small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
From a theological point of view the argument would be that God is absolutely sovereign and therefore everything God does is just. However from a human POV this justice "would" seem to be applied unequally and therefore unfair. The question of repentance was not mentioned in the OP and therefore does not enter in this discussion. Speaking personally, I find much of theology to be highly speculative and therefore I lean towards the human understanding ---- justice must be seen to be done.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
(Borrowed)

Suppose 10 people sin and sin equally. Suppose God punishes five of them, and is merciful to the other five.

Is this injustice?
Justice comes by punishing them all. If there is an injustice, then it is not because the five were punished, but because the other five were forgiven. Yet, forgiveness is easily forgiven. Where there is forgiveness, there is no injustice. Therefore, the short answer is that it is not an injustice.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That is not how it works.

All 10 can be forgiven, 5 of them chose not to be.

2 Peter 3:9
9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
That doesn’t answer the question.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Borrowed)

Suppose 10 people sin and sin equally. Suppose God punishes five of them, and is merciful to the other five.

Is this injustice?
It is inconsequential as we have a just God.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
God has indicated many places a desire to save everyone. Either everyone is saved or every one who can be. Thus the answer to the original question has to be no, absent some difference that makes it possible to save some of them and not others.

• Agree
Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If it is arbitrary, it is not just. The OP scenario places emphasis on the arbitrariness of the judgement. One might claim that God is just no matter what God does, but that is just as arbitrary. So, one conclusion might be that mercy is arbitrary and not just. There are good reasons to think that is the case. However, that leads us to the conclusion that if God is merciful, then God is arbitrary and not just.

What to do? How can God be both merciful and just? It seems to me the only real option is that God be merciful to all, or merciful to none. Anything short of those two options is arbitrary and unjust.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What if none repented?
That may be an irrelevant question.
Philippians 2:10 - That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that the Lord Jesus Christ is Lord in the glory of God the Father.
Romans 14:11 - For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Isaiah 45:23 - I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth [in] righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If it is arbitrary, it is not just. The OP scenario places emphasis on the arbitrariness of the judgement. One might claim that God is just no matter what God does, but that is just as arbitrary. So, one conclusion might be that mercy is arbitrary and not just. There are good reasons to think that is the case. However, that leads us to the conclusion that if God is merciful, then God is arbitrary and not just.

What to do? How can God be both merciful and just? It seems to me the only real option is that God be merciful to all, or merciful to none. Anything short of those two options is arbitrary and unjust.
Agreed; He is merciful to all.

• Agree
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Was God's choice of Israel arbitrary?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Was God's choice of Israel arbitrary?

That's not the OP situation. The OP presents a complete set, split evenly. The OP scenario would be more analogous to a final judgment. What you are referencing is the choice (creation) of a people through whom the means of redemption would come. Different scenario. All that to say, the arbitrariness of that choice is not unjust, because it's not a judgment in the final sense of the word.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That's not the OP situation. The OP presents a complete set, split evenly. The OP scenario would be more analogous to a final judgment. What you are referencing is the choice (creation) of a people through whom the means of redemption would come. Different scenario. All that to say, the arbitrariness of that choice is not unjust, because it's not a judgment in the final sense of the word.
But it was a judgement. God was preparing Israel, while in Egypt, to bring judgement upon the inhabitants of Canaan.
Genesis 15:16
"Then in the fourth generation they will return here, for the iniquity of the Amorite is not yet complete."
When God chose to have mercy on Israel, He overlooked the rest of civilization by default.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,526.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Since when does God have to bow to 'logic'?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When God chose to have mercy on Israel, He overlooked the rest of civilization by default.

I'm taking the OP scenario in terms of final judgment. I realize that is not explicitly stated, but if it's not, then the situation is still open and God may be merciful towards those whom he is now punishing and punish the ones towards whom he is now being merciful. And if that's the case in the OP scenario then it loses its force as an interesting scenario. So, it needs to be taken in terms of final judgment. Your example doesn't fit the scenario.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
God has indicated many places a desire to save everyone. Either everyone is saved or every one who can be. Thus the answer to the original question has to be no, absent some difference that makes it possible to save some of them and not others.
That makes it sound like He’s obligated to try.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Why does arbitrary matter?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.