• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

3. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  4. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

is this still ocd or a normal promise to God?

Discussion in 'Obsessive Compulsive Disorder' started by Kostilaks, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Kostilaks

Kostilaks Member

+244
    Greece
    Christian
    Single
    Maybe, more than 1.9 year ago, I was having compulsions to recheck my door if it is locked or if I had my boiler heater turned on before leaving the house

I was so tired and still carefree, because they were days of my ocd before mixing my normal ocd compulsions with God.

My ocd thought that it would be a good idea to make a promise to God to stop doing the compulsions and stop rechecking the heater or my oven or my door.

I could use the promise as an excuse to my ocd in order to stop bugging me for not doing the compulsions.

So, it seems that I told God about it and after that, I stopped rechecking cause I was scared. when I told God about it, I was not under pressure or anxious. I was healthy and carefree and just wanted to get rid of some ocd compulsions.

Yesterday, I thought I left my laptop speakers turned on and I was thinking that maybe a pop up message will pop up and make loud noise as while I am away. I remember my eye catching the speaker as I was preparing and I think I saw it turned off. after some minutes, I was not 100% sure.

I told myself that I want to be normal and just normal check for the first time, if it is turned on or not. so I checked and it was turned off.

ocd: you knew it was turned off. you just wanted to be sure. maybe that counts not as "checking for the first time of the day" but as "rechecking" cause you randomly, checked for a second, accidentally as you were preparing. so, now it counts as rechecking. and you told God in the past, that you would stop rechecking. and you asked for a punishment if you do it.

I do not remember having compulsions in the past about the sound of my laptop, but I think I remember making sure to be turned off before leaving the house. when I told that to God, I do not remember, if I was speaking only about the boiler heater which was my main compulsion, or if I was speaking in general for all things in my house not to be rechecked compulsively.

Is the promise valid, since it was maybe asked while I was normal and healthy? Does checking normally to see if the speaker is on or off counts as checking for the first time or does it count as rechecking? I was not 100% sure if it was turned off because I actually, did not check. my eye just noticed in a second that my speaker is turned off but I was not sure. I did not check 100% with my full motive to see if it is turned on or off. I did that later, because I was thinking that it will count as checking only once for the first time but I realized that my motive was due to ocd. would it be bad if it was turned on? my ocd forced me to check.

ocd: since ocd made you to check and you obeyed it, maybe it counted as if you were checking due to ocd. and if you already, accidentally checked once for a second, maybe that counted as the first check. so, now that you thought you were doing the first check, maybe it was actually, the second check, since you knew it was probably, turned off. and since, the motive was the ocd, maybe it counted as if you rechecked due to ocd. and that was a part of your promise not to redo it.

I am anxious because of this.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Phoebe Ann

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ Supporter

+8,790
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Such things are nerve-wracking for sure, but rest assured that God understands! His love will make everything good.

Philippians 4:6
    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

:praying:

3. At Your Footstool

At Your Footstool Cool people hang with Christ Supporter

+200
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    May The Lord's Grace meet you at the point of your need. :crossrc:

4. public hermit

public hermit Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,885
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Kostilaks, it's good to see you are still posting, but it saddens my heart that you're still struggling in this same way. Please, be at peace my friend. You know it is the ocd. Did you find a doctor to help you? Did you go back to that monestary and talk to the priest?

I know it helps to post here, but you need to talk to somebody face to face who will help you. I continue to pray for you bud. Be at peace, you know the truth. The only promise that you need to be worried about is the one you make to yourself to get some help. Make that promise and then go do it.