Is This Text Questioning God's All Knowing Ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Genesis 18:21

Why does this text make it sound like God is not certain of the goings on in Sodom and Gomorrah? I believe God is all knowing, but this makes God sound like he is not. Any ideas? I have some, but if you are familiar with me or any of my posts regarding the bible, you may already know what I'm going to say.:pray:

pimorton

May 13, 2004
Ohio
✟1,184.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since God was in covenant relationship with Abraham, He had an obligation to reveal his plans to Abraham in as far as those plans would impact Abraham or his family (Lot). He was also obligated to investigate the truth behind any allegation against Abraham or his family. To Abraham's mortal mind, God's omniscience is not an easy concept to comprehend, let alone all of its implications. By announcing His intent to investigate the report He had heard, God was telling Abraham He was living up to the requirements of the covenant, and could be relied upon to fulfill the other conditions of the covenant, including the promise of a son, which had just been restated.
Also, God made this comment in Abraham's hearing in order to initiate Abraham's response. This provided God an opportunity to demonstrate grace on Abraham's behalf in agreeing to spare the cities if 50, 45, 40, 30, 20, and finally 10 righteous men could be found.

Upvote 0

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
pimorton said:
Since God was in covenant relationship with Abraham, He had an obligation to reveal his plans to Abraham in as far as those plans would impact Abraham or his family (Lot). He was also obligated to investigate the truth behind any allegation against Abraham or his family. To Abraham's mortal mind, God's omniscience is not an easy concept to comprehend, let alone all of its implications. By announcing His intent to investigate the report He had heard, God was telling Abraham He was living up to the requirements of the covenant, and could be relied upon to fulfill the other conditions of the covenant, including the promise of a son, which had just been restated.
Also, God made this comment in Abraham's hearing in order to initiate Abraham's response. This provided God an opportunity to demonstrate grace on Abraham's behalf in agreeing to spare the cities if 50, 45, 40, 30, 20, and finally 10 righteous men could be found.
Still not clear as to why the text makes it sound like it does. You may have to post a more explained posting.

Upvote 0

jbarcher

ANE Social Science Researcher
Aug 25, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,136.00
Faith
Christian
Crispie said:
Can you give what it says, my computers not working that well right now and I dont have a bible on me.

NIV: that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."

NASB: "I will go down now, and see if they have done entirely according to its outcry, which has come to Me; and if not, I will know."

KVJ: I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

NKJV: I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

Pimorton's explanation I find quite understandable: "To Abraham's mortal mind, God's omniscience is not an easy concept to comprehend, let alone all of its implications. By announcing His intent to investigate the report He had heard, God was telling Abraham He was living up to the requirements of the covenant, and could be relied upon to fulfill the other conditions of the covenant, including the promise of a son, which had just been restated."

In simple terms, God says that He'll "check it out". If God were to say, "I knew a looooong time ago" ... oh dear.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
leecappella said:
Genesis 18:21

Why does this text make it sound like God is not certain of the goings on in Sodom and Gomorrah? I believe God is all knowing, but this makes God sound like he is not. Any ideas? I have some, but if you are familiar with me or any of my posts regarding the bible, you may already know what I'm going to say.:pray:
I guess the same could be said of God's walking through the garden, looking for Adam and Eve--or of his inquiring of Abel's whereabouts. Or look at the tower of Babel, seems to imply that God was really worried that man might become invincable.
There are a lot of the earliest stories in Genesis that are written and passed down from a differrent time and culture. God is, by one of the Torah writers, shown to be very "man-like" in his actions, his words, and his attitudes. I don't think we should read too much into it, I still believe God to be omniscient.
May not be much help, but that's what ran through my mind?

Upvote 0

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
herev said:
I guess the same could be said of God's walking through the garden, looking for Adam and Eve--or of his inquiring of Abel's whereabouts. Or look at the tower of Babel, seems to imply that God was really worried that man might become invincable.
There are a lot of the earliest stories in Genesis that are written and passed down from a differrent time and culture. God is, by one of the Torah writers, shown to be very "man-like" in his actions, his words, and his attitudes. I don't think we should read too much into it, I still believe God to be omniscient.
May not be much help, but that's what ran through my mind?
For me, thus far, the bible is merely a human response to the Spirit's leading. Their humanity does come through in scripture. That view does not take away from the view that scripture is inspired of God, but it does take into account that since humans are human, they can be inspired and still be human at the same time.

Upvote 0

Lady Di-USA

Jul 12, 2004
Kentucky, USA
✟249.00
Faith
Christian
God is ever all knowing. I believe he merely volunteered to review the situation for Abrahams benefit. Much as God reviews our hearts for our benefit.

Further down in the chapter there is conversation between God and Abraham. Abraham fears there will be a scarifice of a righteous one along with the sinners. God is assuring him that the righteous shall not fear.
Gen 18:32 He wouldn't quit, "Don't get angry, Master--this is the last time. What if you only come up with ten?" "For the sake of only ten, I won't destroy the city."

Gen 18:33
When GOD finished talking with Abraham, he left. And Abraham went home.

At that time God did not destroy the city.
God bless...:wave:

Reactions: rainbowprism
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.