• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is this my fault? Help help help

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pray please pray for me and my marriage.I don't think I can take any more but I can't leave because I don't believe in divorce and it would give the name of Jesus a bad name. I am so tired.

I didn't swear for years but now in the past months I do swear ...Lord forgive me!!! But it's been a few years my husband has been calling me names, 4 months after we were married, like dumb stupid lazy useless, says other people think I am dumb too and most times I try to be quiet and not respond or would try to defend myself without retaliation. But I got angry tonight, it was too much.

He's said to me last year that he was disappointed in me and because he knows how the Lord thinks, the Lord is disappointed in me too. He often makes tick sounds with his tongue during the day in response to things I say or do, to show his disgust or disapproval.

Please pray that my husband will forgive me for calling him names and that our marriage will be restored. That if necessary his mistreatment of me would be revealed to others but most importantly without me having to say a word or reveal anything so that I will not get blamed for revealing any thing.
I cannot go to anyone cause if he treats me bad like this for trivialities (it's not all the time though) I would be super afraid of what he in the privacy of our own home afterwards for something as big as going public with this. It would be over cause I would be too scared at that point

Pray please that he will appreciate me for who I am, that he would love me right. And stop calling me dumb stupid.

He used to call me names more often and worse, but he has improved.and I believe in response to prayers on this forum before.
I get criticized for the way I speak, the way I eat (too fast), the way I drink (make toomuch noise), my weight, the way I do things... too often.... yet then he'll compliment me out if the blue.

Friday we were at the mall and he told me to wait in the driver seat for him to return, and to move the car if someone is behind me but to stay put .

A car came up to I drove forward and turned the corner and a parking space was just becoming liberated. I waited a few minutes and texted him to let me know where I was when he comes out.

He was so angry that I was not waiting in front near the exit and got upset, called me stupid, dumb etc.... He said he only meant moving a foot of two to let cars pass.

I tried to explain myself but it didn't work.

So I opened the window cause I knew he would stop yelling at me and he did. Window goes up and he continues.

So at one point I angled my finger towards him and said he was a hypocrite. He grabbed my wrist so hard that it burned and 30 minutes later the pink imprint of my watch was still there on my skin. I went to church later trying not to burst into tears during the meeting.

He said I put my finger in his face and not to do that when he was driving. . But I was in the passenger side and could only angle my arm towards him up, maybe I was close.

Tonight I did an excel sheet of all medical expenses. He started to yell at me cause i put notes in the 1st column, so I told him I will fix it. I removed them and resent him the file. Then he was upset because I had put all of the expenses even those covered by insurance on the sheet at 0.00 (I had highlighted those that we paid). I initially understood when he started yelling at me that he wanted them all at the nearest dollar but then understood he meant just put those expenses we were not reimbursed for. So he started yelling again and calling me stupid and dumb cause an accountant wouldn't need those figures. Saying he would give it to someone else to do. I said all he had to say was to remove the ones at 0.00 .....but I had put them all there as I was listing every one to be sure not to miss any.

He kept at it so much that I swore at him 3 times the f word and he came to where I was sitting and grabbed me by the shoulders hard and pushed me back in the chair and then grabbed my neck pushing it back. I have red marks on my shoulders, but a little bit red on my neck but nothing permanent and they are fading. The areas burn.

He said I was not saved cause I swore. When I told him I was not like this before he said yes you were ...it was in you all the time but it only came out now. Like it's being revealed now. How can anyone deal with being called stupid so many times.

I have to admit after he roughed me up I swore at him again a few times because I am so angry at being put down.. at one point after I said a swear word he looks up and said ."you hear her Lord"....as if I am the bad guy.

He took the computer off my desk, saying it was his and I had to put my stuff in a plastic container where it remains.

I am so so so so tired of being called dumb and stupid.

No one would believe me and would probably blame me by saying I am not saved or that he married beneath him.

He is so good at being kind, considerate outside the home. He knows the Word of God very well and prays beautifully and is highly respected by a lot of people, but not all.

I am the loser, the one with no talent or accomplishments that he married and as he says is blessed to be with him. He said other women we know would love to be in my shoes and starts naming them.

He's not evil but like me has areas he needs to work on. I have to stop swearing.

The devil would love for us to be divorced but I want to obey the Lord.

Please pray.

Last edited:

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HI there and you are not stupid and Ive been around long enough to know that a women reflects how she is treated. Your man is destroying your love for him by not praising or encouraging you and instead demeaning you. You have a couple of options but for sure pretending there is not a drastic problem is not one option. You should seek a Christian counselor and not a psychologist who has a dove or fish on their business card but someone who holds to Biblical truth. Your man is supposed to love you like Christ loved the church and give himself up for you. He has probably got some other issues and takes it out on you or perhaps this si the way it was in his home with his mom and dad. One thing is for sure you need to make a stand and not take the verbal abuse. You are venting a huge repression of anger and sadness at how you are being treated. There is a book called Love and Respect it is a Christian marriage book that talks about the biggest needs of men which is respect and women is to be loved. Perhaps you might go through it and see if there is anything that relates to your situation. YOu will certainly be swearing if the source of your aggravation does not change.
Thank you. He says its in me. But I was not like this in the beginning years. I keep hoping that by some miracle the Lord will give me the ability to just be quiet all the time.

I am so sad and I don't feel loved but feel I have to keep the pressure to perform and not make mistakes.

I get criticized for the way I speak, the way I eat (too fast), the way I drink (make toomuch noise), my weight, the way I do things... too often.... yet then he'll compliment me out if the blue by saying I am his best asset, (in my friendly personality, people tend to like me).

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Please get out to safety as soon as you can. I am praying you can find a more local women in distress type of organization for abused women. You can't change an abuser, only God can, but God does not want you to be abused in the meantime. Please at least call the help line as there are many things to do ... and they will assure you that it's not "you".... no matter what you may have said or done that he has issues with, regardless, no one has to suffer abuse.

:prayer: Father I do humble ask that you give guidance and wisdom and most of all safety in this matter. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you believe. .... he came to see me insisting that he didn't call me dumb or stupid and that I swore first then he called me dumb/stupid.

So I told him it didn't happen that way, that he called me dumb stupid first.

After me repeating the truth to him, he says " I said you were being dumb....."

So I kept on insisting that was not true and he starts raising his voice, calling me lazy and dumb and stupid ..again.

Seriously is this a spiritual attack of some sort? What confusion!

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you believe. .... he came to see me insisting that he didn't call me dumb or stupid and that I swore first then he called me dumb/stupid.

So I told him it didn't happen that way, that he called me dumb stupid first.

After me repeating the truth to him, he says " I said you were being dumb....."

So I kept on insisting that was not true and he starts raising his voice, calling me lazy and dumb and stupid ..again.

Seriously is this a spiritual attack of some sort? What confusion!

I am sorry your husband does not love you as the bible teaches us men to. The sacrifical standard that Jesus gives is hard to live up to, but he completly misses the mark.

Please talk to your pastor and to his wife, get there help and support.

If he is not willing to change his ways and actually encourage and care for you, you will have to divorce him before he becomes even more violent and controlling.
Please talk to your minister or his wife.

• Agree
Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The hardest type of person to help is an abused wife. It is VERY difficult to get them to separate from their husband.

This is because the abuser has utilized tactics, such as you describe above, to convince them their perceptions are not accurate. This is called gaslighting.

This is also why so many wives stay with or return to husbands who have physically abused them and are killed.

I implore you to call or visit a women's shelter today for advice. They help women in your situation every day. They usually have a lot of experience with where your situation will go.

Also, you should call the police every time he assaults you. An assault is a threatening tone or demeanor that causes you reasonable fear that the assaulter will hurt you. Since he has battered you twice in the course of his assaults, you have every reason to be afraid when he starts behaving in the way you describe above.

He already battered you once (on your wrist), and he suffered no consequences. He was not held to account. You hid it from others and did not call the police. So then he was bolder next time he battered you and attacked you by the throat. Again, you hid it from others and did not call the police. I fear and dread how much further he will escalate his battery next time as he is becoming entitled to grievously abuse you with no consequences.

You are in grave danger. Please take action today.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please talk to your minister or his wife.

Many pastors are not equipped or trained to deal with these situations as well as a women's shelter. In this case, crimes have been committed and civic resources are available to provide safety and very specific, deep expertise with resources.

Upvote 0

Little Lantern

Be encouraged! Christ has overcome the world!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2017
USA
✟223,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Itsahappyday, you might want to create a thread in the Christian Advice column since we are not supposed to give advice on the Prayer Wall. You are clearly in an abusive situation, and I'm glad you are beginning to see that. One tactic of abusers is lying about what they said or did in order to make their victims feel like they are going crazy. I'm praying for God to enable you to see through the lies that are being hurled at you and to direct you in this. :praying:

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many pastors are not equipped or trained to deal with these situations as well as a women's shelter. In this case, crimes have been committed and civic resources are available to provide safety and very specific, deep expertise with resources.

as you are well aware the poor womans self confidence is under attack and it takes great self confidence to go to the police about ones husband.
It is important to get women in abusive marriages talking to others about their relationship so they can be helped and supported in taking what ever steps are neccesary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The hardest type of person to help is an abused wife. It is VERY difficult to get them to separate from their husband.

This is because the abuser has utilized tactics, such as you describe above, to convince them their perceptions are not accurate. This is called gaslighting.

This is also why so many wives stay with or return to husbands who have physically abused them and are killed.

I implore you to call or visit a women's shelter today for advice. They help women in your situation every day. They usually have a lot of experience with where your situation will go.

Also, you should call the police every time he assaults you. An assault is a threatening tone or demeanor that causes you reasonable fear that the assaulter will hurt you. Since he has battered you twice in the course of his assaults, you have every reason to be afraid when he starts behaving in the way you describe above.

He already battered you once (on your wrist), and he suffered no consequences. He was not held to account. You hid it from others and did not call the police. So then he was bolder next time he battered you and attacked you by the throat. Again, you hid it from others and did not call the police. I fear and dread how much further he will escalate his battery next time as he is becoming entitled to grievously abuse you with no consequences.

You are in grave danger. Please take action today.

But is it my fault because I swore at him? If i had not then he probably would not have hurt me.

Does he hate me? He says he doesn't.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But is it my fault because I swore at him? If i had not then he probably would not have hurt me.

Does he hate me? He says he doesn't.

Itsahappyday, it is not your fault your body is responding to this extreme stress. If you are afraid your husband will hurt you, call the police.

The reason abused women are so hard to help is because their husband has convinced them to accept and believe a skewed reality, which is called "gaslighting". It is very hard to convince them that THEY are the ones who are OK, and their husbands are not only messed up but dangerous.

It doesn't matter if he hates you or not at this point. That's like worrying about the color of the deck chairs on the Titanic. What matters is that you stay safe. Statistically speaking, you are in HIGH danger of losing your life to his dangerous anger.

You have had two warning incidents, the second having escalated far worse after he got away with the first incident with no consequences. I fear for your life and safety, and I fear that you are not recognizing the grave danger you are in.

• Agree
Reactions: Runswithdogs
Upvote 0

Itsahappyday

Dec 12, 2016
north america
✟31,046.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Itsahappyday, it is not your fault your body is responding to this extreme stress. If you are afraid your husband will hurt you, call the police.

The reason abused women are so hard to help is because their husband has convinced them to accept and believe a skewed reality, which is called "gaslighting". It is very hard to convince them that THEY are the ones who are OK, and their husbands are not only messed up but dangerous.

It doesn't matter if he hates you or not at this point. That's like worrying about the color of the deck chairs on the Titanic. What matters is that you stay safe. Statistically speaking, you are in HIGH danger of losing your life to his dangerous anger.

You have had two warning incidents, the second having escalated far worse after he got away with the first incident with no consequences. I fear for your life and safety, and I fear that you are not recognizing the grave danger you are in.

My husband is super concerned about his reputation and that the work he does doesn't suffer in any way and doing anything to me that others would notice I am not sure. Whenever he hurts me it rarely leaves a lasting bruise but usually just is red and burns/hurts for awhile. His concern for his reputation is why I am not as scared though when I think of the way his hands were on either side of my neck, it does makes me a bit more concerned.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband is super concerned about his reputation and that the work he does doesn't suffer in any way and doing anything to me that others would notice I am not sure. Whenever he hurts me it rarely leaves a lasting bruise but usually just is red and burns/hurts for awhile. His concern for his reputation is why I am not as scared though when I think of the way his hands were on either side of my neck, it does makes me a bit more concerned.

Itsahappyday, this concern for his reputation is VERY typical for a physically abusive spouse. I think they all consult the same textbook.

He should be so concerned about his reputation that he doesn't do anything to damage it! It's not the telling that damages his reputation, it's the doing.

This is a prayer wall, not an advice wall, and since we're not supposed to give advice here, I just focused a response only to the danger you are in. If you move your thread to the marriage section we can discuss these other issues further.

May God bless you and keep you. May he give you the courage you need to stand up for yourself, a precious child of his.
E.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pray please pray for me and my marriage.I don't think I can take any more but I can't leave because I don't believe in divorce and it would give the name of Jesus a bad name. I am so tired.

I didn't swear for years but now in the past months I do swear ...Lord forgive me!!! But it's been a few years my husband has been calling me names, 4 months after we were married, like dumb stupid lazy useless, says other people think I am dumb too and most times I try to be quiet and not respond or would try to defend myself without retaliation. But I got angry tonight, it was too much.

He's said to me last year that he was disappointed in me and because he knows how the Lord thinks, the Lord is disappointed in me too. He often makes tick sounds with his tongue during the day in response to things I say or do, to show his disgust or disapproval.

Please pray that my husband will forgive me for calling him names and that our marriage will be restored. That if necessary his mistreatment of me would be revealed to others but most importantly without me having to say a word or reveal anything so that I will not get blamed for revealing any thing.
I cannot go to anyone cause if he treats me bad like this for trivialities (it's not all the time though) I would be super afraid of what he in the privacy of our own home afterwards for something as big as going public with this. It would be over cause I would be too scared at that point

Pray please that he will appreciate me for who I am, that he would love me right. And stop calling me dumb stupid.

He used to call me names more often and worse, but he has improved.and I believe in response to prayers on this forum before.
I get criticized for the way I speak, the way I eat (too fast), the way I drink (make toomuch noise), my weight, the way I do things... too often.... yet then he'll compliment me out if the blue.

Friday we were at the mall and he told me to wait in the driver seat for him to return, and to move the car if someone is behind me but to stay put .

A car came up to I drove forward and turned the corner and a parking space was just becoming liberated. I waited a few minutes and texted him to let me know where I was when he comes out.

He was so angry that I was not waiting in front near the exit and got upset, called me stupid, dumb etc.... He said he only meant moving a foot of two to let cars pass.

So I opened the window cause I knew he would stop yelling at me and he did. Window goes up and he continues.

So at one point I angled my finger towards him and said he was a hypocrite. He grabbed my wrist so hard that it burned and 30 minutes later the pink imprint of my watch was still there on my skin. I went to church later trying not to burst into tears during the meeting.

He said I put my finger in his face and not to do that when he was driving. . But I was in the passenger side and could only angle my arm towards him up, maybe I was close.

Tonight I did an excel sheet of all medical expenses. He started to yell at me cause i put notes in the 1st column, so I told him I will fix it. I removed them and resent him the file. Then he was upset because I had put all of the expenses even those covered by insurance on the sheet at 0.00 (I had highlighted those that we paid). I initially understood when he started yelling at me that he wanted them all at the nearest dollar but then understood he meant just put those expenses we were not reimbursed for. So he started yelling again and calling me stupid and dumb cause an accountant wouldn't need those figures. Saying he would give it to someone else to do. I said all he had to say was to remove the ones at 0.00 .....but I had put them all there as I was listing every one to be sure not to miss any.

He kept at it so much that I swore at him 3 times the f word and he came to where I was sitting and grabbed me by the shoulders hard and pushed me back in the chair and then grabbed my neck pushing it back. I have red marks on my shoulders, but a little bit red on my neck but nothing permanent and they are fading. The areas burn.

He said I was not saved cause I swore. When I told him I was not like this before he said yes you were ...it was in you all the time but it only came out now. Like it's being revealed now. How can anyone deal with being called stupid so many times.

I have to admit after he roughed me up I swore at him again a few times because I am so angry at being put down.. at one point after I said a swear word he looks up and said ."you hear her Lord"....as if I am the bad guy.

He took the computer off my desk, saying it was his and I had to put my stuff in a plastic container where it remains.

No one would believe me and would probably blame me by saying I am not saved or that he married beneath him.

He is so good at being kind, considerate outside the home. He knows the Word of God very well and prays beautifully and is highly respected by a lot of people, but not all.

I am the loser, the one with no talent or accomplishments that he married and as he says is blessed to be with him. He said other women we know would love to be in my shoes and starts naming them.

He's not evil but like me has areas he needs to work on. I have to stop swearing.

Please pray.
Father, I pray that this one will come to You and Your Word in such a way that they will know how to have such a relationship with You that they will receive forgiveness of sins, as well as a good sense of the great worth that You put upon them. I pray that this will revolutionize their thinking; that they will be able to "humbly" lift up their head in recognition of You the "Lifter up of heads."
Thank You Lord, for lifting us up, rather than putting us down. I give great thanks that Jesus was lifted up on the cross in our place, so that we could be forgiven our sins, and lifted up to glory with You. May the humility in Christians be combined with the sense of the value You place upon us, in such a way that the world will take notice and envy what we have to such a degree that many in it will to be "converted" to faith in Christ, the great God that You are. I pray this specifically for this woman and her husband. Amen.

Reactions: Itsahappyday
Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Please pray.
Father, I have read this post before, so I ask You to remember my former response, as I lift this one up to You again. Give them a fresh reminder of Your love, power, and will for them. Guide them into the victory and peace You would like them to have. Amen.

• Agree
Reactions: Itsahappyday
Upvote 0