West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is this God?: The Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit?

Three different Persons but one God?
yes God is manifest in three persons, God the father, God the son and God the Holy Spirit they are three distinct persons but one God. I look at it like this, it's not a 1+1+1=3 formula, it's a 1X1X1=1 formula. See each person of the Godhead magnifies each other, the Spirit the son...John 15:26, and the Son Glorifies the Father John 8:54.
What it is not: three offices of one God, what it is not....3 Gods.

another illustration is the triple aspect of water, it can appear as ICE, vapor or liquid but it's still water. Same to with the Trinity, God can manifest as the Holy Spirit, the Son, or The father. They are still on God. But this is not a perfect illustration because it supports the 3 offices of God. But I just use it to prove that compound unity does exist mathematically and in science both.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think of Jesus as the fleshly part that is seen in the world, the Father as the soul that the Son confers with to intellectually understand the world, and the Spirit as the guiding principal that holds it all together. We are three part beings as is the trinity of the Godhead.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It's like water. It can be a solid (ice), a liquid (fluid), and a gas (steam/vapor). But it's all still water.
Practically nothing in your analogy corresponds to Trinity.

The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are not just changing forms of some underlying entity. Its actually a heresy called oneness (it says that God is just one person manifesting in various forms - modalism).

The generally accepted teaching about Trinity is that they are without change and they are different persons in perfect unity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
iu

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What the Trinity is, what it isn't, and why analogies for the Trinity/Godhead never really work. Enjoy :)

thanks I like that.

I did use an analogy that does work, the 1X1X1=1 version, I posted in this post:
Is this God?

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
thanks I like that.

I did use an analogy that does work, the 1X1X1=1 version, I posted in this post:
Is this God?
You can also say 1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1 = 1.

There is actually nothing in it explaining three persons in perfect unity, it just says that if you have one item, you can say "its just one item" as many times as you want.

As the funny video posted in this thread stated, its probably best to not use any analogies and to simply state the basic facts about Trinity.

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus and the Father have the same name.

John 17:11
I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are.

They have the same name so how can anyone distinguish them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Lots of ways to explain it...

Here's another.

Father = Source

Son = design/concept/word

Spirit = Sustaining Power

All three are present and unified in any action.
How can a person be a design or a concept or a power?

This explanation needs more explanations than the actual description of Trinity :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Lots of ways to explain it...

Here's another.

Father = Source

Son = design/concept/word

Spirit = Sustaining Power

All three are present and unified in any action.
I like that I have an articLe I will post later about this very analogy....thanks.

Also here is some humor for your average anti trinitarian groups....
Screenshot_2020-03-31-02-25-28.png

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Luke 11
One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."
He said to them, "When you pray, say: "`Father, [1] hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. [2]
Give us each day our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. [3] And lead us not into temptation. [4] '"

Meaning, we are to pray to the Father, not Christ, and not the Holy Spirit. There is a Hierarchy there and God is like the Boss, Christ is very close to that, but lets call him the foreman with the authority to do all God can (as far as I know) then the Holy Spirit which is the Spirit or "attitude" of the holiness, or goodness of God/Christ inside of us. Or in short, the Holy Spirit is simply the attitude which causes us to strive to be good.

Upvote 0