Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I would LOVE to order some icons of Christ and the Theotokos. However, I am a Roman Catholic Christian not Orthodox. I find them more...stunning that the statues I have..(I have nothing against the statues, they're beautiful too). I also would like a prayer rope?

What do you think?

H

HalupkiMonster

The Eastern rite of the Catholic Church has used icons, prayer ropes, and all things Eastern for a very long time. It is absolutely within your own Catholic heritage (and the heritage of all Christians) to use these devotional items. :)

If you like, skete.com has some amazing icons. bridgebuilding.com also has icons of Roman Catholic saints (like this one of St. Therese of Lisieux).

As for a prayer rope/chotki, find an Orthodox or Byzantine Catholic monastery. Monks and nuns usually make these, and sell them in their gift shop. You can buy one if you write to them. (I recommend the prayer ropes made by Fr. Moses of the monastery on Vashon Island, WA).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would LOVE to order some icons of Christ and the Theotokos. However, I am a Roman Catholic Christian not Orthodox. I find them more...stunning that the statues I have..(I have nothing against the statues, they're beautiful too). I also would like a prayer rope?

What do you think?
Go for it.

My stepmom (Orthodox) just took an icon class from a Ukrainian Catholic priest and said that icons are starting to become a little more popular with Rome these days.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
OH - and a word of warning :) I'm sure the others will back me up on this :p

Once you have your first Icon - beware - more will follow .

Don't ask me how I know this :D
:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Riley, why don't you run down and talk to an Orthodox priest, get chrismated, THEN get the icons!? ;):p:p
Well? I have certain issues that need to be understood first, to be fair. :D:p

Upvote 0

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟22,692.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

What do you think?

Yes.

Just kidding, it's not strange at all. I have all those things.
And yes, get one, and more will follow.
I bought one once because I thought it was pretty, little did I know.
I have about a dozen icons, three Chotkis, two or three Orthodox prayerbooks, and a Lestovka. I bet most people here don't have a lestovka. I WIN. :p

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have about a dozen icons, three Chotkis, two or three Orthodox prayerbooks, and a Lestovka. I bet most people here don't have a lestovka. I WIN. :p

pfffft, I scoff! I have stones from Spruce Island and miraculous oil from the relics of St Job of Pochaev.

Upvote 0

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟22,692.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
pfffft, I scoff! I have stones from Spruce Island and miraculous oil from the relics of St Job of Pochaev.

But do you have a lestovka? If not, then pfffft to you.
And I wasn't counting my RC or OO stuff. :p

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But do you have a lestovka? If not, then pfffft to you.
And I wasn't counting my RC or OO stuff. :p

no I don't, and I wasn't counting AAAALLLLLLLL my stuff. so I see your pfffft, and I raise you a crossed arm shoulder shrug with a smug grin.

Upvote 0