Is this totally based on the congregation?

Kllrbee

Nov 28, 2019
RICHMOND
✟9,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Im going to an LCMS church for the first time.
I should give a little background first. Raised Catholic...walked away from any faith for many years. I wont get into that here, but I did.
God has restored faith in me and I have been trying to find my footing for the last few months. My beliefs and preferences line up almost exactly with Lutheran, especially LCMS.
BUT...this is all thru reading. I have never gone to a Lutheran service....much less LCMS specifically.
Can I expect to just go and kind of follow along with the program? Just watch others and follow along? Or should I first approach an elder stating that this is my first service and have him walk me thru it? Or should I contact the church beforehand and possibly talk to the pastor to see if its even ok to attend? Is this all completely up to the specific congregation?
I do realize that it is closed communion. So I would only approach for a blessing.
Furthermore, I have been baptized. I imagine I wont need to be rebaptized, but might have to do an affirmation of baptism. What does that entail? Kind of like a mini confirmation?
So...thats alot of questions. Just want to be respectful to the tradition and not go in blindly.
Thanks for any guidance.

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a former LCMS member - yeah you can just go to a service. You shouldn’t commune - the official LCMS policy only opens communion to members of the LCMS. But feel free to sing along, ask someone next to you for help, and introduce yourself to the pastor at the end

Upvote 0

Kllrbee

Nov 28, 2019
RICHMOND
✟9,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Excellent. Thank you both.
Yes, I am most familiar with Catholic Mass and honestly, I love the tradition. I appreciate the high church stuff as opposed to the low church. Whether its needed, I dont know or care, but it suits my style of worship.
I will hold off on communion until I talk to the pastor and follow his instruction. If I have to prove somehow that I understand the Book of Concord to the other members, thats fine. If not, then thats ok too. Obviously, I would like/need to commune as soon as I can, but only properly and respectfully.

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟707,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I should give a little background first. Raised Catholic...walked away from any faith for many years. I wont get into that here, but I did.
God has restored faith in me and I have been trying to find my footing for the last few months. My beliefs and preferences line up almost exactly with Lutheran, especially LCMS.
BUT...this is all thru reading. I have never gone to a Lutheran service....much less LCMS specifically.
Can I expect to just go and kind of follow along with the program? Just watch others and follow along? Or should I first approach an elder stating that this is my first service and have him walk me thru it? Or should I contact the church beforehand and possibly talk to the pastor to see if its even ok to attend? Is this all completely up to the specific congregation?
I do realize that it is closed communion. So I would only approach for a blessing.
Furthermore, I have been baptized. I imagine I wont need to be rebaptized, but might have to do an affirmation of baptism. What does that entail? Kind of like a mini confirmation?
So...thats alot of questions. Just want to be respectful to the tradition and not go in blindly.
Thanks for any guidance.
I am glad to here that you are thinking of attending an LCMS church. I would arrive about 15 minutes early and quickly speak with the pastor before the service starts. Chances are if he does not recognize you he will approach you and ask if you are LCMS Lutheran. Most Pastors I know will allow you to go up to the communion rail for a blessing but check with the pastor first.

The order of service is basically the Western Liturgy so if you remember the order to the Roman Catholic Mass then you will also know the basic order of the Lutheran Divine Service. There are settings in the front part of the Lutheran Service Book so you can follow along.You can participate in every aspect of the Divine Service except for the reception of Communion. .

If you are baptized in the classical Trinitarian formula you are baptized and cannot be re-baptized. if there is some doubt the pastor may conditionally baptize you. Meaning he will basically say, "IF you are not already baptized. . . " Since you were raised Catholic this won't be an issue.

Since doctrine is important to us Lutherans the pastor will likely ask you to attend an adult believers class to prepare for confirmation/ reception. If you are interested in becoming Lutheran it is here I would ask to the tough questions. In fact your pastor is likely expecting this so don't be afraid.

All I can say is come to church and participate in what you can and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for any guidance.

(Staff Edit)
The LCMS and LCC practice Closed Communion. While some Pastors may chose to make exceptions to this; generally speaking they should not as doing so is at odds with the constitutions of our Synods. (I know it happens, but it should not). Most larger urban congregations will allow, and maybe even encourage non members to come forward for a blessing. My parish clearly states this in in our bulletin. Your baptism is valid, the particular Pastor/Congregation will determine how much instruction would be required, and if Confirmation or Profession of faith is required to join the congregation. The process is not difficult, but we do desire that new members understand what we teach and believe before affirming their belief in our doctrines.

We will be very pleased to answer any other questions that you may have.

In His peace,

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kllrbee
Upvote 0