Is this who we are as Christians? Is this who Christ is?

Godcreatedsteve

Apr 11, 2012
✟458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to the gospel preached in many churches today, Jesus made a serious error: Rather than taxing the wealthy young job-creator to create another entitlement for the shiftless poor, he should have inquired as to whether he opposed the gay marriage. The ‘Good News’ that was originally intended for the poor and oppressed has been completely transformed into great news for the more greedy and hateful: permission to continue defrauding the poor so long as they bash gays.

A recent poll found that the three words young people (those 16-29 who don’t regularly attend church) used most to describe Christians are 1. anti-homosexual – 91% 2. judgmental – 87%, and 3. hypocritical – 86%. And the numbers aren’t much better among young people who regularly attend church.[1]

“If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.” (Joh 15:22) Jesus came to expose the hypocrisy of folks who seemed religious. That’s why they crucified him. And they’re still crucifying him in their neglect of the poor and their virulent persecution of the most persecuted in our society. “Inasmuch as you have done it unto one the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me.” (Mt 25:40)

[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] David Kinnaman, Un-Christian: What a New Generation Really Thinks About Christianity (Baker Books, 2007), page 34.

Upvote 0

Texan40

seeking wisdom
Feb 8, 2010
Houston, TX
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is a loving Christian supposed to appease the worldview of a population that doesn't think that absolute morality exists? When you state that homosexual sexual behavior is a sin (regardless of whether or not you pretext it with being "just another sin" and not special in any way) you are labeled a homophobe. Depending on where you live you can even be charged with "hate speech." We cannot base our morals on the reactions of others or on a constantly shifting "value system" worldview. We should always do to others that which we would have done to us and not do that which we would not have done to us. We are likewise to love our persecutors and to stand on God. We are not to be a stumbling block to others by legitimizing their sin or by driving them from Christ with an attitude of judgement. It's a fine line.

Reactions: Petunia
Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

How is a loving Christian supposed to appease the worldview of a population that doesn't think that absolute morality exists? When you state that homosexual sexual behavior is a sin (regardless of whether or not you pretext it with being "just another sin" and not special in any way) you are labeled a homophobe. Depending on where you live you can even be charged with "hate speech." We cannot base our morals on the reactions of others or on a constantly shifting "value system" worldview. We should always do to others that which we would have done to us and not do that which we would not have done to us. We are likewise to love our persecutors and to stand on God. We are not to be a stumbling block to others by legitimizing their sin or by driving them from Christ with an attitude of judgement. It's a fine line.
Good post. What is absolute morality and is the nonviolence stand included?

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

According to the gospel preached in many churches today, Jesus made a serious error: Rather than taxing the wealthy young job-creator to create another entitlement for the shiftless poor, he should have inquired as to whether he opposed the gay marriage. The ‘Good News’ that was originally intended for the poor and oppressed has been completely transformed into great news for the more greedy and hateful: permission to continue defrauding the poor so long as they bash gays.

A recent poll found that the three words young people (those 16-29 who don’t regularly attend church) used most to describe Christians are 1. anti-homosexual – 91% 2. judgmental – 87%, and 3. hypocritical – 86%. And the numbers aren’t much better among young people who regularly attend church.[1]

“If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.” (Joh 15:22) Jesus came to expose the hypocrisy of folks who seemed religious. That’s why they crucified him. And they’re still crucifying him in their neglect of the poor and their virulent persecution of the most persecuted in our society. “Inasmuch as you have done it unto one the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me.” (Mt 25:40)

[FONT=&quot][1][/FONT] David Kinnaman, Un-Christian: What a New Generation Really Thinks About Christianity (Baker Books, 2007), page 34.
Thanks for the information. To see if those numbers are accurate all one has to do is read through CF threads.

Upvote 0

Texan40

seeking wisdom
Feb 8, 2010
Houston, TX
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good post. What is absolute morality and is the nonviolence stand included?

I would define absolute morality as the will of God for our lives as outlined in His commandments, in His Word, in the teachings and life of Jesus, and in the comfort and guidance of His Holy Spirit. Who but the Creator ultimately knows what is good and beneficial for us? I choose to put my trust in Him. I will likely be ridiculed by "the world" and perhaps even endure more serious or violent treatment because of my beliefs. Jesus said if they hated Him then how much more will they hate those who choose to follow Him? This is something I have had to come to terms with, and I am by birth a natural people pleaser. Now the one I live and serve to please is not popular opinion, not even my own opinions, but God.

Reactions: Petunia
Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

I would define absolute morality as the will of God for our lives as outlined in His commandments, in His Word, in the teachings and life of Jesus, and in the comfort and guidance of His Holy Spirit. Who but the Creator ultimately knows what is good and beneficial for us? I choose to put my trust in Him. I will likely be ridiculed by "the world" and perhaps even endure more serious or violent treatment because of my beliefs. Jesus said if they hated Him then how much more will they hate those who choose to follow Him? This is something I have had to come to terms with, and I am by birth a natural people pleaser. Now the one I live and serve to please is not popular opinion, not even my own opinions, but God.
Sounds good to me, many folks are singled out for persecution in what they believe. In many parts of the Arabian Peninsula Americans are ridiculed for being American and sometimes killed. So, don't feel left out, there is much hate in the world to go on for a very long time.

Upvote 0

Godcreatedsteve

Apr 11, 2012
✟458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How is a loving Christian supposed to appease the worldview of a population that doesn't think that absolute morality exists?

Perhaps by minding their own business and dealing with the log in their own eye (Matt 7:5), rather that using others as scapegoats so they can pretend to be holier than thou.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is a loving Christian supposed to appease the worldview of a population that doesn't think that absolute morality exists?

They're not supposed to appease, but be a Living Example.

Upvote 0

Texan40

seeking wisdom
Feb 8, 2010
Houston, TX
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps by minding their own business and dealing with the log in their own eye (Matt 7:5), rather that using others as scapegoats so they can pretend to be holier than thou.

I seriously doubt that wanting to be "holier than thou" is the motivation for most concerned Christians. I am well aware of my sinful nature and do not look to compare or contrast it with other sinners for my own benefit. My judgement will be personal, not corporate. I do not feel that sticking my head in the sand in this way is required. If I see the governors of my country engaging in (or suggesting we should engage in) policy that I disagree with I will speak out against that policy. I know that those in favor will speak out also and have every Constitutional right to do so just as I do.

Upvote 0

WilliamB

Apr 21, 2011
Miami, FL
✟2,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I seriously doubt that wanting to be "holier than thou" is the motivation for most concerned Christians. I am well aware of my sinful nature and do not look to compare or contrast it with other sinners for my own benefit. My judgement will be personal, not corporate. I do not feel that sticking my head in the sand in this way is required. If I see the governors of my country engaging in (or suggesting we should engage in) policy that I disagree with I will speak out against that policy. I know that those in favor will speak out also and have every Constitutional right to do so just as I do.

If what you say hurts someone else, you've already violated Christs commands. The Constitution does not give us a pass on love one another as ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
They're not supposed to appease, but be a Living Example.

Neither are we to control, or pressure, or dominate.

We are to serve, be subject, and minister through our word and behavior.

St. Paul doesn't say we should be subject to the governing authorities because the governing authorities are awesome, but because the Christian's purpose is to live peaceably in an unpeaceful world, live humbly and with gentleness, kindness, and respect in this world toward all without partiality. Even in a hostile society such as that of Nero's Rome. (Never read Romans 13 without first reading Romans 12).

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Blackwater Babe

Jan 10, 2011
United States
✟8,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Question for that pastor..

If they would "Die out because they can't reproduce" where did they come from in the first place?
Interesting point, if you put all the heterosexual men in an electrified cage, and all the heterosexual women in another, then heterosexuals will die out because they can't reproduce, too.

Upvote 0
T

Theofane

If what you say hurts someone else, you've already violated Christs commands. The Constitution does not give us a pass on love one another as ourselves.

It encourages you to be selfish and not give a damn about others. The rich hide behind it to justify their greed and misanthropy. But that's why Church and State are separate, I suppose.

Upvote 0

Texan40

seeking wisdom
Feb 8, 2010
Houston, TX
✟8,687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Speaking out against gay marriage being made a government mandate specifically "hurts" an individual how? As a voting member of the country my silence denotes de facto assent, which is not the case. Are my only options as a Christian and a voter open assent or de facto assent?

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

Speaking out against gay marriage being made a government mandate specifically "hurts" an individual how? As a voting member of the country my silence denotes de facto assent, which is not the case. Are my only options as a Christian and a voter open assent or de facto assent?
Doesn't the 14th Amendment cover ALL US Citizens?

Upvote 0