• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm finding myself struggling again and I have a question. I keep thinking God is telling me (verbally in my head) to give up something like creative writing I haven't gotten a clear answer as to why I should do this, so I asked God if He wants me to give it up and I hear "of course not." then later on I think He's telling me I need to give it up because it is getting in the way of our relationship.

I've been telling myself I can tell God from OCD if I feel peace when the thought comes into my mind. But I've felt peace both times, the more recent time I felt peace (I think) and was stressed to the point of tears, because I don't understand how God could keep changing His mind, this has been going on for around two months and I am tired, maybe I did something wrong and now He's decided I can't do it anymore? are any of these voices God's? I don't understand thid but I refuse to think poorly of Him, but this is extremely confusing. Please help!

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I am not too big on God speaking directly to us. I once had a friend who apparently inherited the depression gene from his father and one time when my friend was especially bad, I went to visit him. He told me that he had quit all his medications, as God wanted him to do so. Now I am not saying that we should not pray for guidance or that God never tells us anything, but I suspect that God telling us something directly is a pretty rare event. By the way, I love your photo of what looks like a guinea pig. I had pet hamsters long ago, so your photo appeals to me.

Upvote 0

Bro. Daniel

Prophet & Psalmist
Aug 22, 2017
Eph. 1:4, Ps. 139:15, Jer. 1:5, Virginia, U.S.
✟15,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm finding myself struggling again and I have a question. I keep thinking God is telling me (verbally in my head) to give up something like creative writing I haven't gotten a clear answer as to why I should do this, so I asked God if He wants me to give it up and I hear "of course not." then later on I think He's telling me I need to give it up because it is getting in the way of our relationship.

I've been telling myself I can tell God from OCD if I feel peace when the thought comes into my mind. But I've felt peace both times, the more recent time I felt peace (I think) and was stressed to the point of tears, because I don't understand how God could keep changing His mind, this has been going on for around two months and I am tired, maybe I did something wrong and now He's decided I can't do it anymore? are any of these voices God's? I don't understand thid but I refuse to think poorly of Him, but this is extremely confusing. Please help!

Pray to cancel out, muzzle and bind all voices that aren't of Him, the Holy Spirit, or Jesus inside and around you in Jesus' name then ask God to confirm again.

I heard Him say no but pray again to confirm just in case after silencing everything around you that's not of God.

Blessings,

Philippians 4:20

Upvote 0

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Basil the Great
Thank you, this is helpful and actually reminded me of something that happened to me a while ago, I would refuse to seek help or accept medicine when I was around 13 because I thought it demonstrated a lack of faith in God, but I've gotten over that for the most part.
I use to have hamsters too, but now I have a guinea pig! ( she is not the one in the icon though)

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I don't think God's messages would be so confusing. Remember how Gideon tested the commands of God by asking for a sign from outside his own head . . . the fleece. You have a right to ask for something like that from God as a sign, because of your sincere confusion. If the voice is not able to give a confirmation from without, it is fair to question that voice.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

I don't think that the Lord will stop you from doing anything that glorifies Him Gingerine. If you believe that your creative writing is a blessing to the Lord and others, then keep at it. God bless you child:).

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why not start a little book of things you ask God in your OCD times, and then the answers you receive when you are at peace... that way, if you keep it organized, you can get a thought and then check to see what answer God gave you before, and trust Him to be the same? :prayer:

• Useful
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand thid but I refuse to think poorly of Him, but this is extremely confusing. Please help!
For finding a line of work in this world, it should suit your inborn talents, ie are you better in social/human skill or technical skill.?
... For ordinary Christians, nearly all guidance from God come from His Law/Word and the Prophets/Apostles. Eg avoid unlawful work that harm others or self.

LUKE.16: =
27 “Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ 29 Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’”

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Feeling the need to give up something you love is typical with OCD. Most things in life, I find, require a balance. Take time to pray and spend time with God, but also let yourself do things you enjoy! Don't focus too much on your feelings - whether or not you feel "peace," etc. Trust that if it feels like OCD, it probably is. :) It sounds like you've had OCD in other areas of your life as well? Have you gotten any help for it? Medication, counseling, self-treatment?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That to me sounds like satan is trying to confuse you by speaking to you in both cases to quit writing and of course not. It seems to me he is giving you a false peace feeling.
GOD is not just feeling but, a Spirit.
You should pray in the Holy Spirit for awhile and see what happens.

Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

Shawb

Mar 13, 2017
Connecticut
✟31,365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can attest to this that this probably your ocd. I have been having these thoughts for weeks now. I don’t believe God would tell you to give something up unless it is a significant problem for you. If anything it sounds you are grateful to God for hobbies. I know I am happy for the interest and hobbies that God has given me in my life. I pray that we may both have relief from this and enjoy our hobbies with praises to Lord and joy in our hearts.

• Agree
Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0