates of aging for observers at different distances from a large gravity well such as a black hole.[23]:33–130

A time machine that utilizes this principle might be, for instance, a spherical shell with a diameter of 5 meters and the mass of Jupiter. A person at its center will travel forward in time at a rate four times that of distant observers. Squeezing the mass of a large planet into such a small structure is not expected to be within humanity's technological capabilities in the near future.[23]:76–140 With current technologies, it is only possible to cause a human traveler to age less than companions on Earth by a few milliseconds, the current record being about 20 milliseconds for the cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev.[64]"
Time travel - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think there's enough sins already to deal with without trying to dig up any more.

"Dig", huh...interesting word usage...a time dig...

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been doing a lot of discussing in various forums, where the idea of time travel has come up repeatedly. Then, just yesterday, I watched Avengers: Endgame - Wikipedia (spoiler alert), and time travel, once again, entered my consciousness.

I remember, years ago, that I proposed the idea that a lie is sinful, because it is actually the theft of someone's (whoever is being lied to) time.

Anyways, all this has brought me to wonder if the concept (perhaps reality?) of time travel, has played a role in the cosmic war between good and evil.

Thoughts?

For mortals, time travel would be a sin.

No mortal can think of the implications of their actions for the next century, let alone over an eternity (i.e. when the mortal that made the decision is long gone, and the consequences have come up). Mortals die, so mortals do not have the depth and range to consider the implications and consequences.

Immortals are likely allowed to time travel, but I am sure there are restrictions for them, also.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Thoughts?

We are not time travelling into the future.

We experience reality as past and present.

Only God sees things as they really are, which means His eternala NOW.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I used to say that time travel was impossible. I no longer say that as such, though I suspect it is probably impossible. However, if it is possible, then it would appear that God allows such and then I would say that it is not necessarily a sin, unless someone intends to do evil via time travel.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I used to say that time travel was impossible. I no longer say that as such, though I suspect it is probably impossible. However, if it is possible, then it would appear that God allows such and then I would say that it is not necessarily a sin, unless someone intends to do evil via time travel.

It is possible. Tesla allegedly did it already - although he didn't actually dislocate in space. He had a temporal dislocation of +/- t > 0.

Technically time travel technology is right in everyone's faces under different names, but it doesn't matter about conspiracy - the physics to time travel is already here. The only thing that prevents it on a pedestrian/wide scale is that it would cost an incredible amount of money to manufacture the parts necessary to 1) test it on such a scale, and 2) get approval for such a device of travel. Of course, this is all assuming we (at some point) stop fighting over the abundance of resources this planet has. Otherwise, it will stay "impossible" because "we" will never get a hint it exists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Its the teaching of time travel a sin?

Not is time travel a sin?

You can not ask both as one is impossible to do.

That's an interesting point. I believe that the Bible certainly speaks (implicitly at least) of time travel...in a sense; this sense being prophecy (seeing into the future). Also, some of the events in the Bible could be associated with the idea of time travel,e.g., Acts 8:26-40 (teleportation); Joshua 10:13 (sun stood still); and:

"it would be fair to say that God does not experience time in the same narrow way that human beings do (2 Timothy 1:9; Genesis 1:1; 2 Peter 3:8). There are also instances in the Bible where men are granted visions of the future (Revelation 1:9–11; Daniel 7:13–14). One could argue that John, for example, in the book of Revelation had an opportunity to “time travel” into the future in order to observe the events of the apocalypse."
Does the Bible say anything about the possibility of time travel?

But,:

"The Bible also seems to indicate that time travel into the past is not possible for human beings. God alone is beyond time, and hence He alone knows the future. In Isaiah 46:9-10 the Lord says, “I am God, and there is none like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done.” Only God can say at a given time what will certainly happen at a later time. Humans can only make educated guesses. But if time travel into the past were possible, then we could simply jump back to 1970 and know with certainty what will happen over the next four-and-a-half decades. This contradicts God’s claim that He alone can declare those things that have not yet happened.

Also, in regard to His coming, Jesus said, “But of that day and hour no one knows…but My Father only.”6 But if we could travel through time, we could jump ahead to the moment of His return and then come back to the present. Then we too could know the day and hour. Of course, God is beyond time and could move a person forward or backward through time in a self-consistent way without any paradoxes. He has full knowledge of the past, present, and future. But our human ability to time travel is quite limited."
Time Travel

So, for us to be too wrapped up in the concept, may indeed be unwise.

*Yet, it seems that we are being inundated with the idea of it from all sides...

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Dig", huh...interesting word usage...a time dig...
I can dig it. And I agree that we do not need to manufacture sins, whether we imagine them or dig them up.

If God has clearly not prohibited it, it should not be a sin. Read my siggy for the reason why I say that.

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I can dig it. And I agree that we do not need to manufacture sins, whether we imagine them or dig them up.

If God has clearly not prohibited it, it should not be a sin. Read my siggy for the reason why I say that.

So, it's kind of like asking if using the Internet is a sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's an interesting point. I believe that the Bible certainly speaks (implicitly at least) of time travel...in a sense; this sense being prophecy (seeing into the future). Also, some of the events in the Bible could be associated with the idea of time travel,e.g., Acts 8:26-40 (teleportation); Joshua 10:13 (sun stood still); and:

"it would be fair to say that God does not experience time in the same narrow way that human beings do (2 Timothy 1:9; Genesis 1:1; 2 Peter 3:8). There are also instances in the Bible where men are granted visions of the future (Revelation 1:9–11; Daniel 7:13–14). One could argue that John, for example, in the book of Revelation had an opportunity to “time travel” into the future in order to observe the events of the apocalypse."
Does the Bible say anything about the possibility of time travel?

But,:

"The Bible also seems to indicate that time travel into the past is not possible for human beings. God alone is beyond time, and hence He alone knows the future. In Isaiah 46:9-10 the Lord says, “I am God, and there is none like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done.” Only God can say at a given time what will certainly happen at a later time. Humans can only make educated guesses. But if time travel into the past were possible, then we could simply jump back to 1970 and know with certainty what will happen over the next four-and-a-half decades. This contradicts God’s claim that He alone can declare those things that have not yet happened.

Also, in regard to His coming, Jesus said, “But of that day and hour no one knows…but My Father only.”6 But if we could travel through time, we could jump ahead to the moment of His return and then come back to the present. Then we too could know the day and hour. Of course, God is beyond time and could move a person forward or backward through time in a self-consistent way without any paradoxes. He has full knowledge of the past, present, and future. But our human ability to time travel is quite limited."
Time Travel

So, for us to be too wrapped up in the concept, may indeed be unwise.

*Yet, it seems that we are being inundated with the idea of it from all sides...
There is no time in the Kingdom of God.

• Agree
Reactions: blackribbon
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the evidence for that is ... ?
God exists outside of time and so will we when we are resurrected.
"But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. "

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thoughts?
I think your time would be better spent memorizing bible chapters.
That's not a sin.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think your time would be better spent memorizing bible chapters.
That's not a sin.

What if I've memorized the entire Bible...? And also, remember what you said when you're out playing golf...

:comeon:

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0