Is this common knowledge or silly conspiracy theory?

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is any of this possibly true and discussed in the EO church. Does the Patriarch Kirill actually hold the views as presented in the article or are these exaggerations or lies? If true this is a little frightening if Putin is on board.

excerpts from an article about the ROC:

'The head of the Russian Orthodox Church has warned that mankind is approaching the end of history. After a November 20 service at Moscow’s Christ the Savior Cathedral, Patriarch Kirill said, “One must be blind not to see the approach of the terrible moments of history about which the apostle and evangelist John the theologian spoke in his Revelation.”'

Putin is our “katechon,” Dugin told Catholic News Service, referring to “the figure mentioned by St. Paul in his writings concerning the end of time.”

Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplain went as far as to infer that Russia’s God-given mission was to stop America. “It is no coincidence that we have often, at the price of our own lives … stopped all global projects that disagreed with our conscience, with our vision of history and, I would say, with God’s own truth,” he told Interfax in 2014. “Such was Napoleon’s project; such was Hitler’s project. We will stop the American project too.”

Once the Russian Orthodox Church defeated American secularism, Chaplain explained, Russia would assume its rightful, leading role in the world.

source:
Russian Orthodox Patriarch Warns of End-time Apocalypse

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Is any of this possibly true and discussed in the EO church. Does the Patriarch Kirill actually hold the views as presented in the article or are these exaggerations or lies? If true this is a little frightening if Putin is on board.

excerpts from an article about the ROC:

'The head of the Russian Orthodox Church has warned that mankind is approaching the end of history. After a November 20 service at Moscow’s Christ the Savior Cathedral, Patriarch Kirill said, “One must be blind not to see the approach of the terrible moments of history about which the apostle and evangelist John the theologian spoke in his Revelation.”'

Putin is our “katechon,” Dugin told Catholic News Service, referring to “the figure mentioned by St. Paul in his writings concerning the end of time.”

Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplain went as far as to infer that Russia’s God-given mission was to stop America. “It is no coincidence that we have often, at the price of our own lives … stopped all global projects that disagreed with our conscience, with our vision of history and, I would say, with God’s own truth,” he told Interfax in 2014. “Such was Napoleon’s project; such was Hitler’s project. We will stop the American project too.”

Once the Russian Orthodox Church defeated American secularism, Chaplain explained, Russia would assume its rightful, leading role in the world.

source:
Russian Orthodox Patriarch Warns of End-time Apocalypse

It certainly seems like something he would say so it doesn't surprise me at all.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟674,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The wikipedia page on Kirill claims:

'In cultural and social affairs the Church under Kirill has collaborated closely with the Russian state under President Vladimir Putin. Patriarch Kirill has backed the expansion of Russian power into Crimea and eastern Ukraine. During the Ukrainian Orthodox Church autocephaly controversy, Patriarch Kirill was the presiding chairman of the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church when the decision was made to break Eucharistic communion with the Ecumenical Patriarchate on 15 October 2018'

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd say it needs further investigation.

As Fr. Matt has said, we've been in the end times since Pentecost.

It doesn't fit well with the ethos of the Russian Orthodox I know. I can't really say about Pat. Kirill. So I'd be surprised if it was "common knowledge". But I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that the "Katechon" is our Lord, Jesus Christ, Whose presence in the world in His Body (the Church) is what continues to restrain, until the great falling away preceding the reign of Anti-Christ. I don't believe it's Vladimir Putin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In Orthodox tradition the one who restrains was the Roman Empire. The murder of the last tsar was seen as the removal of the one who restrains. It's usually a secular power who enforces morality, so yes it would make sense to equate Putin as a restraining force.
The entire quotes were said in different years by different people and presented in a propagandistic style. Out of context and devoid of any cultural understanding.

Upvote 0