• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

is this the mood of God in the old testament?

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by lambofgod43985889, Sep 15, 2020.

1. lambofgod43985889

lambofgod43985889 Well-Known Member Supporter

+308
    Chile
    Protestant
    Private
    Jeremiah Prays about His Enemies
    Please, Lord, answer my prayer.
    Make my enemies stop
    accusing me of evil.
    I tried to help them,
    but they are paying me back
    by digging a pit to trap me.
    I even begged you
    not to punish them.
    But now I am asking you
    to let their children starve
    or be killed in war.
    Let women lose
    their husbands and sons
    to disease and violence.
    These people have dug pits
    and set traps for me, Lord.
    Make them scream in fear
    when you send enemy troops
    to attack their homes.
    You know they plan to kill me.
    So get angry and punish them!
    Don’t ever forgive
    their terrible crimes.

In this time of god we would be startled by this.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+4,135
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    You should probably give the chapter and verses (e.g. Jeremiah 18:19-23). But, to the point, Jeremiah said a lot of things. Just because Jeremiah said it that doesn't mean it represents God's intentions. Have you read Jeremiah? The "Weeping Prophet" has his moments. Chapter 18 is one of them. Context, context, context.

I only say this in relation to this particular passage. There are a hundred other OT passages that would make your point.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  3. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,046
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    We are not supposed to initiate vengeance [Romans 12:19], but there are times --even today-- where God will speak Judgment through His people.

Acts of the Apostles 5:1-11 is a good example of that. Peter didn't curse anybody. He just explained what the Holy Spirit did.

There was a street preacher named "Holy Hubert" Lindsey who was a fixture at UC Berkeley. He was often beat up severely there even becoming blind and he kept coming back! During one of his sermons there, a man in the audience shouted something to the effect of "If you do not shut up and leave, right now, I am going to make you shut up!"

Hubert replied, "If you set foot on this stage, you will die."

In anger the man charged up to the stage. As soon as his foot touched it, he fell over dead, just as prophesied --and Hubert was Southern Baptist!

4. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+4,135
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Here, let's put this in the proper context. Let's imagine our Lord said these words from the cross.

Jesus is dying on the cross and says,
    "...now I am asking you
    to let their children starve
    or be killed in war.
    Let women lose
    their husbands and sons
    to disease and violence.
    These people have dug pits
    and set traps for me...
    Make them scream in fear
    when you send enemy troops
    to attack their homes."

Nope, it doesn't quite fit. If it doesn't look right through the lens of Christ, it is not for us.

5. lambofgod43985889

+308
    Chile
    Protestant
    Private
    They say, god is the same always
    But i mean god is the same with 2 different moods separated in ot and nt, 1000 years is one day for god, so imagine god has 2 days thinking in his grace before punishment

6. lambofgod43985889

+308
    Chile
    Protestant
    Private
    I remember the bald prophet and the bears

7. lambofgod43985889

+308
    Chile
    Protestant
    Private
    The god's mood

8. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,346
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    God made a covenant with a nation, Israel. They should have been the perfect nation, and example to the rest of the world of a just, righteous and holy society blessed by God. God had a "carrot and stick" covenant that Israel signed up to. It was simple. Obey God and be blessed. Disobey and be cursed. The prophets were God's spokesmen to warn Israel. Much like the rebellious people of this day, they rejected the prophets warnings. Often they silenced the prophets by killing them. So prophets would seek God for protection and for Him to deal with wicked.

Now we live under the covenant of grace. God has not changed but His methods have.

9. Sabertooth

+4,046
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    God does not owe anyone an apology for His Judgment but He would rather redeem us, then and now!

Noah invited others to join him on the Ark, before God closed the door, but there were no takers.

Jericho was a "devoted" city; that is, it was so corrupt/spiritually tainted that the Hebrews were not allowed to keep the spoils from that battle (as they normally would). But when one woman there properly feared the Living God, He spared her and her whole family. Read about Rahab in the book of Joshua. (She even went on to become an ancestrix to Jesus!)

Jonah's message to Ninevah was that God was absolutely going to destroy them (with no offer for repentance). They repented, anyway, and God turn away from judgment. (Jonah knew that would happen.)

God is just always looking for an excuse to save people! His Holiness is just so volatile to us in our fallen state that we must not take Him lightly.

10. lambofgod43985889

+308
    Chile
    Protestant
    Private
    God is a person he can change the kind of relationship he has with his people

11. Sabertooth

+4,046
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Especially after Jesus gave His sacrifice.

12. Sabertooth

+4,046
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    I think this song well captures that apparent ambivalence,
    Awesome God (Rich Mullins, 1988)

13. GOD Shines Forth!

GOD Shines Forth! My Weakness for His Strength Supporter

+619
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I LOVE my Old Testament! I am total free grace, but I love that other "mood" of God. It highlights how he loved Israel and would avenge them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. lambofgod43985889

+308
    Chile
    Protestant
    Private
    It's like a piece of literature for some...

15. Unqualified

Unqualified Member

+35
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Don’t be mad at God be on His side.

16. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,005
    Christian
    Married
    Bingo! Sorry, I don't get a like button.

17. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,005
    Christian
    Married
    Yes, God became man specifically to free us from bondage. That's why we can now have a different kind of relationship with him.